“never disappoints”

Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have been to Cedar Barn many times and have never been disappointed. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food is fantastic. Helpings are big and the chips are to die for. Well worth a visit

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Looking for a deli and found it here, saved the day! I was pleased to see it is still open, it is nice to wander around the shop and pick up a lot of good food in your basket.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This afternoon I needed a chicken to cook for supper. I always buy good quality free range ones but wasn't sure where I would find one. Then it came to me - Cedar Barn advertises itself as selling good quality meat - I'd be sure to find a free range chicken there. The chickens looked very nice and I don't know what made me ask for I felt certain they must be free range ...... but they were not - they were barn reared!!! There was no label on the chickens except to say the price. I am sure that anyone who buys a chicken in a farm shop (at an inflated price) assumes that it is free range and there should have been a label to say just what the chickens were. Needless to say I won't be buying Chicken (or anything else) at Cedar Barn. I'll stick to the Coop who can at least be trusted to tell me what it is I am buying.

Mandy A, Owner at Cedarbarn Farm Shop and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear TrishPickering
Thank you for your comments, we always welcome feed back, positive or negative.
I am sorry you are so devastated by your experience at the Cedarbarn and I have to say we are slightly taken aback by your comments, perhaps we may clarify;-
When we opened the butchery in 2009, for customer choice we stocked both barn reared and free range chickens however there is quite a substantial difference in the price and we found that the free range didn't sell very well so we stopped having them as a regular stock item just ordering them in for customers who request them, which we still do, as our butcher explained to you. He does recall your conversation.
I wasn't aware that Farm Shops and Quality Butchers were only allowed to sell free range chickens ?
The chickens we sell at the Cedarbarn are quality, locally barn reared and well looked after, like you said they look very nice, they are plump and fresh not pumped full of water, and eat beautifully, our customers I assume chose this alternative because they enjoyed the taste.
Sadly we do not have the buying power of the supermarkets but we retail at the lowest price we are able and to suit everyone's pocket. I am sorry if you didn't quite grasp /understand his explanation, but rest assured we value our customers and they are safe in the knowledge of the quality meat they are purchasing and we are very upset that you should infer otherwise.
We produce our own Aberdeen Angus beef and lamb, our free range pork is sourced from a farm just down the road, game from our local estate and anything we may need to top up, is sourced from local farmers.
We genuinely believe that our business has grown strength to strength due to our commitment, honesty, attention to detail, customer service and most importantly supplying local produce with traceability.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Visited here on Sunday with family and had a two course lunch which is very good value for what you get. We had Lamb roast dinners and the lamb was melt in the mouth, perfect roast potatoes and loads of fresh veg. Followed by a superb Panna Cotta with homemade biscuits, other's had homemade crumble with proper custard !

Would definitely return when we visit family again, recommend ...

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Had lunch with group of family and friends. Everyone enjoyed the food. There was a good selection to choose from and good use of local and home grown produce. A lovely meal and good coffee to finish with too.