“Total peace and relaxation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingston Upon Hull
“Total peace and relaxation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We decided to do something different this Christmas and chose to go to Keldy. Having been before in the summer, we were hoping to have a peaceful and relaxing Christmas away from the craziness of the city. On arrival we were greeted with some mulled wine and mince pies, which were very welcomed. On our last visit we stayed in a gold cabin, but the silver one we had this time was just as nice and cozy. The cabin was clean, fully equipped and warm. We had a nice hamper with champagne, chocolates and other goodies waiting for us and also a Christmas tree waiting to be decorated. The children (11 and 7) loved going for a long walk in the morning to find things to decorate our tree with. It was so much fun making our own decorations using some of the natural resources provided plus some that we found on our walk. The rest of our stay was exactly what we had wished for, total peace and tranquility, long walks, family time and relaxing in the hot tub. The forest retreat is well supplied and we really enjoyed the nice hot chocolate when returning from our daily walks. The prices are very reasonable as well. On the morning of departure we found out that our car battery was completely flat. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, giving us their phone to call the AA and letting us wait in our cabin until the problem was sorted. Overall, a great experience and we are thinking of returning again next Christmas!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your Christmas break at Keldy. I am delighted that your decision to stay with us worked out well. Our Christmas breaks are very popular because it’s a great way to spend quality time together as a family, and truly relax. Walks in the forest, dips in the hot tub champagne and hot chocolate – it sounds like you’ve found the perfect recipe! I hope we’ll see you again next Christmas.

Holiday Advisors Team Leader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just got back from a fabulous break. Stayed in a Golden Oak lodge. Hot tub was fabulous, the lodge was very clean, nice robes provided. Our dog was made to feel welcome with a chew wrapped up for him on our arrival! Had lovely walks, the shop was great and we enjoyed burning logs in the fire. Had pizzas delivered from the on-site shop on Saturday night- they were great. Will definitely be returning. Nice, friendly staff. Enjoyable from start to finish.

Room Tip: The Golden Oak we stayed at was No 39. Not too far from shop and great views. Very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review following your recent break at Keldy. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Dogs are always welcome at Forest Holidays – it would be a waste of good forest not to welcome them! I’m pleased to hear you’ll be returning and we look forward to seeing you again.

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have just returned from an unforgettable few days
This must be the worst holiday we have ever taken!
On arrival at the site we were allocated cabin 58.
Although the cabin had just been cleaned, the place was
dirty, with the floors, and walls having either dirt or cobwebs on them.
The en-suite toilet looked as though somebody had just used it, and the broom
cupboard had rat droppings on the floor. The downstairs bathroom had a terrible smell.
The BBQ had rubbish left on it from the last time it was used.
After dark however, things got better.
We then had a visit from a rat, who spent most of the night chewing on the floorboards in the broom cupboard.
This obviously kept us awake most of the night!
The following morning, I complained at reception, and a member of staff
was sent to clean the areas again.
We were told that the rat droppings were not fresh, and that they would have to get a stronger cleaner to clean the toilets properly.
This just confirmed that the cabin hadn't been cleaned properly for quite sometime, and on arrival must point out that non of the areas smelt like any cleaning fluids had been used - even the toilets!
On the morning of our second day, two new pieces of timber were put down on the broom
cupboard floor to cover the holes made by the rat the previous night.
This didn't solve the problem, as on our second evening on site, the rat returned,
but now he had new pieces of timber to gnaw at. I did see the rodent in the middle of the night poking its nose through the hole that it had made.
This kept us awake for most of the second night!
On our third morning I had to complain again about the rat problem, and was offered a move to a different cabin (number 46). This we agreed to, even though it was an inconvenience
having to pack everything back up to move.
Although cabin 46 was better. The cleanliness of the rooms still left a lot to be desired, and the hot tub light didn't work.
A member of staff (male) accused me of using a glass to drink out of whilst sat in the hot tub. Although I assured him that it was made of plastic, he insisted on taking a closer look, and banged the vessel on the timber railing to make sure it was made of plastic!
Every night we heard scurrying/scratching noises.
The recycling bags left by the bin had holes torn in them.
We stuck out the holiday for six nights only because his was our only holiday for the year,and went for my wife's birthday, but decided on the Sunday to leave a day early after having six consecutive nights of hardly any sleep.
Whilst I was talking to a member of staff, he admitted that they had stopped selling bird seed due to the rat problem!
I complained to Forest Holidays head office, and after a week they offered me 20% off a future holiday booked with them. This is not what I call looking after a customer.
WON'T BE GOING BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Steve O
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. We cannot match the details of your complaint to our records. Please can you to contact us on customerservices@forestholidays.co.uk so that we can investigate further. I will call you personally as soon as I have your details.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Just returned from Keldy six hours ago and already want to go back. This was a treat for my husbands birthday, we went with two more couples in a silver birch 3 bed, and had a brilliant time, especially in the hot tub. All our needs were met and the weather was kind too. This site is just the right size, private but not too remote, with lots of walks and paths to explore. This is our first time with Forest Holidays and hopefully not our last, if the prices don't go through the roof?
The madness of christmas has been banished now we are relaxed and refreshed, bring it on!
If I were to add a little niggle, when going with couples, 3 doubles would be far better than drawing straws for the main bedroom and the others having to push single beds together.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review following your recent break with us at Keldy. I hope the birthday celebrations went well. I am delighted that you enjoyed your first Forest Holiday and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again before too long.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Enjoyed a very nice weekend at Keldy, very relaxing quiet venue over a mile from the main road.
The Walks were good did the Red, Blue and Pink walks between 11/2 miles and 3 miles through mainly wooded forest areas, one point on the first walk we went up hill, at the top of the hill we has access on our mobile phones, O2 and Orange networks as forget about any coverage in the main area or Lodges, a pay phone is located in the courtyard.
If you do not want to make your own meals, and a fully equipped kitchen is there then no restaurant on site, we visited the local Pub 3 miles The New Inn very nice friendly and busy.
However we did travel 6 miles to the newly refurb end Blacksmiths Arms in Hartoft.
Just fantastic great location and fab food but they do not start serving until 6 pm
Lovely meal just main course two bottles of wine, two beers £50,00 excellent and worth the drive.
Only small gripe, we had the Diamond Lodge so was disappointed that the TV was medium size, only had 5 main Chanel's no free view or Sky which one would think would be in the better lodge, I know some will wonder why I mention thus if your away to enjoy but it was dark from 5-00 raining and very cold. Also the wool burner has 3 logs, this lasted an hour, so we had to but a pack £7-99 in the shop. Final thing was again for a Diamond Lodge it would have been nice to have Internet access, yes I know you will think not but as a Business owner while I like a break from work I need access to check email and business server and IT cameras if alarm goes off.
Internee can be used but only in the shop area and only one device .
Staff very nice and helpful, shop expensive so bring all you need.
Still a very enjoyable weekend and enjoy the hot tub it's great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Keldy. I am delighted you enjoyed a pleasant holiday with plenty of walks and some nice pub meals too. We do offer an entertainment package ('Get Connected') which gives you access to the internet along with Sky TV and over 100 films to keep you entertained on those dark evenings. I apologise if this was not explained to you. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Reason for visit:

Fancied a weekend away, in a quiet location - Keldy seemed out of the way in the small village of Cropton. This visit was as a couple.

Service:

Upon arrival, there were clear signs to reception point. Once there, staff were extremely helpful and check-in took minutes, they also explained the catering options and other services available. Around an hour later, somebody came to check we had found the cabin okay, then left us to enjoy our stay. As with check-in, check-out took minutes, with no problems at all.

Venue:

The cabin was absolutely spotless. Including all cutlery, furniture, other equipment. The pictures on their site do not do the cabins any justice at all - infact this is the first time I've visited somewhere and the venue be improved over the pictures.

The cabin we chose was the copper beach as we did not require a hot tub (although would have been nice!) and although simple, I would describe it as 'luxury' with an excellent bathroom/bedroom and kitchen area. Note: pans are not provided if you wish to cook on the hobs. This cabin is perfect for a weekend, especially as a couple. In comparison, it calculated cheaper than the nearest hotel. The beds were small though, as reviewed on here, though I'm not so tall so wasn't an issue for me.

The surrounding area was equally as pleasing, although we didn't get the chance to complete any of the walks.

Activities/Where we went:

Cropton Brewery is worth a visit, offering tours around the microbrewery at 11:00 and 2:00 daily (please check as it is not clear on the brewery website). If you're not into brewing, it is still extremely interesting. It is around 5 mins away from the cabins, on quite a fun road if you're driving. The drinks there were spot on and well priced.

Pickering is also close by, around 12 mins driving. Pickering is the nearest place with shops and we made a daily commute there for food etc. Note: there's an amazing sweet shop near the exit to co-op...look out for it!

Whitby, a short trip away. Around 30 mins. The drive there is spot on and offers amazing views of North Yorkshire. I highly recommend a visit, especially this time of year in low season.

Final Points:

Nothing specific to add. The whole stay was perfect from start to finish with no issues. One bit of advice is to bring a torch though, the paths to the cabins are not lit! An amazing stay and will be re-booking soon. Thank you.

Room Tip: We chose a corner cabin, out of the way, not looking onto others.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent break at Keldy. I am delighted that you found the location and your cabin met with (and even exceeded) your expectations and also that you enjoyed some of the local area too. One note for your next visit – the pots and pans are in a drawer beneath the cooker!

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend break here. Couldn't fault the check in and out. The surroundings were beautiful in the forest and there are plenty of walks to go on of varying difficulty. Beware the 6 mile orange walk as the sign posts stop half way along and we ended up on 2 other paths and making it up as we went along. The kitchen equipment supplied was more than generous and the accommodation very clean. We were shown how to use the tub an hour after arrival and asked if we had any further questions. Make sure you take your own bath robes and towels!!! We did have a slight issue of the drain smell upstairs which we remedied upstairs by leaving the plug in all the time. The only qualm I have is the beds, we went as a couple in a 4 person cabin and had the two singles pushed together. The bottom of my partners bed was falling out and both were very uncomfortable. I can put up with this with a bit of tipple to help me settle however at just over 5'8 and lay down my feet were a good 4-5+ inches out of the bed!! I'd hate to think how anyone taller got on. Given this I would still return as i still enjoyed the break and the hot tub but maybe go to a different site.

1 Thank ZBH88
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break at Keldy although we will certainly investigate following your comments with regard to the upstairs bathroom and your husband’s bed. Happily you enjoyed the location and your hot tub and we look forward to seeing you again in the future at one of our other forests.

Holiday Advisors Team Leader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
The White Swan Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,443 reviews
Rocklands Lodges
Rocklands Lodges
#2 of 27 in Pickering

Been to Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire? Share your experiences!