“Very poor accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Very poor accommodation”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently stayed at Keldy Forest Cabins in a Silver Birch cabin. It was my first experience of Forest Holidays.

I had high expectations from all the marketing material. Sadly, I was massively let down. And not the only one, judging by the number of unhappy people complaining in reception when we arrived.

I am an experienced traveller and have reasonable expectations, not unreasonable. I was aware we were staying in a lodge in the middle of a natural forest and everything that goes with it.

The biggest issue I have is the standard of accommodation. A number of reviews here state that the cabins are tired. That is a massive understatement. They are completely worn out and very dirty.

The wooden flooring is very worn and dirty. Cushions were full of mud when you shook them. Lots of mould in the bathrooms together with a very unpleasant sewage smell in one.

Kitchen and utensils were almost unusable. Crockery had to be washed clean before we could use it.

The decking area was very mouldy and the wood almost black.

Walking through this place in bare foot was completely disgusting.

Lots of cobwebs and dust everywhere.

We also paid extra for robes and towels. The robes were almost thread bare and ripped. The towels were the thinnest I have every used and seemed incapable of soaking up water.

The beds were not comfortable, but the heat seems to gather in the top of the cabins making the main bedroom extremely warm, even with the window permanently open, and difficult to sleep in. My watch thermometer said 26 degrees at night.

Outside things aren't much better. The parking areas and paths to the cabins are extremely muddy when wet. Our car would not reverse out and needed help from our neighbours.

Marketing these places for the price being charged (between £350 and £700 for weekend coming up at present) is a complete rip off.

Our best time was out of the cabins in the forest. Faced with one last night in the cabin before an early drive home, we decided to leave a night early.

Sorry for such a negative review, but I feel massively disappointed and ripped off. Before the management respond to this review, like every other with the same points above, and say the cabins are undergoing a programme of improvements, I want to make the point that this has had no impact from what we saw and they have been saying it for months. Regardless of what is planned for the future, the above is how you will find these cabins today.

4 Thank W_Wanderer_W
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay at Keldy. I can see that things did not live up to your expectations and I am sorry you were disappointed. It clearly won’t help to say that we upgrading the cabins, but it is the truth and the programme has been speeded up in recent weeks. Your feedback is extremely important to us, we do listen, and we are striving to ensure that every guest who stays with us at Keldy comes away feeling refreshed and happy with their holiday.

Holiday Advisors' Team Leader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a lovely weekend away at Keldy Forest Cabins. Arrived on Friday afternoon and found the Forest Retreat (Reception) staff very welcoming and helpful. The road to the cabins were quite snowy and we did have a bit of trouble getting to our particular one. The cabin had recently undergone a total refurb and was very well equipped. New kitchen units, hob and oven. Newly carpeted upstairs and very warm and cosy. It started to snow as we were relaxing with a drink in the hot tub. We were snowed in by Saturday morning but as we had brought provisions with us it didn't worry us in the least. Enjoyed some great but tiring walks in the snow with beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies. The peace and quiet was amazing. even though the site was very busy you could, at times, imagine that there was no one else there.
Will definitely return for another visit, perhaps when the weather is warmer.

2 Thank MisterD25
Thank you for your review after staying with Forest Holidays at Keldy. I am pleased you found the forest peaceful and the team at Keldy friendly and that you caught the forest in the snow too; a very special time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the warmer weather.

Holiday Advisors' Team Leader
yorkshire
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We are by no means strangers to weekend and summer breaks in the Forest cabins throughout the various locations. We booked a long weekend away (3 nights) 25/26,27-1-13 at Keldy Forest. We arrived in the dark and with our map we followed signs to our one car allocated parking space.
How we didn't break our necks on the way to our cabin from the parking place was the initial irritation. There was no proper path to the cabin and I remembered the warning tones my daughter mumbled just 6 months earlier when her and her partner attended Keldy. Her partner had fallen on the way to the cabin on a muddy path and ruined a somewhat expensive item of clothing.
I must say I was somewhat disappointed with the state of the cabin. The towel rail in the downstairs shower room looked very unsafe, it appeared to have been patched together near the electrics with tape. The tap in the downstairs bathroom dripped constantly. It looked 'shoddy'. The kitchen looked 'tired' and the paintwork was stained. Cobwebs hung in the hanging lights, not a brilliant thought that a large spider might drop into ones meal at the table. The was insufficient cutlery for us and a teaspoon I pulled out of the draw was covered in dried egg yolk!
Although it was freezing outside it was absolutely red hot inside. The upstairs bedroom was so hot we had to sleep with the window wide open. The ceiling fan would not work. The carpet upstairs looked grubby, I'm pleased I took my slippers! Their was dog excrement on our balcony near the BBQ. The hot tub was great apart from the visible dog excrement. There was dog excrement strewn on the path we'd walked along on the previous evening too, pleased I didn't stand in that!
I don't like to complain, in fact We did not mention it to any of the staff but I have since read a number of reviews that have stated exactly the same thing we have observed this weekend and feel therefore that is is essential to point these things out in order for the next individual to have a more enjoyable experience. We won't be going back to Keldy, we are in fact looking at the log cabins elsewhere. We haven't been put off Forest holidays purely because all the other cabins and locations have been a fantastic experience. So, come on Keldy, clean up your act and give your cabins and site the overhaul it deserves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank kimmidoll1
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for writing a review regarding your stay at Keldy. I am naturally disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your previous Forest Holiday experiences. I sincerely apologise for the state of your cabin and will feed this back to the general manager at Keldy immediately. The Silver Birch and Golden Oak cabins are currently in the process of a refurbishment programme where many of the issues you have mentioned will be resolved.

I am pleased to hear that you would return to another Forest Holiday site. In the future we would love to welcome you back to Keldy and we will ensure you have a Forest Holidays experience to remember.

wales
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in Keldy Forest and it was amazing. The staff we met were so friendly and helpful. Unfortunately on the Saturday we were snowed in but the staff did a fantastic job in clearing the roads on site. Being snowed in did not spoil our weekend at all. We enjoyed a walk around the many lovely walks.
Our cabin was lovely. It was lovely and warm when we arrived on the Friday which was just what was needed after a long, cold journey. The kitchen was modern and fresh with a good variety of utensils. The whole cabin was spotlessly clean and we couldn't really pick fault with it. The ranger calls around not long after you arrive to make sure that everything is okay which we thought was a nice touch. The hot tub was ready to use on the Friday night and I have to say there was something nice about being in the hot tub while it was snowing!
We had a pizza on the Friday from the Forest Retreat as they give you a buy one get one half price voucher when you check in. The pizza and the garlic bread we had was very nice and definitely worth the money.
Everyone we walked past while on site was friendly and took the time to say hello. If you want a break away from it all then this is definitely the place! We can't wait to go back next year!

Room Tip: We had lodge 40 which had parking right outside the door and in a great location
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank koolstar
Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay at Keldy. I am very pleased to hear that you had a fantastic time and that being snowed in did not spoil your weekend. Thank you also for the positive feedback on the cabin and also the pizzas from the Forest Retreat. I will ensure this is fed back to the staff at Keldy.

We will look forward to welcoming you back next year either at Keldy or one of our other idyllic sites.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was the third time we have visited Keldy, but having read recent reviews, we were a little apprehensive, however - we had another fantastic stay, made more magical by the 7inches of snow that fell during our visit.

With further snow forecast, we arrived at the site nearly 2 hours early - we were greeted by a friendly member of staff, and within 15/20 minutes our cabin was available.

We stayed in a Silver Birch - No.48 - which had fantastic views of the forest - and no overlooking.

Yes - as mentioned in some reviews - 48 was ready for its face lift - but for self catering accommodation of nearly 9yrs old (site opened 2004) the standard was fine. (We have stayed at Center Parcs in lodges requiring far more attention that here at Keldy!!)

The hot tub was ready to go that afternoon (outside temps at freezing point!) - and we had the added luxury of a log burner in the cabin, which was nice to sit in front of in the evening following time in the hot tub.

The kitchen was well equipped, the bedrooms warm & tidy, and bathrooms/en-suites fine.

The shop / cafe was well stocked, and we purchased fire lighters & plasters both at lower than expected prices, we also had coffee in the cafe which was very nice and again at an acceptable price.

The team at Keldy were faced with massive amounts of snow to contend with, and must be praised for their hard work in clearing roads and access routes, and they all were friendly and happy, and waved at the kids as they drove by on the snow plough tractor - which made our 2yr old very happy!!

As we had learnt from previous visits, the site is fantastically located in the middle of an established forest - ideal for walking & exploring...even with young children - bring your wellingtons, and be prepared for no mobile signal...fantastic for avoiding calls from work!!

Looking forward to returning for visit number 4, and seeing the standard of the refrubs!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for your third stay at Keldy. I am delighted to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your magical break in the snow.

I will ensure the team at Keldy read your review and thank you for showing your appreciation for their hard work in clearing the snow.

We will look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth stay at Keldy. Please check out our website for the latest availability and offers.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Well just back from a three night stay in Cabin 12, it was just perfect !! the snow was wonderful the staff assisted far beyond their call of duty and the site was brilliant, I spoke with many of the staff. Chris, Leanne, Steve to name a few and all engaged in conversation, assisted with ideas and walks while continuely being called upon to assist customers ...( many whom needed to realize they had booked a place in a forest !! ) I don't understand the neg comments here ...maybe they need to smile a bit them selves and simply chill !!
thank you for a wonderful weekend ... and ohhh the hot tub :)

Room Tip: all depend what you want as all have different positives
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Keldy. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic time in the snow and made the most of your stay. I will ensure your review is seen by the staff at Keldy. We do hope you come back and see us again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed 21st - 25 th Jan. Having stayed a few a years ago we were expecting more of the same. When we arrived cabin was ready and we were over an hour early. However when we got to cabin things were a bit disapointing, dog poo all over decking area, it looked like it had been covered with snow deliberately ( surely if I had noticed this the cleaners should). Cabin not as clean as last time, cobwebs on lights/ dust under and on sofas. The biggest dissapointment was the hot tub not being hot enough until 2pm the following day. I understand the weather had an effect on this but surely you pay your money for the amenities to be available straight away. The answer I got from reception when quering this was " it may be ready tonight/ tomorrow morning or later tomorrow. On a positive note we took our dog with us and I would strongly recommend Keldy Forest Cabins for a holiday with your four legged friend. The walks at this time of year are brilliant in the snow and its so quiet and the hot tub ( after finally being ready!!!) is a perfect way to end the day. I also think the staff have done a wonderful job of clearing the road to the site. One more suggestion, when people are checking out of cabins it might be a good/ professional idea not to just take the key but maybe say " have you enjoyed your stay?" or " thankyou, have a safe journey home". Think we will try another site next time.

2 Thank BAZTOON
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Keldy. I am sorry that your stay did not live up to expectations compared to your previous stay. I will feed back your disappointments to the general manager at Keldy. I do apologise that the decking area was not clean on your arrival and that the hot tub took longer than usual to heat up; which as you say may have been due to the cold weather conditions.

I hope that you come back to Forest Holidays and try one of our other idyllic sites. Please look on our website for the latest offers and availability.

Holiday Advisors Team Leader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
The White Swan Inn
#27 of 28 in Scarborough
Rocklands Lodges
Rocklands Lodges
#2 of 27 in Pickering

Been to Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire? Share your experiences!