“Mother's Day Stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saundersfoot
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Mother's Day Stay”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I've just returned from a two night stay in St Brides with my mum, we booked the Mother's Day package a couple of months ago which included dinner, 90 mins in the spa, breakfast, and an orchid in the room on arrival.

We adored our stay from start to finish and can not fault it. As we'd booked early we were upgraded to a "Better room with sea view" which was stunning. I love the fact that each room has a bath, rather than simply a shower. We slept well and could not hear noise from other rooms.

We thoroughly enjoyed our 90 minute use of the spa, the details of which are on the website, but which include a sauna, two steam rooms, small warm outdoor pool overlooking Saundersfoot, and a 'relaxation room' for a herbal tea and magazine with once again, amazing views. I appreciated that there are specific time slots as it meant that the area was never over crowded, making it special and relaxed. 90 minutes was about right. We didn't have any treatments.

Food was lovely. Window seats are given on a first-come-first-served basis and are probably worth booking an earlier dinner. We especially liked the fish dishes, and puddings! The homemade bread was often still warm and delicious with the real butter, yum yum. Breakfast offers a selection of: fruit salad, dried fruit and nuts, cereals, yoghurts, pastries, toast, pancakes, fish, eggs, and a cooked breakfast. Equally as tasty as dinner time.

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. They actually seemed to care about your stay. There was the opportunity to replenish tea and coffee (and toffee waffles!) in your room in the evening if needed.

It is only a two minute walk to Saundersfoot village, and is on the Pembrokeshire coastal path. We walked along it East to Amroth on our first day and West to Tenby on our second.

One thing - a pre-authorisation of the amount of your stay plus £50 per person is taken from your debit/credit card on check-in. If you don't spend anything during your stay the pre-authorisation is cancelled and you pay 'again', if you spend more than £50 per person you pay the difference.I didn't feel as though this was explained well and felt a bit mistrusted, but it wasn't a problem.

Overall, a truly luxurious stay. At full price I won't be running back immediately but I may start saving!

Room Tip: 104 - "Better room with sea view", had a balcony, not a lot of floor space with twin beds...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
South Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights on the 21st & 22nd March 2014. We were pleasantly surprised with the friendly service we received on arrival, although no porter to assist with luggage. The lady showed us to our room and had a lovely smile. We found most of the staff very friendly and polite but not so with the foreign workers; i'd guess it was down partly with their culture. One of the reception girls (foreign) came across unfriendly. I am not being discriminant and have no issues with foreign workers, i'd rather they adapted to our culture (banter and smile).

The room was one of their best and had a homely feel. I loved the large TVs and having one in the lounge and one in the bedroom (but there was one slight problem with this - see below) . Great clarity on sound and picture and very pleased they have stayed away from using the awful hotel menu system you find at other hotels (which makes the picture look awful). The views were very good from the room and even better from the restaurant. I felt the sofa was not that comfortable (seemed rather cheap) and could have done with more pillows. The ratio of the room size to the TV size in the lounge was not thought out properly as the TV is far too large for that size of room (ie viewing experience would have been better with a 32"). The bathroom and shower was great and we loved the products they supply. Very clean room and it was cleaned the next morning also with new towels. Thumbs up (but be thoughtful of our damaging planet and water wastage).

My partner booked a spa treatment for both of us the next day. We were told to go down for 10am which we did. However they did not explain that my treatment was an hour later and I was left bored stairing at cream/light grey walls for an hour like I was in an asylum. While others may find the relaxation space, eh, relaxing, I found it boring (theres only so many picture books I can look at). No one bothered to tell me my treatment was at 11am so I felt like a lost Lemmon sitting around for ages.
I was not a happy chappy! The massage was good, however they did not ask for how firm you want it. The spa place is lovely and relaxing when you ain't sitting around getting paranoid when your treatment is and thinking your forgotten about. I liked how clean it was and the great views but I never got an opportunity to lay on the loungers as there are only 4-5 (all were taken up constantly and the chairs never had enough pillows to get comfy) The pool was freezing and I felt like I was stepping into an ice cube (and I'm from Scotland but even that was unbearable). Unfortunately the heat bars were not working. I still enjoyed my experience and although I was annoyed at a couple of things I looked at the positives to enjoy the experience. Staff were friendly enough in the spa and I smelt like a female princess in a male body.

The restaurant food was mostly excellent and we really enjoyed the experience. Relaxed smart casual atmosphere. The fish dish was beautifully cooked and very fresh. My partner wasn't too keen on the sprinkled truffle on the chips however. The breakfast was not that great and needs some improvements but I personally enjoyed it enough (not overwhelmed though). Beans are reduced salt which I don't mind but my partner disliked them. I appreciated them cooking breakfast at 6.55am for us on a Sunday so compliments.

I nearly forgot, the bed was really comfortable and one of the most comfortable (but not quite) we have slept in.

There were several lovely touches from staff which made me give this place 5 stars:

- We were given free chocolates on both nights after our mains and my partner had happy birthday spelt out on the plate in chocolate. A lovely gesture.

- We completed a feedback card after our first meal in the restaurant and mentioned that they put brandy and coke in a standard glass and not a Brandy glass. To our surprise the manager emailed me the next day explaining how this came about. I was pleased with the in-depth email and how personal and polite it was.

- When we first arrived a postcard had happy birthday on it which was in the room. Another lovely touch.

- Even better was after our first meal at the restaurant we headed back to the room to pleasantly see on the bed a small rock sweat and a little card with the quote on it saying something along the lines "Don't grow up too quick when your beside the sea..."

- I can only guess that the spa people heard me winge about the pool being freezing they came up to our room a few hours later with an apology bag of goodies. This was a lovely thought.

Some suggestions:

- Buy more comfortable sofas and extra pillows.

- Train all staff to smile and be polite and show some human banter.

- Put in appropriate sized TVs for the room (great quality though).

- Ask how firm your guests would like their massage. A simple card asking this and mapping out on the body where you would like massaged most with X's.

- Heat the pool up. My toy soldier and sacks got a battering in that pool.

- Don't put truffle on the chips as some people don't like it.

- Improve on the quality of the cooked breakfast (although I personally enjoyed it, this is more my partner winging).

- Ensure the brandy and coke comes served in a proper brandy glass, or at least ask the customer. I was however impressed with the staffs knowledge of Gin choices and was brilliantly served with lime or cucumber with Hendricks (top marks).

- Make the lounge area in the rooms more comfortable. Beanbags, lots of pillows etc.

Overall it was a really good experience and I never let the negatives spoil my stay as the small touches made me smile. It is pricy and a little too much as staff at Fairmont Hotel in St Andrews, Scotland have a much higher standard of customer service at a similar price. I have to say though, those little touched were the best we have received and outstripped the Fairmont for going the extra mile. Thank you for a pleasant enjoyable stay. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stunning views from this excellant hotel,the food was excellant and the staff were very nice.although some of the staff need to smile a bit.although the hotel has a very good infinity pool you are charged a lot of money to use it ,and then you only get 90 mins.there is nothing for children to do. And I don't think they are allowed in the pool.

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms first,we had three rooms,two were excellant and one was very small and pokey
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Thank you all for making out stay so special . I would recommend anytime. The room was so comfortable and beautiful, great shower and real milk in the fridge. You will find lots of attention to detail through out the hotel. The views are amazing from nearly every window. A must for a real break.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Fantastic! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

wales
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed in the apartment block as we were 10 girls on hen party, what an absolute fab place, infinity pool amazing, apartment blocks were gorgeous and really suitable for the purpose. We had booked to have a meal in the restaurant on the Friday night but we were so relaxed after our visit to the spa that we decided to have room service, absolutely first class, 4 waiters all came in with trays of beautiful presented food, couldn't have been better. Breakfast was really lovely no complaints at all.

Amazing time had by all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay in our apartments and have passed your kind comments on to the team.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights - biggest waste of money. The staff were average and a mixed bunch with no sophistication. The rooms were TINY! No room to hardly store a winter coat. The "spa" is considered an additional extra and an allocated time is booked to allow you to use it once over your stay. They charged us a pound for some extra milk to fill a baby's bottle.
We would never stay again. Feel cheated and ripped off.

Stayed December 2013
7 Thank B S
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for staying with us in December 2013. Unfortunately we have no record of your complaint and without any further detail from you (your name, the date of your stay etc) it is impossible for me to investigate these comments further which is incredibly frustrating for everyone involved.

Kind Regards
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just arrived back from this hotel from a birthday treat weekend for my husband. Beautiful hotel with fabulous views, all the food was superb, from breakfast to afternoon tea to dinner. The staff are all a real credit to the hotel very friendly and professional. Massive bed really comfortable. It was just the one thing that made me rate the hotel as very good and not excellent and that was the issue with timings and the bookable 90 minute slot of the spa. We booked the break a few weeks ago but only two time slots were available for the spa on arrival day, 2.30 or 6.30 - as we could only have dinner at 7.30 the 6.30 was impossible. As we didn't arrive until 2.30 that slot was also impossible as we really needed to eat first. There was no option to use the spa at a different time. Crazy really that the paying guest has no options available to them, it's so regimental. Our Saturday slot was at 12:30 which was fine but we did have to spend the morning mooching around waiting for our time, and then when we arrived at the spa we were told the water had been changed in the pool so it was rather chilly because it hadn't had time to warm up. As that was our time slot though it was our tough luck really and we had no option to come back at a later time.
We would have booked the hotel again for our 30th wedding anniversary later in the year as it was such a good hotel but we were really put off by the having to pre book time slots for dinner and spa, we would much prefer to take things as they come and as the mood takes us. Such a shame but it's not for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 117, very comfortable big bed, and with plenty of character.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us recently.

I am disappointed that you found us a little 'regimental'. Our guests come to St Brides to unwind and completely relax - it certainly is never our intention to inconvenience anybody. As the use of the Thermal Suite and Hydro Pool is complimentary to all our resident guests, it is vital we manage the bookings effectively to prevent overcrowding. We try to limit the number of guests using the facilities to a maximum of ten at any one time to help maintain the serenity and ambience in our spa. This means we advise all our guests at the time of booking to reserve their complimentary sessions to ensure they do not miss out.

We did experience a maintenance issue with one of the boilers in the spa during your stay which meant the Hydro Pool was a few degrees lower than it usually is. Unfortunately, this was completely out of our control and we did all we could to raise the temperature as quickly as possible. I am sorry that this affected your enjoyment of the facility.

Our Cliff Restaurant is also extremely popular with tables in the evenings and weekends being reserved weeks in advance. We advise all resident guests to reserve their preferred dining time slot when making their room booking to avoid disappointment. I am sorry if this would deter you from returning to us, but I hope you can appreciate our position.

Thank you again for your detailed feedback, we do hope you change your mind and visit again in the future.

Andrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saundersfoot
The Gower Hotel and Orangery Restaurant
The Woodlands Hotel
The Woodlands Hotel
#2 of 5 in Saundersfoot
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to St Brides Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!