“The most unpleasant dining experience of my life”
Review of The Bertie

The Bertie
Ranked #28 of 105 Restaurants in Pontypridd
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A good, well kept and friendly local pub servng very good and inexpensive food: Steak and chips for £6. Close to the Rhondda Heritage Museum and local footpaths for exploring the industrial heritage.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

There’s a very distinctive smell in this place, and I’m not quite sure what it is, but it’s indescribably bad. The quality of food is appalling and almost inedible. I’d like to know where they source their “beef” from, because I’ve never tasted anything like it before. But the worst thing about this place is the “service”. The staff make you feel uncomfortable by their rude manner. My advice is to stay well clear!

7  Thank Ricky637
There are newer reviews for The Bertie

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We ate here a few months back, but the service and food was so bad it stuck in my mind! When we arrived the pub was empty apart from a few old men sitting and staring at us uncomfortably from the bar. When ordering our food at the bar both my mother and I asked if we could have mashed potato instead of chips, the woman serving us didn't look happy and the old men sitting at the bar were laughing and even asked us inappropriately if we were Irish! In the end the barmaid agreed that we could have mash instead of the chips. After we sat down we could hear the old men and barmaid laughing and joking at us and they kept looking over and staring. The landlady brought our food but there were chips instead of mash on the plates!! When we told her that we had asked for mash not chips she looked really annoyed and snatched the plate from us and shouted at the old men at the bar "If they don't like it they can go somewhere else!" To be honest I was really upset by her behaviour and it was the last thing I expected when eating out. When she brought the food back with the mash she looked at me and insincerely apologised and then turned to the old men and the barmaid and said "That's the way I am if they don't bloody like it they can go somewhere else!" I was actually in shock at the attitude of these small minded people and I will never go back and have told many people to never go there!

6  Thank RachelJ878
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Looking run-down in parts grumpy service from bar staff and faces pulled when asked for a clean glass as it was dirty. food was OK for £3.99 but out of popular items on the menu. no paper towels in toilets a air hand dryer and large old hand towel on unit some suspect old stains on walls of the toilets apart from that clean not stayed in the B+B part of the pub.

3  Thank babywolf
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Brilliant! What did you like about it?food was good presented well still hot and a good choice on the menu staff were very helpfull

2  Thank Brenda F
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed here several times over the last few years, Unbeatable value! Admittedly, It's not posh, but it's very genuine and is obviously & justifiably popular with the locals.

4  Thank MartinC-TCC