“Great Valentines Stay!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Pontypridd
Aberdare
“Great Valentines Stay!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After reading previous reviews of this hotel I was a bit worried after I had booked this hotel but after our stay I would defiantly stay again!

I booked the room as a valentines day treat for me and my boyfriend, we were booked to have food in Alfreds but the restaurant looked really nice, next time I would eat there.

When the lift didn't work and we had to walk up the dark staircase which was a little daunting I did think the room was going to be a bit of a let down,we stayed on the second floor in room 2 and the room was beautiful, french antique style, clean, amazing bathroom nicest one I've ever seen in a hotel, spacious, all marble and newly fitted by the looks of it. The bed was a king sized and very comfy, flat screen tv, dressing table and wardrobes were all following the french antique theme very classy. Extra pillows available on request.

Although noisy in the early house due to guests above and road works in the morning couldn't really complain as this isn't really the hotels fault. The car park was a minutes walk away very convenient. On checkout I couldn't remember if I have booked breakfast so the girl on the desk gave it to us anyway. Breakfast was £7 each and this included a continental and cooked breakfast. Tea and coffee and orange juice refills were all included in the price very good value for money.

The hotel was very lovely and the restaurant was just as nice, clean very good service and couldn't complain about the food either, forgot I was in Pontypridd! The staff were all very helpful and polite, would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor room 2 which was spacious and luxurious!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Really disappointed on visiting this place again, I took a friend from France telling them how great this place was but came away feeling very foolish, the service wax terrible the bar was disgusting and all the style and glamour have gone the place needs to get back to its original concept and the staff need to learn to speak English properly.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank bubbletravelers
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed in a double room which i thought was expensive for what it was but wanted to spoil myself for my short stay, the lift was not working for the week i was there which meant a lot of stairs to climb, the bathroom which was in need of a thorough clean and my bedding was not changed in the week i was there also the house cleaning never hoovered or cleaned my bath after i used it so a lot to be desired. Felt for the staff as most of the time there was only 1 girl working downstairs doing the bar the reception and the food for the restaurant but were very polite and helpful. Will not be staying here again for the price could find something better.

Room Tip: make sure lift working as with any room you will need it :(
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank andrew a
Holyhead
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having stayed here several times over the last few years, my wife and I were somewhat sorry to see a fall in standards which used to be so excellent.
Firstly the still very good points. The staff, without exception were very friendly and welcoming. They were all very young. The rooms were very clean except for things which I will mention later. The beds were very comfortable. At weekends, breakfast is served until 10.30. The hotel is in a very good location for shopping and about half a mile from the railway station.
Now for some unfortunate points, which can be overcome if concerned by the Company. There were stains on the once beautiful bedroom carpets which could easily be cleaned and in our room there was blood under the lavatory rim. When this was pointed out, the manager immediately transferred us to a suite.
There were other little niggling things like chipped crockery, frayed towels, no soap in the dispenser and while we were ther the fridges were removed from all the rooms. Could this be so that guests would be compelled to buy all their drinks from the bar!!
At breakfast, some ingredients on the menu were unavailable and boiled eggs served in a cardboard egg container as no egg cups available.
The food for lunch and dinner was now pub grub when Italian dishes used to be served. I stress that excellent dinners are still served at Alfred's. which belongs to the Blueberry just a couple of doors away.

Room Tip: There are nine rooms, some in the French style, others all white.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
south wales
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Went here for lunch & was very disappointed. The table we sat at had been cleared but not wiped off. We ordered from the bar meals & drinks the same time. tHe waitress came to give us or cutlery & I asked for a cloth to wipe the table, this never arrived & I had to use my serviette. Our meals didn't arrive together, my husband ordered chunky chips with his burger but they arrived with skinny fries. My club ciabatta was cold & I ordered a cup of minestrone soup to go with, this was very nice but couldn't be drank from the cup & I had to ask for a spoon as one wasn't provided when the cutlery was given out. The drinks we ordered didn't arrive & we had to enquire after them. The did eventually arrive but our meal was nearly over. So all in all poor food my husband said he'd had better burgers from a van & very poor service despite not being that busy. We will not be going back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank madmal31
Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you wish to wash your hands then good luck the taps are broke and the pub toilets have not been cleaned. It's disgusting it's the first and hopefully last place in my life I would need to be paid to revisit.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank RossWales
Burry Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I needed a week-end stay in Pontypridd and didn't expect to find somewhere as comfortable and relaxing as the Blueberry. Yes, it was the week-end so I was informed of the noise from the club and assured that it would finish at 1. Yes, to sleep through the noise would have been impossible. But, as it was a festive week-end, I ended up having a great night in luxurious surroundings with some friendly staff and fantastic company. The music promptly finished at 1. The room was very, very comfortable, stylish and clean. The breakfast was great. Staff were very welcoming - and the architectural features and design of the bar created a wonderful stay that was totally unexpected and very memorable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontypridd
Llechwen Hall Hotel
Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
#1 of 3 in Merthyr Tydfil

Been to Blueberry Inn? Share your experiences!