“Nice Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pontypridd
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice Sunday lunch”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Following a really nice wedding on the 6th April, we decided to go for the Sunday lunch. Excellent value for money in a great location. Food was very good and very well presented. Service was first class, it was a pleasure to relax in the comfortable lounge afterwards with some drinks.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a wonderful location. The staff are absolutely brilliant and friendly they could not have been more helpful. The food is tasty, fresh and local. The breakfast choices were great and freshly cooked. I'll be coming back in April and I'll be bringing a colleague!!

Room Tip: If wi-fi is important, find a room with good connectivity, it doesn't apply to all.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LanceCJones
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The grand facade of the building and the mouthwatering images of the dishes on offer on the website, belie the poor quality of the food my partner and I were serve when we dined there. My Rabbit Ragout really could have been any mashed up meat or fish, it was so tasteless, and my partner's Sautéed Cod, Crab Beignets & Celeriac very could well have been yesterday's warmed up greasy nuggets from a fast food outlet. I was particularly disappointed as it was a her birthday dinner. There was also a distinct lack of ambiance, but this wouldn't have mattered if the food had been good. As it was I would have preferred a good bacon buttie and cup of tea from a decent café and would have paid a fifth of the price for it. Maybe we went on a bad night but I won't be giving them the benefit of the doubt again. A shame as it's such a great location. The service was ok but there was lots of noise coming from the kitchen. Not my idea of a romantic evening.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joey58191267
Bargoed, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had lunch at the Hall today. It was delicious, very well presented by excellent staff. Also great options for the vegetarian in our party who ate every scrap! Very elegant and comfortable surroundings. Very good value for such great service. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I chose this hotel off the net and am very glad I did. It was a late booking and the value was exceptional.

Lovely, quiet location - although, having read other reviews, I did check by phone that there wasn't a wedding or similar on this particular Saturday night.

The room itself (a twin on the first floor) was large and well-appointed, with an unusually well-fitted bathroom (even a bidet). Sadly it was the last twin available and, as I'd recently (6 weeks previously) had a bionic knee, access was a pain since there is no lift and even had I known I would have been too late to ask for a ground floor room. Had I accepted offers of help with our cases, I would have had to hand them over to a young woman and I'm too quaint to be happy about that. So if you're elderly or not very spry - take note.

The staff (all women that we saw, with the exception of one, floating male manager) were delightful, thoughtful, charming and helpful.

The only negatives were comparatively minor and, really, a bit naive for a three star hotel.

On arrival on Saturday afternoon, we decided to have tea in the lounge but were told that we couldn't have anything to eat with our cuppa, as pastries, toasted tea-cakes etc. had to be pre-ordered - because of the baking (!). I asked (twice) if there were any Welsh cakes in the kitchen and was told by both members of staff that they 'would ask'. Neither returned to tell me the outcome. So, just the cuppa.

In the room, the wardrobe contained a spare, folding bed which left no room for clothes. I wouldn't have minded putting it somewhere in the room but there wasn't really space. When I reported this at the reception desk I was asked whether I would like someone to move it (!). I later saw two women members of staff having to struggle with it on the landing (again, no men about to hump and carry).

As in another review, the room was icy during the night - with no means of warming it up. My wife had to wear socks and a polo shirt in addition to her night wear.

The only other negatives were at breakfast, when the waitress had to go and ask whether porridge was available (surprising - but it was and it was good). The kippers would have been fine but were terribly cooked (and served at the same time as my porridge - as I say, naive).

The cooked meats and cheese included on the menu in the continental breakfast were simply not there.

These minor, adverse comments are intended to be helpful. I should certainly go back to the hotel and would cheerfully recommend it to friends. All in all, it made a very positive contribution to an enjoyable weekend in the area.

Room Tip: If you aren't very agile, ask for a ground floor room (there's no lift). Also ask about pot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric H
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Was slightly concerned when we booked and I called back as my confirmation hadn't come through and the lady said she would send it again .. still didn't get it so called back and lady told me they don't send them ? I was one of 6 staying and everyone else had one?? but from then on after arriving everything was lovely ! Room 19 is gorgeous and probably bigger than my flat! we had lunch in the bar (they had run out of a few bits) but it was gorgeous food the sandwiches were lovely. My friends dad was poorly during our stay and the staff all asked how he was and were very helpful. Breakfast was superb and tasted fairly healthy for a cooked breakfast. I would recommend staying here I am just upset it is a 4 hours drive from here or I would book for wedding !!

Room Tip: room 19 is a must and worth the extra pennies :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked last minute. Had no idea what to expect. Stunning location. Quaint hotel. Well decorated. We eat in the restaurant. Food was lovely. All staff friendly and polite. The room was clean. The only thing that could have been improved was the decor in the bedroom. Would stay again

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontypridd
New House Country Hotel
Premier Inn Llantrisant Hotel
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
Travelodge Merthyr Tydfil
#1 of 3 in Merthyr Tydfil

Been to Llechwen Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!