“Food Issue”

The Willy Wallace
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Food Issue”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here while on a work placement for two weeks with a classmate. Our first week was fine, nice rooms, the mattress on my bed was really bad, i had to put my towels underneath mattress protectors although this did not help my back!

Our second week we swapped rooms. We were told 2 different instructions by 2 different staff members, one including the "manager". As we were leaving for work early morning, we left our luggage in our room as one of the staff members said that he'd transfer it over when cleaning the room. The manager had said to bring it downstairs but when we went to do so in the morning, it wasn't locked so did not want our stuff to be in the open.

When we returned, one bag of our food had gone missing. We reported this several times, asking the staff to get the manager to get in contact as we now had barely any food for the week. It took 2 days for the manager to get in contact. It took until our last day to actually see him in person to talk. Before talking to him, our food turned up in the kitchen, fresh from being pulled out of THE BINS. All the food was ruined.

When we saw the manager, his attitude was terrible. As the food were in bags, we were made to feel it was our fault it got thrown out as it looked like rubbish, even though we had it with our other luggage, NOT by the bin. He was very sarcastic, very rude, did not offer any form of apology for throwing out £30 worth of food and basically said it was our fault it got thrown out even though it was in our LOCKED room. His attitude was disgusting and really upset us and ruined our last night at the hostel.

Tip to travellers, if you want your food to be safe, make sure you dont keep it in a plastic bag as they will throw it out if they think it "looks like rubbish" without even checking to see.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank weez456

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2011

--Cleanest place i've ever stayed. beds were more comfortable than the overpriced hotel i stayed in in Edinburgh. great central location and you can get anywhere you like (in Stirling or otherwise), easily. But the people were the best part. As an independent traveler and having stayed in dozens of hostels, I know there is always the risk of staying in a hostel where it's quiet all the time and no one knows anyone and does anything together. -- I met a handful of great people, both staying there and working there, that improved my experience in Stirling. I would've loved to have stayed there longer because they were great friends to have.

See you soon, guys!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Many thanks to the Willy Wallace Hostel, I checked in for one night and ended up staying 3. Great place and great staff. As a solo traveller its sometimes hard to meet people but the atmosphere at this hostel was so good we were all invited out with the staff for drinks and seeing the local night life.

Room Tip: All rooms look out onto the main street so ther is no getting away from noise when the pubs fall out
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Newick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed for two weeks at Willy Wallace and my bed clothes were not changed once. During my stay in one of their dorms I observed the fact that the mattress protectors on all the beds were never changed, thus offering a perfect opportunity for bedbugs to thrive! And to my horror that is exactly what they did! I FOUND BEDBUGS (Cimicidae) IN MY BED! Very disgusting! The staff were all young 'gap year/' type people who were only interested in banter with some of the more extrovert guests. I even received rude comments from a member of staff on two occasions about my lack of conversation with them. As I was completing a fortnight of work experience/internship type work I was very tired at the end of each day and as a single young female traveller did not wish to indulge in endless banter with the staff. The female/family shower only produced a dribble so there were 20+ people using one shower for the whole two weeks I was there. One of the toilets was also broken so there were only 2 toilets for the 20+ people aswell.

The hostel itself is nicely decorated and has a nice community feel to it, however it seems that the staff are too busy "cultivating" that feel to focus on the basic upkeep requirements of such a hostel! Not very impressive! Needs improvement!

Room Tip: I would say avoid the female room, but reading another review it seems that there are bedbugs in oth...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
hlramsay, Owner at The Willy Wallace, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
The Willy Wallace apologies for your disappointing experience. Please contact the hostel as we would like to offer you a refund. At the WW we have a contract with a specialist company who do quarterly checks for bedbugs and come out to eliminate any outbreaks that are reported by guests. I am happy to report that all the rooms are now clear. Mattress protectors are normally changed weekly, but in August they may be changed fortnightly. Curiously I understand that bedbugs do not live in bedding, but in the cracks of the beds themselves. You were also unlucky that our plumber was waiting for a spare part during your stay. I can also see that a hostel full of holiday makers may have made a difficult atmosphere while you were working hard and I am sorry if a member of staff was insensitive about this. We always try to do our best for all our guests and it is regrettable when standards slip.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Colorful hostel in front of bus stop, easy find from train station. Great location. Drying area is available in stairwell if you've been camping. Staff was extremely helpful with directions and how to find things. Has good front door security, which was a good thing with street people trying to get in at night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Well, my partner and i stayed here just recently and booked the double room to get away and a break from all the dorm rooms we had been staying in................
What a terrible mistake this turned out to be.
After checking in we went up to the room and were pleased to see that it came with a TV.
Unfortunately for us, the room also came with BEDBUGS.
Yes..... my partner and I awoke the next day to about a million bites all over our body.
Incredibly itchy and uncomfortable we went to check out and inform the owners/workers of the problem and hopefully get our money back. We made a huge effort to be discreet and calm about this so as not to frighten the other guests only to be told that there would be no refund and to make sure we washed all our clothes ASAP. Not what you would expect for £44 a night!

Just don't make the same mistake we did, there are better places to stay in Stirling.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Please contact the hostel as we would like to refund you, if you have not already been refunded.
Herts
Reviewed August 3, 2011

It's fairly basic, but has all you need. A friendly place, that is perfect if you are arriving by train. Clean and the beds are made up for you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo