“Yawn”

Stirling Youth Hostel
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Absolutely zip special about this SYHA. It's basic fare, does the job. Yawns of complete non descript-ness. Such a hard one to rate because there is just so little that stands out about this hostel any which way. It's not great, it's not bad, it's just a hostel. You will get a decent room, there are decent facilities, the staff are OK, if not a little reserved and less than anxious to greet you and make you welcome. Just a bit of a tad boring hostel. Pretty much like the rest of the city really.
It doesn't happen in Stirling. My friend and I stayed here for a night on our way through to the south and after walking the street to find a decent pub - the best of which was an Aussie pub believe it or not - we were eventually scared back to the hostel by two vampyres lurking in an Irish pub down town - long story. I only wish there was a 2.5 star rating because that's what this hostel is. I was generous and rounded up.
But the hostel is as described - basic fare.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JudeDudes

Reviewed November 19, 2010

The first hostel i booked in Stirling! Although at first, the service was okay, the prices were very high, the location was 10 minutes from the centre approximately, the hostel was noisy, and in case you are late(if you arrive after 2a.m) you are not able to get in (even if the staff has assured you that they stay up until 2a.m) and won't be able to get a refund(not even a partial). Definetely not recommended to anyone! If you are about to book a hostel in Stirling Willy Wallace should be your first choice!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btnox
Reviewed October 22, 2010

the hotel is next to a graveyard and a jail, the rooms are tiny and the sheets are not properly cleaned, the beds are not comfortable and have very thin matresses, the shower is just a curtain and there is no door, the door handle for the entrance of our room fell off and the food wasn't very good.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank yirmam
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I arrived mid-morning as I drove straight here from Edinburgh airport where I had just flown in from Australia. Hostel was very easy to find, no problem at all with parking in the carpark.

Although too early to check in I was able to change into fresh clothes in the communal toilets and freshen up a little.

I stayed in a twin room. My room had no covering over the sky light which was a tad annoying but I brought an eye mask with me so I just used that. The shower in the room wasn't great, low pressure and water everywhere as the flimsy curtain didn't do much. Could have done with a good scrub too. Unlike another poster below, I did have an electrical socket in my room and so was able to charge up my phone and use my hair dryer.

The hostel was very very quiet when I was there, I saw a few people when I had dinner and breakfast but otherwise there weren't many people around.

I'm a big fan of SHYAs and this one didn't disappoint. Did lack character though but I think all city hostels do.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank BrawBlether
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed with three of us in a 4 bed room of our own, this was still very cheap. The hostel room was pretty basic, but it was clean and quiet at night. The shower is basically in the room with you separated only by a shower curtain, don't forget your towel.

The location is excellent and you can park in the hostel car park and just walk up to the castle and churches, or down to a range of restaurants.

The ghost tour that leaves about 8:30pm outside the hostel was a good laugh as well.

We had a great stay and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2007

This hostel was a pain to find- don't use directions off the internet, you'll never find it! When we eventually did, there was no parking so we had to park down the hill on the road- not ideal. When we arrived the man on the desk was pretty rude- he demanded an extra £5 for us to have a private room but didn't say why. He didn't let us park outside the hostel but let another guest do it for some reason... The room was for 4- comfy bunk beds, clean sheets/duvets etc but rubbish shower (shower curtain let water into the room!) and tiny toilet meant you could hear/smell whatever people were doing in there! No disabled access either, and when queried, was told 'they can stay on the ground floor', which wasn't particularly wheelchair friendly either!
Glad I only stayed one night as was too small a room for 4 people- would have gone mad otherwise!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank tyrannosaurus
Reviewed January 15, 2007

This youth hostel was clean and very friendly to stay in. Clean bed sheets were provided as well as a pillow and there was a relax room with a television and interenet access. It was close to the centre of Stirling and was in walking distance. The only downside was that there was no electricity socked in the room to dry you hair or charge your phone. This was possible however if you were willing to go to the communal room.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank lilmizlisa