“Ruined the biggest day of our life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Colessio

Hotel Colessio
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Stirling
“Ruined the biggest day of our life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Words can not express the disappointment, of telling your bride to be your wedding is cancelled - further more telling your parents and mother in law to be!!!

The owner of the Colessio made no efforts to apologies, and offer no gesture of a way to compensate financially or emotionally. When you look at the finances of their sister hotels you will understand why.

From start to finish their sales manager reassured me everything was fine, we meet at least 5 further times - but clearly they have no heart!

I've managed to find an alternative but with only 12 weeks to my day we have had to fond accommodation for 20 guest and now paying an additional £5k, so now going in to married life with debt. We had to find a new band and photographer!!!

PLEASE DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL AND TELL ANYONE YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010
37 Thank Lombard13
AuroraHC, Marketing & PR consultant at Hotel Colessio, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Steven McLeod, Chief Executive of the Aurora Hotel Collection, has asked me to get in touch with you. While it is several years since you posted your comments regarding the cancellation of your wedding at Hotel Colessio, he has never forgotten the massive disappointment and upset this caused you and truly regrets that you were let down, particularly for such a special occasion. Unfortunately the delays to the opening were beyond his control, but this cannot excuse the failings in how you were dealt with. As you may be aware, the hotel has now opened its doors and he would very much like to welcome you as his guest on a complimentary basis. While he appreciates that this is little compensation for your earlier experience, Steven hopes that you will accept his invitation and enjoy a stay at the hotel with his compliments. If you could email me at elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com with your contact details, I will get back to you as a priority. I look forward to hearing from you and, again, my sincere apologies. Kind regards, Elizabeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were supposed to be married at the Hotel Colessio this year and to my dismay were told 4 months before our wedding and only with a lot of phones call to the sales manager that it would not go ahead!!! I would strongly advise anyone considering having their wedding reception at this hotel to please make sure that you can actually get in to see the hotel and its progess.... even then i would wait until they have actually opened their doors to the public! There was no end to the stress and anxiety that this so called 'Reputable Company' added to what was supposed to be the best day of my life so please take note and do not put yourself through what myself and my fiance went through and not to mention the financial strain it has now put us under trying to find a suitable venue that is to our liking!

To make matters worse these people did not even try to console us with any nice gestures or even apologise correctly for the undue stress and sleepless nights they have given us for the past year!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
31 Thank stressedbride26
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Our wedding was booked for 16th October 2010,we were scheduled to be the first couple to get married at the so-called 5 star boutique hotel. The company provided us with many assurances that the hotel would be open on time. We met with the wedding co-ordinator 10 weeks prior to our wedding and finalized everything from menus to room availability. During this meeting we were also given further reassurance that the hotel would definitely be open in time for our wedding, albeit it was behind schedule.
Thereafter, 7 weeks before our wedding, we received a phone call to say the venue would not be ready. We then spent the next few days frantically trying to find another venue, which thankfully, we did.
Overall the company treated us in an appalling manner, we have never received any formal apology or form of compensation for the added stress and cost of re-arranging suppliers. Another interesting point is that following our horrendous experience with the company I posted the facts on the Scottish Wedding Directory website, in order to make other couples aware, my post however was subsequently deleted.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank PenelopePitstop3
Steven McLeod, Chief Executive of the Aurora Hotel Collection, has asked me to get in touch with you. While it is several years since you posted your comments regarding the cancellation of your wedding at Hotel Colessio, he has never forgotten the massive disappointment and upset this caused you and truly regrets that you were let down, particularly for such a special occasion. Unfortunately the delays to the opening were beyond his control, but this cannot excuse the failings in how you were dealt with. I noted your comments about your post being deleted from the Scottish Wedding Directory website, however I can assure you that we had nothing to do with this and can only assume that the team at SWD removed your comments.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Having visited the Airth Castle Hotel from the same group, I was recommended to visit the site for the planned Hotel Colessio to consider as an option for my upcoming wedding. We met with more than one Sales Manager who confirmed the hotel would be completed and open by Christmas 2010, and advised us to take advantage of discounted rates by booking ahead. We took the gamble - and spent the next 5 months worrying and trying to make contact with someone who would explain why the hotel had not opened and, furthermore, the works had not even started - there are still no windows in this building today!
We attended various wedding fayres and were told stories of couples in the same position, who have lost money by placing their trust with this hotel group.
Eventually we made contact with the hotel, who advised the works had been delayed and that our wedding would need to be cancelled. Although extremely upset, the sales person advised a new date should be set just 2 months later as would definitely be completed by then. With the nearby church etc already booked, we thought this would be the most reasonable option. We were wrong.
Following the cancellation of our second date, we began to research the company and were dismayed to find the business listed as "in liquidation". On speaking with the company to try to get an explanation, we were told "our Chief Executive has advised that if you don't stop asking questions, your booking will be cancelled". Appalling.
Eventually, the worst was confirmed. Our wedding was to be cancelled - for the third time- one person advising due to cashflow issues, the other due to issues with the construction company.
Our experience with the Hotel Colessio has been stressful and upsetting, and has not only affected us but our friends and family who had reserved rooms to stay on the night of the wedding and were with us throughout this nightmare.
Thankfully we have now booked a wedding with an established, reputable hotel group. Although we are at a loss financially, we have at least now got a very special day ahead of us.

* I am aware of this group still actively taking bookings for Weddings, although they do not know when this hotel will be open and as yet the works appear to be stalled. Please fully research our experience, and the experiences of tens of other couples before considering this as a venue for your special day.
(the venue was fully booked from May-October 2011 - so lots of disgruntled customers).

Room Tip: Do not book
  • Stayed May 2011
13 Thank spotlightdancestudio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

Hotel cancelled booking due to cash flow problems. Service was a disgrace and have never had such poor service.

• Stayed September 2010