“Charming hotel”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Stirling
Germany
“Charming hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

People who like to experience a little bit of real Scottish life will love this hotel. It´s situated in the city center of Stirling, a very historical and old building. The rooms are not renovated, which I myself like a lot, it´s typical regional style. The restaurant in the hotel is really recommendable, breakfast is delicious with lots of different food. The best thing about it is the bar on the ground floor where you can have a nice drink and enjoy other people´s company. Great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed here overnight from frid 27th , to avoid early start as very handy for event , I found staff reasonable nice and friendly , room average lift is a shocker rather slow and worse because busy . I enjoyed my evening meal here as presentation was nice indeed credit to chefs, service quite good breakfast I agree with others a little on cool side I would blame equipment here, food itself very nice indeed, I would say that hotel car park entrance/exit is a nightmare barrier controlled and relies on reception to operate, unfortunately the hotel rear entrance is a little shabby as most guest will probably use this option as quicker so good paint up would help , I thought it was quite costly for one night considering I was taking part in parade as disabled veteran, So in context with other around its cheaper and probably reflects this because of location and prices, I did leave a quite good review when I first stayed, but surprised non management content reply , not good guys seems customers are revenue only.
I will give this another try 19th Aug -23rd Aug 2014 as tried direct booking with hotel and offered a little discount but when asked for better offer was told these were the lowest although they were exactly the same prices as Booking.com a bit naughty of reception since a guest was told they could have saved by doing so.
A very unsatisfactory situation is that even in middle of boking in guest are simply left while solo receptionist answers telephone a no no there I,m afraid, as I have worked for some considerable time in the tourist industry myself and now retired I do a lot of surveys , reviews and product testing as well as some mystery shopping , and although really try here some basics are lacking , quite honestly I give my open honest opinion regardless whether negative or positive , staff are very friendly but the whole picture must fully be seen , I know only too well how the public can be so I never forget this and staff should also remember they are customers themselves everywhere else they go, When I find reliable and good providers I tend to stick with them so I am giving them a second chance as was my first time in Stirling and local people were very friendly and welcome in general for this event .
I am looking forward to this opportunity to show my interest in being loyal so hopefully be more interaction this time , as as a guest other guests communicate with each other , of course everyone cannot be pleased all the time , I feel this Hotel has indeed greater and far better potential than is currently utilising , and all very well doing ones job but doing it properly extends itself to the hospitality and certainly more important its reputation, it can be a thankless job however that is the business they are in it would be normal for me to leave a tip for quality and good service , as I have stayed in some exclusive hotels , but I would possibly recommend to connections because they are trying .
Will update after my longer stay.

Room Tip: A front room , although I was on third floor an part restricted view at least there was one, my room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

How true! Even though the Golden Lion looked promising the restaurant was not at all a positive experience. We did not even look at any rooms that they might have available. Back to the restaurant experience...started with us being unfriendly told to sit near the serving area even though we wanted to sit near the window... apparently because we were a couple! The food: one of us ordered steak..supposedly Scottish - maybe suitable for shoes but not very good for an evening meal. The other ordered haddock, which was really OK, but served with soggy, over-cooked chips which were exchanged for some quite good and crispy chips. When we spoke to the manager, his explanation was that sometimes the steaks were tender and tasty and sometimes not...they were not responsible because their suppliers delivered them pre-packed! As far as the soggy chips were concerned, the same manager explained that it was because they were 'hand cut' - the crispy ones were frozen! Figure that one out! As a recompense we were offered a mini portion of fruit salad and a luke warm espresso. That was our not very golden experience of the Golden Lion in Sterling.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Brynjos

Travelers are raving about these Stirling hotels

Hamburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This hotel is centrally located and has its own parking lot, which we did not expect in the city centre. We walked in for a booking and got a map to find the hidden entrance to the parking. This was really the best part abour it. The room did not have a window which could be opened. The toilet flush did not work unless you got an instruction from helpful staff. The bathroom dated from the 60ies, I would say. The elevator was so slow that we climbed the steps to the 3rd floor most times. It was definately not worth GBP 99 for a night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing place to stay, the hotel is beautiful, the staff are all really friendly,24hr bar, excellent buffet breakfast, would highly recommend this hotel, excellent place to stay right in the heart of Stirling, we had a great night

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

The Golden Lion has a premium location in the old town of Stirling and things seem pretty good at first but are let down by a litany of small disappointments:

- There is no bath.
- The sink didn't drain properly.
- The toilet was missing the short flush button.
- The soap holder in the shower was broken and dirty.
- The kettle's lid kept falling out.
- Beds were uncomfortable.
- Coffee mugs were dirty
- It takes ages to be let out of the rear parking area.
- No real ales

On the plus side, the food and food service are both very good and there is some obvious effort and passion being put into the place.

Nevertheless, I cant reconcile the numerous shortcomings with the price-tag and we couldn't help but feel the hotel is counting on its location to make up for the state of the rooms.

Use with caution.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bf109
Katoomba, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Undoubtedly, the hotel is very conveniently situated for the town centre and the railway station.

After that it is downhill fast. We booked two rooms both priced the same, but ours was half the size of the other. It was hot and stuffy even though the outside temparature was mild and the heating was off. So we had to open the window to get fresh air into the room. Big mistake - our room was above the extractor fan from the kitchen, which started up at 5.45am when the chef arrived. It sounded like a 747 engine revving up!!

Thankfully, we were given another room the following day; otherwise we would have walked out, even if it had meant waving goodbye to the full payment we had to make on arrival.

The other room was a similar size to the second room our party had booked and much quieter.

However, the beds were awful. As the bed in 105 was also bad, we can only conclude that it is hotel policy to underinvest in beds.

The breakfast policy was bizarre. If you told the staff that the otange juice had run out, they put about 3 cups full into the container, so it ran out again 5 minutes later. Clearly, there was a rationing policy going on. The haggis was invariably cool.

When I book a hotel, this is what I am looking for:

1. comfortable bed
2. quiet room

Neither was available in room 105 (which frankly is unfit for purpose) and only requirement 2 was available in the room we moved to.

Are these requirements unique or unreasonable?

Room Tip: If they offer you room 105 walk away
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian S
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, unfortunately the Kitchen extractor fan can he noticeable at this time of year when windows are left open during the night .

We have looked at the bedding in this room and have ordered replacements.
We are conscious in reviewing our bed stock annually and have a rolling program of maintenance which is ongoing throughout the year to ensure we meet the expectations of out Guests
Thank you for bringing this to our attention
Regards