“Unexpectedly good stay”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Reviewed January 21, 2013

It is 2 years since I have written a TripAdvisor review. Last night I needed accommodation at short notice in Stirling as a consequence of vehicle problems. I was wary about a city centre hotel as they can vary so much, but I was reassured at the garage. It is located in the centre of Stirling, close to the Castle and other historical buildings. The area appears slightly run-down. The hotel is more than 2 centuries old and had good period features. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was good. The room was clean. It was good value. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel has some very good points:

1. Free parking in the centre of the town
2. Polite, friendly and efficient staff
3. Traditional and nice surroundings and good state of decorative repair generally, albeit a bit "lost in time".
4. Reasonably cheap.
5. Massive rooms with lounge area.
6. Big plasma telly.

A few bad points include:

1. Poor soundproofing from the corridor/other rooms - part of this is due to the age of the building.

2. Poor state (broken) of tiles in bathroom, missing or dirty grouting, bad/missing sealant and finishing. This is unfortunate because the bath, shower, tiles, basin and toilet are all of high quality and fairly new.

However, there is one thing that makes me feel this is a poor hotel: When travelling on business, it is particularly important to sleep well. After plane journeys, gruelling days, and more gruelling days to come, you need to rest well. Unfortunately, I experienced the worst mattress I have ever slept on. Not only was this mattress VERY old, it was VERY knackered. The bed was lumpy and I could feel the springs. I seriously contemplated sleeping on the floor. To offer some perspective on how bad this mattress was, I can only compare it to the (now) second worst mattress I have ever slept on. This was in the Grand Hotel Kinshasa, in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This was another place "frozen in time" where it appeared nothing had been changed for about 30 years. That mattress was bad, very bad. However, I was distracted at the time because I was more concerned about being kidnapped or murdered in the most violent city in Africa. However, despite the threat of the Congolese militia, I actually slept better in that hotel than I did at the Golden Lion.

This review just about escapes being "terrible" because of the good things about the hotel. But bad and old mattresses are inexcusable.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I booked an overnight break, dinner, bed and breakfast. The hotel is very nice, as it is just after Christmas it was very quiet, but we couldn't find fault with the hotel. Our room was very small but clean and warm. Our meal was disappointing. as we were apparently the only 2 booked in for D B and B there was no table d'hotel menu. We ordered from the a la carte. i opted for goats cheese as a starter but alas there was no goats cheese. I then picked prawns with apple, I got a very nice prawn cocktail- no apple! Breakfast was average. We have had better D B and B's but the Golden Lion was OK. the huge advantage for this hotel is it's location,in the center next to the shops.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had a fantastic party nite in Golden lion. The food was excellent, next to none, havnt tasted
a more tender and tasty steak. as usual lots of wine on table. Staff were very helpfull and polite.
The 2 guys singing was brill. Best night in 2012/2013.
cant wait till next year. Room was clean and tidy. breakfast even waited for me till i got up
in morning. :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann K
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the Golden Lion Hotel for two nights the Hogmanay ball was excellent very well organised the staff where very helpful and efficient the food was great the rooms where small but very comfortable and warm the entertainment was very good. Good value for money will definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have been there several times. First was for an event that was in a lovely room. The hotel is old but has modernised carpets and decor but still kept the charm. Buffet was excellent and entertainment was fantastic. The stairs are old style and very grand. The general atmosphere is grand but homely.

The second time was to visit my parents when they stayed in September 2012. After 11pm the barmen went home to leave a rather greasy looking night porter to serve the bar. We had been there for a couple of hours chatting in the corner and nothing had been said to us about the bar being changed to a residents only bar, not giving us the chance to order our last drink. We asked him kindly could we have a last drink (at around 11.45) because we were not told and would have to wait for a taxi anyway. He obliged but when he started pouring a pint (which we had not actually wanted but were not given the opportunity to change our order to something less) he changed pumps midway and I asked what he was pouring, as it looked like he had went to a different beer. Through gritted teeth he stated in a negative tone what our order had been and glared at us in a way that made us wonder if he was actually going to throw the pint over us.

Such a beautiful hotel and everything was perfect up until that point. Generally the staff are very helpful and friendly but unfortunately this one night porter let the place down on this occasion. I think it would not have been quite so bad had his friend not been propping the bar up all night and was still being served when we left!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a family meal for four this Christmas, the service and ambience was lovely but the chef needs some food lessons as the food was undercooked and vegetables were showing signs of being passed thier best by date, what a dissapointment. Avoid.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family