“lovely castle, characters a let down”
Review of Stirling Castle

Stirling Castle
Ranked #6 of 71 things to do in Stirling
More attraction details
Owner description: Dominating the skyline for miles around, Stirling Castle is a shining example of Renaissance architecture. Visitors can look out from its high stone walls to the battlefields of Stirling Bridge where great medieval armies clashed to decide the fate of nations. Home to generations of Scottish monarchs including, Mary Queen of Scots, the Castle is an enduring and powerful reminder of our fascinating history.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lovely castle, Our second choice after Edinburgh castle. had a car to make our own way there. Think it was a 50 min drive from Princes St (?)
The costumed characters really didn't say much at all as we went through. Not sure whether you have to engage them first. People were just asking them to be in their photos and that was about it. Almost same price as E. C. to get in.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,976)
All reviews
"scottish history"
in 307 reviews
"mary queen of scots"
in 95 reviews
"argyll and sutherland highlanders"
in 70 reviews
"lots of history"
"stunning views"
in 112 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The castle has been beautifully restored and is definitely worth spending half a day. Don't miss out on the self-guided audio tour... we did somehow and regretted it. There are descriptive signs, but not like at some places, so I fear we missed out on some interesting tidbits, but it was a great visit nonetheless!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

It rained like mad when I visited in June 2013 severely limiting my ability to appreciate and photograph the exterior. The guided tour is very good and makes you wish you could have seen the castle in it's glory days. Costumed re-eanactors help explain life in the 1400s. Weather and pigeons have not been kind to the building. Don't miss the wood sculptures gallery.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent a whole day at Stirling Castle. It was really brilliant. I hadn't been for some years and was delighted to see that, without exception, the staff were knowledgeable and friendly, keen for us to enjoy our visit, and genuinely enthusiastic about the history of the castle. I also heard Spanish and French being spoken by a member of staff which was great since our tourist attractions all too often assume everybody speaks English.
I loved the tapestries and especially being able to see one being made. If you read 'The Lady and the Unicorn' by Tracey Chevalier you will appreciate it even more.
I was recently in the castle in Kracow and it was fascinating to see the similarities between the two castles. Following European fashion is obviously not a new thing! I would recommend this trip to anyone who has any interest at all in Scottish or European history.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

myself and three and a half yr old son had enjoyed our afternoon at castle. we stayed for the kids talk but as the tour went round we were advisec to head for the well. children being children, my son slipped my hand and ran off to the well with the other kids. the speaker told us that there is a sixty metre drop and another 7metres of water. now if there is just a small metal griddle over this well then if it is true and it is this deep then surely its a bit complacent to assume the griddle will stand up to the elements. i certainly wouldnt feel so bad thinking what if?