“Best Italian in area”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This low key family run Italian cafe is a hidden gem and a locals favorite. It is by far and away the best Italian food in area. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly service and great value for money. If your looking for a break from over priced stuffy restaurants this is the place to go.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We have been eating here for years, food is always good and piping hot. Portion sizes good, side salads always fresh. Choice of wine excellent and I my opinion not over priced for the quality.

We have eaten here with family and as a couple and are always warmly welcomed and the service good. Pricing good for the quality and consistency of the food. Please remember that it is a cafe and can be a bit noisy when busy which given it's popularity is often, saying that we love it as is full of life! Nothing worse than a quiet Italian
eatery in our opinion!

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Have been in the cafe and chip shop part from time to time over the years and my two main observations are
1- The food, especially the ice cream is of a reasonably good standard, if a touch pricey, three bowls of ice cream and three soft drinks for my children wasn't far off £15, a bit steep id say for a cafe although the ice cream is lovely, the waiting staff and service is good too.
2- The chip shop is very good in the standard of food, not so in the portion size and the 'service' from the grumpy old git with the glasses, on more than one occassion I have payed £2 for a very mean portion of chips and when on one occassion I pointed this out to him he snarled back at me that was the standard amount of chips they serve, i estimated there were barely 20 chips in my portion on that visit and although nice in taste that is a blatant rip off, he frankly looked at me with a very surly angry look, and, not for the first time there generally barked at people in the queue who, at the end of the were there to give him business. Decent food, shame about the portions, prices and attitude. Purely because of him I am unlikely to visit again.

1  Thank freddiebhoy
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We come from Stirling so perhaps we are a bit biased, however, this is one of the best cafe/restaurants in the area. Their Italian dishes, especially their pasta is delicious. My 9 year old son described the ravioli as 'a party in his mouth' (he watches Masterchef!). The relaxed atmosphere encourages many different patrons, from frazzled mums and loud kids to very mucky cyclists who have cycled 25 miles for their impromptu visit. Try their breakfast options, they're a must!!

1  Thank Claire T
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Carla and I stopped here for our tea on our way home one Saturday evening. We had not booked, but they squeezed us in before a booking they had.

We both had starters and main courses, but could not manage a dessert. The food is delicious home made and typically Italian. Just what we had been told about. The staff are very friendly and very efficient. The restaurant has a very good atmosphere. There were families there with children. There's a jukebox in the corner. Also a great selection of ice creams at the front to take away.

I would definitely go back again, but make a reservation next time and make room for some of their delicious looking deserts.

I would recommend you try this restaurant if you have not tried it already.