“Clean and comfy.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Horley
United kingdom
“Clean and comfy.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here for 1night in november and found the hotel ok.spotless bed linen nice big fluffy towels.we had a full English breakfast,which was very hot,with cereal toast tea or coffee and juice.nicely presented but please do not ask for extra toast .the waiter was not impressed.lol.transfer over to airport was good,with a very pleasant driver.on return called hotel waited max 10 minutes.would use again.

Room Tip: If you have problems with mobility you will need a ground floor room,as there are no lifts.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for writing such a positive review I am pleased you had a pleasant stay with us. We value our guest and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible. We are at present training new staff for reception to speed up service, keeping our quality and friendliness. With regard to breakfasts, there are several improvements we are intending implement and toast is on the agenda!!. Maybe a toasting machine for guests to use to at will. If you are travelling again from Gatwick, we look forward to a familiar face.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed with my parents and daughter for one night before a day trip to Lapland. We picked it so that we could leave our stuff in the car after the night, to avoid having any hold luggage. It was easy to find, though the directions are pretty poor, the hotel was average, however we arrived at about 9 pm, and it took 30 mins to get checked in, and there seemed total chaos with keys, as a person there at the same time was waiting ages for them to find his keys. I had phoned in advance, having booked on a separate website to check our car would bot be moved and we could keep the key (we were gone from the hotel less than 24 hours. I arrived and they initially insisted that I had to give them the keys, I pointed out I had discussed it with someone on the phone, so they decide to try and charge me a day parking rate, even though my booking clearly had parking included. I then planned to take a taxi with my family to the airport, and was advised this was not sensible and I should use their minibus at a cost of 4gbp per person. They were fairly insistent that was the best plan so we did in the end. That was fine. We had 2 rooms, both on the second floor, both with marked headheight issues in the room due to sloping ceilings. There were several notices around about what you could be fined for, including hot food in the rooms, your own food in the rooms and alcohol in the rooms. The last was the most ridiculous, as they advertise as having a bar, however my father was moved from the bar to reception because they had a xmas party in, he could not use the facilities but nor could he go anywhere comfortable.
The room was very basic, the bed very uncomfortable with a lack of pillows. We were directly above the party with a glass window over the hotel lobby, so the disco was loud and made sleep very difficult. Also the room temperature started very hot but then got cold. I would not stay there again!

Room Tip: don't stay on top floor if possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Amanda C
Dear AmandaC, Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review, we do value our guests and their opinions endeavouring to improve on our standards and service where possible. May I take this opportunity to apologise for the confusion in reception. It is one of the Hotels' policies to allow the Guests choice to take the keys with them or not. We should not have charged you any rate for one night stay over which I believe you were not. However, all staff in future will be aware of our procedures, which are being clearly marked out and I will make sure guests are not made to justify their bookings. With regards the taxi, local companies will charge well over £10 each way. Our service is £4 outward and free return. Which works out about £2.00 per person, for both ways. A taxi for both ways to the airport is around £24. We have finished refurbishing the public areas of the hotel and are looking to update the rooms, however the head restrictions in second floor rooms will be something difficult to rearrange. I have spoken to the owner about the notices, the wording is very ambiguous. It refers to smoking and people who bring in fast food and leave the rooms difficult to clean and clear afterwards. It does not refer to any food or drink from in house. Snacks and drinks available from the bar/restaurant can be taken to the rooms and to this end, with the parities in both the function room and bar that evening, it would been appropriate for any guest to have a beverage taken to their room. We would be happy to accommodate a guest if requests are made to reception at the time. I have today advised housekeeping to make available spare pillows in every room. From time to time we do have events and it is unavoidable that the noise travels to the room. He have now restricted our times to 12 pm (instead of 1 am) for music and bar service.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We have used Cambridge 3 times now, before and after our trip to the Gambia. Always happy. This last time - mid Nov and return beginning Dec 2013, there seems to have been a change in management and a face lift. Excellent service - specially when we got back after flight at 1 in the morning very tired. Clean, well decorated rooms. Could do with new mattresses though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DiM14
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello Dim14, Thank you for a very positive review, we do value our guests and their opinions and endeavour to improve on our service and standards where possible. We have refurbished our public areas and have already started on the rooms, which most have now been treated to new mattresses. There are a few to go. If you travel from Gatwick again we look forward to seeing you.
Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel I guess is aimed very much at the traveller who is staying just for one night either prior to or just after a flight into Gatwick.
My room was fine - probably one of the refurbished rooms. The bed was comfy. The bathroom amenities very good. It's a shame that the refurb did not extend to updating the room security though. You get a door key which opens the room from the outside, but there is no way to lock it from the inside - not even a security chain.

For this hotel to gain a greater score, all the owners have to do is step up the service levels.

Example 1.
When I booked the room, I expected my card to have secured the booking only. No, the whole room rate was debited. Not good.
Example 2.
The receptionists need to understand that a request for a taxi might not be for Gatwick. They need to listen.
Example 3.
Breakfast was a bit...... well strange really. There was a choice of 2 fruit juices, and just three cereals, plus tea and coffee - all of which was by self service. I was then asked whether I'd like brown or white toasted bread, which arrived in a basket. There was no other choices. No fruit. No muesli, No porridge, No menu!! But then bizarrely, just as I was finishing my toast, the waiter brings me a full English cooked breakfast. This was lovely, and very hot. How odd though to assume that that is what I wanted? I wasn't asked..... I might have been a vegetarian. Quite strange really.

So, for one night. It's fine. But with a few changes, it could be a really good hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hello Saxonman, Thank you for your very comprehensive review. We value our customers and their opinions, to improve on the standards and service we offer.
With regard to room security, there is no need for a lock on the inside. Once inside the room the door will not open without a key. It is a secure one way system.
When booking we normally only take a £20 deposit from the card. Unless it is taken from an internet booking agency.
If a taxi is needed, then certainly we only need to know details of name, time and destination and if return is required. It is an oversight on our part. And indeed listening is a big part of the role.
Breakfast is normally discussed when booking in at reception, if there is a specific need, so it can be catered for. We are reviewing our continental breakfast option. Our waiters should ask if brown or white toast is required. They should also ask if a guest is ready for the full english breakfast. I agree we should also review what options could be available and a breakfast card showing what is served. I hope we are able to give an even better service in future.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here, and found no problems whatsoever. The Kemal Restaurant served a very good meal, with friendly staff and a good choice for vegetarians. The shuttle to the airport was fast and when we returned around midnight the service was equally good. Our room was clean, perhaps in need of a little makeover but ideal for a stopover. For those guests who are less mobile we would suggest a room near to Reception as we could not find a lift.

Room Tip: We could not find a lift, so for those less mobile choose a room near to Reception. We were on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Dylan65 - It is good to see you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the food. I must say that now we have finished renovating the public areas, we are now looking to update our rooms. Because our hotel is listed, we are unable to install lifts, however there is always a member of staff on hand to help with luggage.
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Hi we stayed at this hotel we were a little unsure as there were a few unhappy reports. We left the room at 4.30 pm returned at 6pm to find our room was entered not broken in but with key, we had my wife's purse stolen, iPhone, laptop and a pair of beats head phones. We complains they said you must have miss laid them there no CCTV I tried to speak to manager he still not got back to me after 2weeks. Police took a report my advise don't trust this hotel!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Bob19721, I believe your inquiry to the Hotel was answered directly to you. It would be unprofessional to make any comments at this time. Except to say that our staff are highly professional and trustworthy.
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just returned from a short break and stayed at the Cambridge the night before our flight from Gatwick. Staff are all very friendly and helpful, this was our 4th stay here and we have never had any problems with rooms, food or transfers. We will be staying again in January and treat our stay at the Cambridge as the first day of our holiday.

Room Tip: If you have any impairments with stairs, ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Newsportscooby, Love the pooch. Thank you for taking the time for writing such a glowing review. Top Marks is a welcome result. We do try to accommodate our guests at all times, and look forward to those familiar faces in January. Burrrr!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Premier Inn Redhill Reigate Hotel

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!