“Good value for money”

Ranked #6 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This was my second one-night stay here, having stayed here last year; each time I booked a single ensuite room and was given a free upgrade on arrival to a spacious ensuite double. This time I was given a lovely, spacious & clean double room with d.g. bay window at the front of the house, with newly fitted ensuite. The shower was excellent, although the basin is miniscule, hard to clean one's teeth without hitting one's head on the glass shelf above! The bed was comfortable, but unfortunately the walls aren't very soundproof, as I was driven mad & kept awake most of the night by someone snoring loudly in the room next door. The only mirror in the room was a smallish one on the dressing table, could do with a larger (preferably full length) one. One niggle: the nearest power point to the dressing table is several feet away in the corner of the room, no good for blow-drying hair as hairdryer lead doesn't reach, an extension lead would be useful here! There was a radiator in the room which didn't work even when the controls were fully turned up ( I stayed in April, still a bit chilly at night).

I had to leave about 4am for an early flight, so it was a DIY breakfast job, although too early to want much to eat, a "breakfast to go" pack would've been nice - the only food item suitable to take with me would have been a cereal bar, but someone had obviously had the same idea & beat me to it on the morning of departure, having completely emptied the full basket I saw the night before!!! There is no kettle in the dining room for early risers to make a hot drink with their breakfast, I had to go back upstairs to make coffee in my room; a toaster in the dining room would be also be great for something hot to eat for DIY breakfasts.

The transfers to and from Gatwick were very good, Sue picked me up from Gatwick within 20 mins & booked an excellent local taxi firm for the early departure next morning, which arrived promptly.

Altogether my stay was good value for money, especially considering the free upgrades, & I would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the house are less affected by traffic noise all night from the busy road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SaraW350

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel is great for the night before a flight and parking. It is literally 5 mins from the airport, and they provide a free lift service if your flight is at a sociable hour. Also, if your flight is in the early hours they have a deal with a local taxi firm so that you don't get robbed for a 5 minute journey (£5 each way). The rooms are very nice, clean and peaceful, and have flat screen tvs and a good shower. The only negative feedback would be that the bathroom is extremely cramped (I'm 6'3" and it was almost impossible to wash my face in the sink) and the mattress on the bed wasn't pocket sprung (not a problem for most, but I'm a funny sleeper). I would definitely use this hotel again in the future as it is incredibly convenient whilst being very pleasant and good value. Also, Sue, the owner, is very friendly and welcoming!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Tommy102
springwoodGatwick, Owner at Springwood Guest House Gatwick, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write your kind review.

As you say some of our en-suite shower rooms are small. Unfortunately, with a house which is over a 100 years old, the en-suites have been carved out of existing space over the years. So we don't have the option of making them larger. What we have been doing is having them gutted and refurbished to make the most of the space we do have.

The up side is that we have themed Springwood with many original Art Deco and Arts and Crafts pieces which suit the period features in the house and makes for a more interesting experience for guests.

I hope we see you again next time you are flying from Gatwick.
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Everything from booking to parking to airport and back could not have been easier .

We paid £50 for 10 days parking with pick up and drop off to gatwick.

Excellent directions , easy to find and will use this guest house for parking at Gatwick from now on

Mike and Beth Jones

From south Wales

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike J
springwoodGatwick, Owner at Springwood Guest House Gatwick, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Many thanks Mike for your kind review.

Also for the info' on Zante. I'm plotting a girls only escape!

I hope we see you next time you are flying from Gatwick.
london
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Again using Sue and Lee's excellent facilities to park while we were in Turkey. Its always a relaxing start and end to the holiday and Sue and Lee are so helpful with general advice. A 5 minute drive to the terminal in the hotel minibus and we have a seamless ride to our plane-no having to find parking spaces, no waiting for the bus or having to lug cases and its cheaper tha anywhere else. We know that there is always someone looking after our car for the whole 7 days too. I asked my friends to have a look round the rooms too and they were so impressed by the cleanliness and style-a great place to stay before flying. We'll be back!

Room Tip: busy in summer need to book early
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lizzylloyd60
Derby
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Springwood Guest House is located in Horley and is a 5 minute drive to either terminal at Gatwick airport. As a single traveller I stayed one night here in March 2012 and took advantage of a weeks parking whilst I went skiing. In total, including parking, the room, breakfast and transfers to and from the airport, I paid £82, which I consider excellent value for money. I will definitely be staying at Springwood the next time I fly from Gatwick.

The guesthouse itself is set in a quiet road, surround by other similar establishments. It is certainly not (as one report here comments) on the flight path, or indeed anywhere near it. The common areas of the guesthouse are tastefully decorated and furnished in an art deco style.

Upon arriving at seven o’clock on a Saturday evening I was given a warm welcome by the proprietor Lee and shown to room 5, a double room (which I had booked) with en-suite WC and shower, situated on the first floor at the back of the house. The room was nicely furnished and extremely clean. It being winter the heating in the room was on; if anything it was perhaps a little too warm!

A nice feature was that the room had tea and coffee making facilities. The free wi-fi could be picked up in the room and given the size of the guesthouse I imagine that would be true for most of the other rooms. The bed was extremely comfortable and I enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

The following morning the shower was hot, as were the porridge and coffee that were made especially for me by the helpful staff. The rest of the breakfast was the usual continental fare.

I had requested a transfer to the South Terminal at 9.00AM and we duly set off on time, with Sue dropping me, skis and luggage right outside the terminal.

On returning a week later, as instructed, I only telephoned the guesthouse after reaching the pick-up point. Within 5 minutes the people carrier had arrived and we were loading it up. On arriving back at the guesthouse my car was waiting by the front door.

Springwood is warm, clean and nicely furnished and the proprietors are extremely helpful and accommodating. I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone needing to stay near the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Martyn C
springwoodGatwick, Owner at Springwood Guest House Gatwick, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank-you Martyn for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review.

All our rooms have thermostats on the radiators so I hope you adjusted yours to an ambient temperature for you. As you suggest the wi-fi is available throughout the house and is free.

We pride ourselves on prompt transfers and your experience is the norm. I was glad you enjoyed the skiing and came back in one piece!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you next time you are flying from Gatwick.
Alberta
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This guest house is absolutely fabulous, the decor theme is consistent throughout. Our room and ensuite were clean, attractive, welcoming and the tea making equipment was just what we needed. Excellent. We thought the continental breakfast was weak though.

Staff were attentive and courteous. The price was very good too!!

It is close to Gatwick and has a shuttle service to the airport, also airport parking can be arranged. It is also just a 5 minute walk to the train into London. Perfect for that day away. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MinervaAlberta
springwoodGatwick, Owner at Springwood Guest House Gatwick, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind review. We are gradually extending the art deco theme into all the rooms as it has proved so popular with guests. We have a mixture of original and reproduction pieces and I encourage guests to try to 'spot the difference'.

I would like to be able serve a full English breakfast, however our kitchen is far too small to be able to do it. In the long term we hope to able to do the extensive building work needed to provide a big kitchen.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we see you again.
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I booked our room through laterooms and got an excellent price. The owners emailed me to confirm whether I would need transfers or parking and when we arrived we truly felt welcomed. Taxis were booked for the following morning without fuss and we were even given a little printout to describe how to get to the local pub where we had booked to have dinner that night. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. I will be staying here again next time I have an early flight from Gatwick.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TinyEm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Hampton by Hilton London Gatwick Airport
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Gatwick Turret Guest House

Been to Springwood Guest House Gatwick? Share your experiences!