“Worst B&B Ever”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Worst B&B Ever”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is an absolutely awful B&B and would not recommend to anyone. It is filthy, smelly, the room was far too hot and could not be cooled down. The shower room was also awful. The man that was in charge was rude and obnoxious.
When I booked this room with Laterooms there was nothing mentioned about paying for parking which was absolutely a joke. You have to pay £4 a night to park outside the house which was full of big vans and loads of cars. Hardly any room to park anything. Just glad I only had one night booked there as I couldn't wait to get out and away from such a horrible place.
I wasn't well after staying here although I never had any food there. I think it is easy to pick up anything untoward from this awful place.
T.V. didn't work at all when I went into the room had to ask for it to be looked but still not very good. Very small old square tv. Door to bedroom didn't shut very well unless you banged it. No Duvets used in this B&B.

Room Tip: Pile of junk wouldn't recommend any of these.
Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
13 Thank jumpracing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
West London
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked this hotel as we didn't want to leave extra early to get to Gatwick for our flight. We were given a family room for 2 of us. The room was large with a double bed and two single ones , the room was clean the bedding unlike previous comments was perfectly clean to. The shower was very small but did what it should . There was a tea tray with coffee etc . I personally found my bed uncomfortable and didn't have a good nights sleep but the others in other rooms said they slept well . Breakfast in the morning was very good, hot fresh cooked to order with vegetarian option, a choice of cereal , juices tea and coffee. For the price we paid I don't think it could be bettered , it was a bargain . The guy on reception when we checked also cooked breakfast and was very pleasant , altogether I would recommend this hotel for its closeness to Gatwick and for a good hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank saffy50
Hillingdon
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was a late booking and cheap so can't complain too much, although I was unhappy to see a bed that looked like it had been slept in as the duvet was crumpled and creased, need less to say I slept on top of the bed. If you are a larger person avoid the top floor as the toilet space is very cramped. I certainly won't go back but that is not to say the other rooms might be better?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GMCX
Danvers MA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This accommodation was close to Gatwick Airport where we were changing planes. They sent a detailed note on how to reach them for a pickup. We were leaving for an early flight but luckily someone was coming in on a shuttle so we got a ride to the airport with them. Shuttle cost can be added to room. We were in a "family room" simply because there were stairs to our original room so they gave us one on the first floor. I would say the room was a little rundown, but the shower was nice and hot. For a simple overnight, it suited the purpose.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage try to get a first floor room as there are not elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meredith H
UK
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Collected from Gatwick Airport as arranged with the Hotel car facility, shown smoothly from reception to the annex of the hotel. Twin bedded room, usual refreshments on a tray, and TV. I felt very happy to have found such a well run, quiet and professionally run hotel. I meant to review it some time ago, but life distracted me! But I certainly recommend this hotel. Easy parking within its forecourt.

Room Tip: I had a front ground floor bedroom en suite. Good enough for me. Quiet all night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mixedfeelings
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

GBP39.00 doesn't buy much by way of accommodation. My room only had 3 single beds, No globe in lamp and a rather poor shower.

Staff friendly enough. The breakfast was edible, it was a full English breakfast...but very minimal.

I felt that everything was skimped but other low cost places I have stayed at near Gatwick not really any better.

Don't expect much and you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room at rear.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tiger_DFT
Coventry, UK
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at the Gainsborough Lodge for one night in July. I had a very early morning flight from Gatwick Airport the following day so needed somewhere to stay the night before that wasn't too far away,

The Gainsborough was just the job for this, My single room with shower for £38 (including £4 parking) for one night was fairly reasonable I thought, The room was basic, small and clean, but this was all I needed. The room had tea/coffee/kettle/etc in the room which was pretty good for a £38/night hotel. I didn't stay for breakfast due to my early morning flight so can't comment on that. The Gainsborough is only a few minutes drive from Gatwick Airport which was why I chose to stay here which was perfect for my early morning start on the following day,

Should also mention that the Gainsborough is only a few minutes walk from Horley town centre where there are a few pubs, etc where you can get a drink/bite to eat.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, although I might also look at other establishments in the area next time just to check out what they are like, costs and so on but I wouldn't have any issues staying at the Gainsborough again as its value for money for one night.

Room Tip: Parking is limited so make sure you reserve your parking space at the time you book.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MartinH123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!