“Avoid like the plague!!!”
Review of Gainsborough Lodge

Gainsborough Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have given this a one star, only because I had to give it something.
I arrived at 12:00 noon and they sat me in the reception and asked me to wait 10 minutes as my room was not quite ready yet.
1 and a half hours later they informed me it was ready. I went to my room only to find out it was comparable to a cardboard box. It did not even look as though anything had been done to it, how could it have taken an hour and a half to prepare???
The room was grotty and could do with a major revamp.
The following morning I went down for breakfast and there was no sign of anyone working there. Myself and another guest had to knock on the kitchen door and ask him what the procedure was for ordering a breakfast. He eventually served us, but it was slop on a plate to be polite.
I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another B & B!
21  Thank AaronN689

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Horley is very close to Gatwick airport and is home of many B&Bs and lodges. I needed a place to stay for one night and was lured by the price, wireless and shuttle service (some reviews claimed it is free - it is not; it is 5 pounds each way for a 5 minute trip and costs slightly less than a taxi). Luckily, the taxi came within 15 minutes - often clerk leaves to pick up guest, leaving others, who came by car and are waiting at the front desk, to wait until he returns to register and get their key. What is wrong with this set-up? After check-in, I was told wireless is only available in the lobby. Then taken outside in a circuitous route to get to my room. Very small - not enough room to swing a cat (see photos). The bathroom is even smaller. The tiny basin sink can not even fill the kettle for tea. There is a sign on the bathroom not to leave the door open as the fire alarm will sound. Given the fan clogged with dust and the great amount of mould all around the bathroom (floor, shower bottom, and top), I wonder if this is a good idea. Came in late - only thing open was takeaways but if you eat in your room, there is a 50 pound fine. As I often wash myself with a face cloth, I asked for extra towels. The clerk, Ravin, told me that I was given the standard bath, mat, and hand towel and no others would be supplied. He even told me that for 38 pound (cost of the room and his Armani [if real] shirt), it is all that could be expected. Ravin indicated that I was accustomed to 4 star hotels and service. Well, I have stayed at everything from hostels to 4 star hotels on 5 continents in many countries but never encountered any hotel clerk like Ravin. He told me that I was the funniest customer that he ever encountered and if I wanted extra towels, I should stay at the Hilton. Perhaps, I will in the future. I do know that if Ravin got a job at the Hilton and displayed this attitude, it would be his last day on the job. As my room was on the corridor path to others, I was woken up several times as the lights went on as guests went through. I would recommend staying at another B&B at Horley - there are many about.

Room Tip: get a room away from road. Avoid room on corridor path to other rooms. Very noisy and disturbed by l...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
26  Thank Gerry049
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Very close to Gatwick Airport (less than 10min drive) and 10min walk to the train station to the center of London (45min approx.).
Rooms are of a good size (bad mattress) and clean but a bit noisy.
Staff is nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Further to my mum's review "Fly infestation" last week, I have uploaded some pictures of the fly infestation I woke up to in my room. These are only of the source - there were most flies around the room.

After getting a partial refund I only ended up paying £17 for the single en suite room but I still think it is far too much! Not only did I not get any sleep before my early flight due to the noise and spending far too long trying to get the shower to the right temperature, I also ended up starting my holiday in a very bad mood. I think I would have been better off sleeping in the airport.

Looking at the other reviews it seems that the rooms are sometimes ok and sometimes awful. I don't think it's worth the risk - either spend more on a nicer place or sleep in the airport if you're flying. I wish I'd read some reviews before booking it.

15  Thank Nina A
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My daughter just text me having woken up in a single room at this place ready to catch a flight.
She arrived tired to a be back soon sign,gone to airport(not so bad)Had to call for help to adjust shower and then almost suffocate during the shower due to lack of ventilation and space( not one to exaggerate or complain).She had to be up at 3am and decided she may not get to sleep at the airport but now feels she may as well have saved the money after having been woken four times by the plumbing system and once by a noisy arrival.
The worst part however was being greeted by dead flies on bedside table when she woke, there were others and she tracked them to a nest in the skirting board!!She has photographic evidence, too late for her but not for you .
I guess this place think they can get away with it due to their location and the fact that many wouldn't be returning there anyway.

She has photographic evidence, too late for her but not for you .

14  Thank loxbury
Reviewed May 12, 2012

On arrival the place looks in serious need of a paint job. I commented to my boyfriend that from the road it looked a bit like the Adams Family house! The guy was helpful on reception. We had a room in the annex part and it was fine for noise levels. The room felt like it could be tarted up a bit. The TV worked and it bed was ok and there is not a lot more you can ask for for £40 a night. We left for a very early flight so didn't have breakfast.

All in all the place was ok for a budget stay, however I wouldn't stay there again and would bite the bullet and pay a tenner more and stay in a travelodge or similar.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This place is not bad for one night if you're wanting to get to Gatwick Airport first thing in the morning. My single room was clean, simple, plus the central heating worked well. The bed was comfy, with extra blanket and pillow if needed. The bathroom was tiny but served its purpose. A hairdryer would have been appreciated, also a television that worked ... mine didn't.
Breakfast was basic as I was away before 9am when the cooked stuff was provided, but I at least had juice, toast and marmalade.
The place lacks atmosphere but for those quickly passing through it really doesn't matter.
This was my third stay here but will pay a bit more next time for another place along the road where there should be a hairdryer and working TV in the room, also a bigger bathroom.
P.S. Bring your own earplugs, otherwise you'll be awake all night with other folk snoring upstairs, downstairs, through the walls and across the corridor.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alison S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South (London Road) Hotel

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!