“Cheerful Italian restaurant”

Ranked #3 of 121 Restaurants in Horley
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Il Sorriso Restaurant is located a 5 minute drive from Gatwick Airport. We are a warm, welcoming and child- friendly restaurant, who use nothing but fresh ingredients to cook our many varied menu, which includes many mouth watering pasta dishes, chicken and fresh fish. We serve the best Pizza's around which are cooked fresh and baked in our special pizza oven by our pizza chef. We cater for parties and special occasions, and children's menu is available. A superb wine list is also available for those wine lovers out there.
Reviewed February 4, 2015

I ate here some while back. good food, good service. What's not to like? PS I was ther at least 6 years ago - not allowed to say that on your selections below.

Reviewed January 30, 2015 via mobile

We came on a Saturday night so couldn't get a table until 20:30. This was a good sign as when we arrived it was full so must be good food. We ordered drinks quickly and the wine was really nice. The waiter was friendly and said this bottle was his favourite on the menu too. We ordered food and our starters arrived quickly. I had the mushrooms in garlic and white wine which I didn't enjoy. The White wine was really bitter and hadn't been cooked off. My boyfriend had some kind of fried seafood which was really nice! We then waited quite a long time for our mains. We didn't mind to much as the atmosphere in the restaurant was great. When they finally arrived it was a different waiter who wasn't interested in us whatsoever. No apology for the wait or any engaging conversation at all. My boyfriends pizza was very nice and worth going for. I had a simple pasta dish which was fine. I had a side salad of rocket and Parmesan which was very Italian and fresh, I loved it! We didn't have desserts even though they looked good as by the time our table was cleared the whole restaurant had pretty much emptied out and it lost its atmosphere. Would go here again as the food was nice however would most likely go during the week when it is less busy to get better service.

Reviewed January 30, 2015

We ate here at 20:45 on a Friday night at the end of October whilst staying at the Premier Inn at Gatwick.

We wanted to eat Italian to get us in the mood for our holiday the next day, and booked a table around 18:00. We arrived and the restaurant was almost full, I think ours was the last table available, we were seated and ordered drinks. The atmosphere was really enjoyable and our drinks arrived quickly and all seemed to be running very smoothly.

We ordered started and mains, and again our starters were brought out quite quickly and were very tasty. Our table was cleared after out starters around 21:15, but here the problem started. We waited and waited and waited for our main course and at 10:30 we said we were leaving, to be told our food was just coming. True enough it did arrive about 5 minutes later, but 1 and half hours waiting for your main course with no apology - and actually seeing our waitress sat at a table eating her dinner was truly awful customer service. We finished our mains around 11:00 and left as we had to catch a flight at 06:00 the next morning, again when the bill came there was no apology or explanation which was if nothing else extremely ignorant.

All in all the food was really nice, and the atmosphere was great, I think they obviously had an issue in the kitchen and if they had explained this it would not have been a problem, treating us so badly was. I do think this must be a one off on the night - there were many tables waiting a long time for food as other reviews on here are great- as ours would be if it was on food and atmosphere alone. Very disappointed

ilsorriso142, Owner at Il Sorriso, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2015

Dear Grahame,
Thanks for your review of Il Sorriso. We are sorry to hear you felt disappointed with your experience. But can we say thank you for your kind words about our food- it's always great to have positive feedback :))
Service at Il Sorriso is always high on our list of criteria and we are well known in our area for always offering a very efficient, professional and friendly service to all customers. As I recall correctly this particular evening was exceptionally busy and we did have some issues in the kitchen, which we would of made all our customers aware of, so if you say you didn't receive any form of explanation or apology for the delay of your meal, then I would like to say how sorry we are.
A busy resturant should never be an excuse for bad service in my opinion.
In reference to your comment about the 'waitress having her dinner', well staff are entitled to their breaks and there was adequate remaining waiting staff to cover. We are sorry if this made for "Truly awful customer service ." It should also be noted that staff do not have food that is "cooked to order" whilst on their breaks, so therefore this would not have impeded your order in any way.

If you so wish to discuss this further with me, please do not hesitate to contact us via the restaurant or by trip advisor. I will be more than happy to hear from you. I do hope that if you happen to be in the area again, that you will give us another try.

Regards

Reviewed January 19, 2015

Poor quality tasteless food, small portions that looked unappetising. The prices were expensive for what we had. The noisy environment spoilt the family celebration. The chairs were very uncomfortable, the seating did not allow us to feel relaxed and all talk to one another.

1  Thank secam099
ilsorriso142, Owner at Il Sorriso, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2015

Dear secam099
We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to our restaurant. We feel our prices are fairly reasonable compared to other chains that don't seem to offer the 'personal ' touch. Our chairs have recently been changed, and they are much more comfortable than the previous ones. Many customers have commented that they love the new chairs.

Reviewed January 3, 2015

great place. Was a bit put off when we arrived to a completely empty restaurant but decided to stay and give it a go. So glad we did, was our wedding anniversary and we decided on lunch rather than dinner. Food and service both excellent. Sure we will be going back.

ilsorriso142, Owner at Il Sorriso, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2015

Dear Jean h
We are delighted that you celebrated your wedding anniversary with us,, and we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review! Hope to see you again soon:))