“Exceeds expectations”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Exceeds expectations”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

In the past I have always found staying at Travelodges a rather soulless experience. This one was so much better. Very decent and quiet room, friendly staff and remarkable value. So handy for catching a flight the next day. I do wish they did not charge guests extra for parking though, unless you intend leaving the car there when on your trip.
Breakfast on site was perfectly good and not too expensive given the options

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Uxbridge, Middlesex
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This was the first time we had booked a hotel at Gatwick for the night prior to a flight but we would certainly do it again. Although still an early start, the prospect of getting up in the middle of the night and chancing traffic on the M25 (which, let's face it can be disrupted at any time of the day or night) made this a no-brainer.

So, to the hotel itself - it's a Travelodge, and quite honestly if you've stayed in one before then you know precisely what you're going to get. This one differs slightly in the fact that it is a fairly substantial property and has a 24 hour bar, although it is a fairly bright and plastic chair establishment, and you wouldn't choose it as a go-to venue. The food was fairly poor for the price, though.

Bed and facilities were up to the usual efficient Travelodge standard (the hotel has recently undergone a refurb so is not tatty) and we had a restful sleep before catching the shuttle bus to the North Terminal. This leaves frequently, even at the crack of dawn and takes less than fifteen minutes to either terminal from right outside the hotel door for around three pounds.

So, for convenience and value for money you couldn't get better. You wouldn't book it for a romantic weekend break but that's obviously not the target market and the hotel makes no attempt to be anything other than an airport hotel that carries out the desired function without fuss.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simonjolty
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Considering I've stayed in other travelodge, my experience at this hotel wasn't too great. The best way to describe everything was a "cold" atmosphere. Very basic room amenities, the shower pole not ideal if you're over 5"11.......too low and when you remove the head the hose is too short. I find myself crouching to have a bath. No tea/coffee but the hotel fixed a bottle opener to the desk?!!!.....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment Biggy122. We feel we provide all that is needed for a comfortable nights sleep which will include a clean room and a comfortable bed with tea and coffee making facilities so we are sorry to learn that your room was not set up with the correct facilities on this occasion. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they can look into the improvements which need to be made. We apologise for the inconvenience caused on this occasion.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

After the disaster I experienced at the alternate Gatwick Travelodge last year, ( Travelodge were quick to provide a full refund), I opted to stay here this year, in the knowledge that it has been fully renovated in the past year or so. I had previously stayed here some years ago when it was the Mercure but it now bears no resemblance.

As I had travelled to Gatwick by train, and had taken advantage of an early check in leaving my case, for some exercise I thought I would walk from the South Terminal to the hotel. This was a big mistake as this mainly involves walking the other side of a crash barrier along the dual carriageway on a muddy path. On my return the following morning, I took the hotel bus costing £3 and running every 10 minutes.

As there was a queue at the check in desk, for the first time, I used the booth which on entering my booking reference dispensed the key card. This hotel is huge but my room was on the ground floor and my room was unrecognisable from any Travelodge at which I had previously stayed and presumably reflects the styling of the company's new makeover. I dined in the restaurant in the evening and this represented good value. The bed was firm but fine for me but would not suit everyone of course.

I booked a little in advance with the room costing £22, the most I have paid for a Travelodge but this was really good for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank binonatrip
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Step into a Travelodge and you know what you will get: good clean, basic accommodation, with a comfortable bed/duvet/pillows and an average bathroom. So whether you are in Glasgow, Guildford or Gatwick - it does what it says on the can! Travelodge Gatwick Central is a good example of this known brand. The staff I met were friendly and courteous.

Arrived here very late for an early morning flight to Venice. Please note, the Travelodge Gatwick Central is NOT within walking distance to either terminal. However, there is a frequent shuttle service to and from the Travelodge at £3 per journey.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We booked 2 rooms at around £22 each about 11 months before our Florida trip which had an early check in, and we wanted to avoid any problems with the notorious M25.
The rooms, service etc. were excellent, and much better than the hotel we used on previous occasions. The bar and food area looked busy but reasonably priced.
Sleep quality was fine and we did not get disturbed by other guests.
Only a short drive to the South Terminal and got our holiday off to a smooth start.
Would definitely stay there again when flying out early.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Faversham
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here the night before flying from the North Terminal with my family. When we arrived the check in was efficient but that was where the positives ended.
We had requested a cot for our 1 year old but instead found that a bed had been made up. We then went to have a meal in the hotel but found that the queues to order food were extremely long and the food was very expensive. The food took over 50 minutes to arrive and was mediocre especially for the price.
The room was basic and lacked any comforts especially for a family. I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent stay Simcoaxial. We do expect that our rooms are set up correctly for our customers and if a guest has requested a cot before their arrival then this should be provided. It is regrettable to learn the service in the bar café fell below our high standards and you experienced a delay when waiting for your food. Our bar café staff are fully trained in how to prepare food to a great standard and in a timely manner. We’ll be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they are able to look into the improvements which need to be made.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport
Hampton by Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Been to Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central? Share your experiences!