“Does what it says”

Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel
Ranked #27 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Good deal with 15 days parking and 1 night stay with airport drop off and pick up.Clean but needs some T.L.C. Breakfast not very good. Evening meal acceptable .Our room had a very poor view of flat roof with broken chairs and other rubbish .In the ally 3 broken fridges and other rubbish.Could all be made so much better with a couple of hours cleaning up and some T.L.C. For elderly people like ourselves ,it would have been very good to have been offered help with cases,especially as there was a step after the lift..A little bit of customer care could really turn this place around.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed by chance, last minute reservation; was looking for a hotel close to the north terminal at short notice.
Hotel (!) itself is a dump (sorry, I am being polite here), smelly old inn painted over and under Wyndham wings. Receptionist was plain rude, seem to be irritated that I arrived at all, haven’t said more than 5 words to me.
Corridors smell of mildew, walls are dirty and with chipping paint. Room seemed to be more recently ‘updated’, but carpeting was ripped in places and stained. It was unusually cold, rainy night, so the room was cold and unpleasant but I was refused an additional blanket. I was told to wait for AC to kick in.mt had to stay on all night, cracking and making a lot of noise. Slanted roof window means that or it has to stay closed or it opens all the way as there is no way to adjust it. Nightmare.
Restaurant offers Indian buffet, I was reluctantly offered a la cart menu and it took 45min to get frozen/ ready to eat chicken burger. Although nicely decorated, restaurant is adjacent to the bar/ pub, with lot of noise coming in. I was sited directly next to the main passage as all corner tables were’ already set for b’fast). Very poor experience.

NOTE: If you are looking for good deal hotel, think twice, taxi fee from the train station to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport will add up to half of the room price at Sofitel, so just go ahead an book it straight away.

Room Tip: Back facing, there is a huge car part at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank iamconstanttraveller
Reviewed January 14, 2014

we had a 'fly and drive' deal which was about £92 for 15 days parking and overnight stay before we left.We like it here as you just leave the car at reception over night then leave in the morning able to leave over night bags in your car. The shuttle mini - bus is reliable(£5 pp each way) and stops briefly at South terminal first.,before depositing you at the outdoor North terminal -some distance from the lifts to get you to departures.. We were flying with Easyjet and had to walk a long distance with hand luggage. Days hotel isn't luxury, but it was clean with tea n coffee making in the room and an ok tv.Reception was quick and efficient. book your shuttle the night before and ask for an alarm call .Bath water was hot, but the bath room was cold and when i asked for the towel rail to be switched on was told there was air con heating ,so wasn't done and the knob on the rad was broken.The Indian restaurant was first class-lamb samosas spot on. chicken tikka masala not too sweet and spinach balls with nuts in a tomato sauce tasty-all with rice with peas. A good way to start the hols. this was our 2nd visit here and would come again-mainly for the reasonable cost,easy parking and good Indian.

Room Tip: Ask if you prefer a bath to a shower. bring your own extra pillows.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here recently before Xmas and parked the car here too. We got a good deal and the rooms were immaculate and very modern. We would definately stay there again. The food was ok, not the best we have had but edible, breakfast was the same.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked one of their very competitively Fly&Drive packages in December 2013. Our room was clean and had everything we needed for a one night stay before departing for holidays. The Indian food in their attached restaurant was acceptable (plus very friendly service).

The hotel shuttle bus that takes peolpe to the airport might need updating soon though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night before flying to Asia the following early the following morning. This hotel is in need of serious refurbishment. There was a bucket catching drips outside the lift on the first floor. Rooms are extremely basic and somewhat tatty. Rooms were noisy. Went out for something to eat and when we got back at 10.45pm the bar was closed. The staff made a big deal of getting us one drink. I thought if you stay at a hotel you are entitled to room service. Even for a one night stay this hotel just isn't worth it. Transport to and from airport was good and the car park worked well.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drimbane
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Well what can I say, this hotel is one of those places that generally gets used by the stopover clan of which I am one. I arrived in Gatwick in November 2013 and took a cab to this nightmare in the Surrey countryside. I knew things were not going well when the reception staff spent a staggering 43 minutes trying to check in the couple in front of me. When it was my turn to be checked in it went relatively smoothly I booked and paid for a shuttle to take me to the airport the following morning and also paid for a breakfast. i was given my room card and struggled up several flights of stairs with my suitcase (the lift was working occasionally). After getting into my room I was disappointed to note that despite the fact it was November and cold outside no heating was available in the room, this was a minor gripe in comparison to the fact that the room had two 2ft 6inch camp beds in it, they were very wobbly and sleep wasn't an option. A kettle was provided which didn't have a plug on it, so therefore no tea or coffee items were there, the TV picked up BBC1 only. I left my room taking only my room card to explore the hotel and find out what time the restaurant would be open, I spent around 10 minutes doing so and asked the reception staff when the restaurant would be open and was informed that this was 6pm. i went back to my room to find that I couldn't get it and had to return to reception to be told by the same receptionist that had checked me into the hotel; I needed some form of ID to prove I was staying in the Hotel, now don't get me wrong, I understand that you can get a lot of people coming through a reception area but is someone's memory that bad that they don't remember something that happened an hour ago! After some discussion and a grudging reluctance I was given a another card which allowed access and I returned the faulty card. The restaurant was okay but everything clearly came from Iceland and some of it had not been defrosted properly before cooking. Despite having had very little sleep due to the awful beds I tried to have a shower in the morning only to find that both the shower and bath did not work as there was a trickle of water coming from the taps. The same thing went for the washbasin, it was a trickle of water from the cold tap and nothing from the hot tap. I could not wait to leave this place, and I would never recommend it to anyone it's truly appalling. I know this is a low budget bargain basement hotel but you do expect a few basics to be met.

Room Tip: For a good room - Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jane Ravenwood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth

Been to Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel? Share your experiences!