“Affordable, nice rooms but room for improvement.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Gatwick Skylane Hotel

BEST WESTERN Gatwick Skylane Hotel
Ranked #27 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Affordable, nice rooms but room for improvement.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Needed an hotel with rooms for 4 and Outlet hotels coughed up this Days hotel as the most affordable. I like a good deal. We arrived and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the service received from the staff, compared to the reviews I had read. The hotel was reasonably close to the gatwick airport.The room was nice and clean and spacious for us 4. I must say that I experienced the damp murky smell on entry to the room. That was fixed by opening the window for a shortwhile. Every day, after the room was cleaned and we got back it had the same smell.
I advised the reception to get the cleaners to air the room after cleaning. He wasn´t a good listener and was a bit defensive. Otherwise, all requests were swiftly responded to and handled in a helpful manner. The room had beds and a nice table but no chair. i requested one and that was arranged.

I learned that we had to re+activate the keycard on a daily basis. Parking was free! A shuttle to the airport was available for 5 pounds per person. It had a restaurant for breakfast and an Indian restaurant (which we did not use). There was a fish an chips place about 5 mins drive away and a pub that served food from 12.

We stayed for 4 days and it was okay. The free WIFI was nice and of a decent speed. While it was good value for money if booked ahead, there is room for improvement.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bina P, Manager at BEST WESTERN Gatwick Skylane Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted that you found your stay pleasant. As all room cards have an electronic strip, sometimes keeping the room card too close to your mobile phone may deactivate the card and therefore a re-activation is needed. This is a possible reason as to why the card needed to be activated daily. I have passed on your feedback regarding the damp smell in the room onto our cleaning staff, and hopefully this should no longer be an issue going forward.

We are delighted that you were happy with our facilities and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We really tested this hotel day by day. We chose it because it was cheap during the Olympics. We got a family room sleeping four for 84 pounds a night through Hotel.com. We stayed for 3 nights and overal had a pretty good stay. We had one problem of miscommunication with the room cleaning and failed to have our room made up one day but that was our only problem. For the rest of the time the front desk was helpful and accommodating. Special thanks must go to Dennis one of the shuttle drivers who went out of his way to take our bags to the airport on our final day when we wanted to go to Crawley and not return to the hotel to pick up our baggage. Generally it's a place for an overnight stay and it does that job well. Rooms and bathrooms were clean and decor was good.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you were happy with your stay. It is always pleasant to receive positive feedback, and I will surely pass on your appreciation to our staff members and especially Dennis. Positive feedback always motivates staff members to continue to provide excellent customer service and continue to improve our standards. We hope to see you again soon.
Reigate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We booked one of the function rooms in early 2012 only to be told last week, some 5 weeks before our party date, that it had been double booked for a wedding. The new management lost our booking and only a month or two ago accepted an alternative. We only knew when we went to pay the balance of the room hire. The Manager advised he could find our cheque for the deposit but no paperwork in support thereof.

We were offered an alternative room as the Manager advised the wedding must take preference over our party as the suite was the only room in the hotel licenced for civil weddings. We had rejected this alternative room when we originally booked as it was small and grubby and would not meet our requirements. The Manager refered to it as a garden room but through the patio doors all we could see were rows of cars which, we imagine. was part of its Gatwick Airport parking policy. The Manager advised they were only there as building work was going on and he would move them.

We were advised that the wedding couple may swap rooms once the wedding ceremony was over. We doubted this very much, well would you?

We were being given the run around and felt the hotel wanted the full financial remuneration of the wedding package over and above our room only hire, We had a contract with the hotel which the new management had broken. We had no faith in the hotel and the Manager and, reluctantly and at additional cost and great inconvenience to ourselves, we cancelled our "non existant" booking and went elsewhere which was a challenge in itself being so late in the day,

We couldn't even get our deposit back immediately. We had to send an email requesting it and we waited a week to receive it. No additional amount as compensation, or to cover the cost of sending out alternative invites and other additional costs. And to cap it all, we received an email from the Manager saying he was suprised we were unwilling to work with him to resolve the matter.

Our daughter was in tears over this, six months plus in the planning only to be met with attitude, frustration and disagreement. The Manager even advised our daughter she would be better off in the alternative room as the roof of the suite we had booked leaked and her guests would get wet if it rained! Wonder if he informed the wedding couple of this.

Never again, I wish anyone staying here or booking function rooms all the very best, You may need it.

3 Thank 30John51
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Arrived very late (10:15pm.) after having a very bad, long day. Was really looking forward to a fuss free hotel booking in.
Alas this was not meant to be. The non amicable staff received me with a stern poker face just like the song by Lady Ga Ga. He initially claimed that I was not on the computer. Like Little Britain the computer said 'No'. After five minutes of asserting my booking - he finally accepted my room confirmation, claiming a misunderstanding.
Not impressed by the unfriendly reception, I wearily retired to my room.
The shower was cold and had no heat at all. I was that tired, I was past caring.
Then the room phone rang, and a guy at the other end, in a non-English, incoherent accent claimed my company's credit card had been declined - despite having a paid, Internet receipt and my company having an account.
I explained that he was in error and I could do without a late night debate over his incompetent admin and customer care skills.

Stayed August 2012
2 Thank JimmyCrackenbush
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We arrived here on the Saturday morning to check our car in having spent the previous night in the Lingfield park marriott,which I'd highly recommend for similar money, althought further out i agree. The car park was anything other than secure which we we're willing to overlook, then reception took ages to find our booking with no apology or manners whatsoever, the minibus ride to the airport was an experience in itself, dirty and old although the driver was very nice and extremely helpful with our luggage as my wife and I had two toddlers and four cases. Then on our return we arrived at the hotel at 0400 tired with two grumpy exhausted toddlers to be met by reception staff who can only be described as rude, couldn't find us again on their bookings then told me he needed my car registration number as another guest had a flat battery on their car and they could'nt jump start it from the shack of a minibus and would need to use my vehicle. I willingly did this for the family who we're stranded not for the staff at the hotel, what made the experience even more shocking was the guy who's car it was had told myself and the staff that the hotel were responsible for the flat battery as an interior light had been left on for the week, despite this as soon as i helped out Mr helpfull reception disappeared inside in the dry leaving us to it!! hardly a great service, no apology or thank you. When i finally got to our room it was damp cramped and smelt, my wife and exhausted children were however asleep so i climbed into a very uncomfy bed and attempted to get some sleep which was impossible as you can hear everything that is going on throughout the hotel. Over all an extremly shocking experience that i'd never repeat, I'm a very easy going guy who never complains or rights reviews, I have also slept in some extreme hostile places and had a much better nights sleep, if just one family reads this and doesn't book this awful place then I feel my review is justified.

3 Thank louise e
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here twice because we booked online and prepaid. First time the floor and room was damp, the towel warmer was broken and leaked on the bathroom floor leaving it soaking and slippery. They gave us a bucket for the drip. " No rooms available to change". The air conditioning was broken. The fire alarm went off at 5:15AM. The second time we had to pay double because the Olympics had begun. We asked for a better room. The sink stopper was jammed shut and there was still a damp, musty smell. The shuttle to the airport was so grimy inside people had written various dates in the dust. Spend a few extra bucks and go elsewhere.

1 Thank rpcandoman
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Terrible experience at this hotel. The rooms were very damp and musty and the air conditioning and heater in our rooms were broken. The towel heater rack was rusted and broken and in our friend's room it leaked water all over the floor. When they asked to change rooms the hotel said they were full and couldn't do it. Free wifi but was very slow so it hardly worked. There was no service at the desk, when we called it just rang and rang. At 5:30 in the morning the fire alarm went off in the whole building and everyone began evacuating, only to be told that someone's hot and steamy shower had set it off. Not a good night at all! There is a shuttle to the airport for 4 pounds but the inside is filthy, the ground is covered in dirt and sand, the seats are stained and the doors are greasy and dirty. They also charged double during the Olympics, will not be staying here again, avoid it if you can there are plenty of other hotels along the same road.

Room Tip: just don't stay here