“Ok location in relation to flights out of Gatwick”

Airport Inn Gatwick
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed October 4, 2009

The hotel is a nice and affordable option if you are in search of a hotel close to Gatwick airport.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Airport Inn Gatwick

Reviewed September 14, 2009

If you can get this at a reasonable price online it is worth an overnight prior to an early flight out of Gatwick. It is a regular hotel and much better than most of the local guest-houses which claim to be hotels. The rooms are well designed and well supplied. I did not hear any noise from either the busy road outside or from the airport once I had the curtains closed. Having said that, I'm fairly immune to airport noise.
My single was a bit on the small side, but acceptable. The shuttle to the airport will cost an extra £3 each way and the full breakfast is a tad expensive if you do not include it in the room package. I took the room, dinner & breakfast option and that was very reasonable. I ate in the bar and the menu was ok. I presume there is a better choice in the restaurant. Total package was approx £44 for a single "room only" which came to £63 with meals included. I'm not sure how often they'll have those rates available. Get it while the times are bad!
When I stayed they were giving out internet access codes for free at check-in. It seemed that was their normal practice, but I'm unsure if it will continue. Good signal in both my room & the bar/restaurant area. I have to overnight in Gatwick again in a few weeks and I've already booked back into the Moat. If I can continue to get reasonable deals I will use it regularly. NOTE: I booked the first time via the Bestwestern website after checking prices on the web. For my next stay i booked through one of the travel websites as bestwestern showed no availability. No significant price differences between the travel websites and the hotel website.
PS: Reception were very accommodating when I phoned to request an extremely early check-in.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank freightdogs
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Great for Airport Stopover...

Clean, Tidy, staff Helpful, Bar and TRestaurant and Shuttle Bus

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed just one night as was flying at 5.40am the next day!! It would have cost £40 to park car but at the Moat House Room and Car Park was only £58..

Arrived at Hotel and parked car. Entrance area was clean and staff helpful.. Room was as expected comfortable, TV, Tea and Coffee. Clean Bathroom ( although towels a little stiff!!)

Had food from the Bar Menu.. Bar lacked some atmosphere but okay for a quiet drink and everyone had been travelling.. Food was tasty but not wow..

Had to then Pay £3 for shuttle bus per person that left every half an hour ( cheaper than a taxi) and it only took 2 mins...

On our return we again caught the bus back. No fun or hassle and better than getting up at 2am!!

Nice enough hotel and ideal for airport!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CazzieSlough_UK
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Only stayed at this hotel for one night, as we were flying early the next morning.There was absolutley nothing to complain about, the rooms were very clean and modern. There was a bar and a restaurant and every 20 mins there was a shuttle bus which took you to gatwick airport for free! Even though you were 5 mins away from the airport you could hardly hear any planes.
Would definetly recommend to anyone :)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank holidaygirl04
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I only had one night here, and chose it because it seemed good value for money and was convienient for Gatwick airport. The room was good, although the bathroom could have been a little cleaner (muck around the tiles, scum on the shower head, that sort of thing), and the restaurant and bar were nice enough and served decent food. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the breakfast - had it been included in the room price, I wouldn't have minded too much but I paid a fair bit extra for it. There was a fairly good selection, but it looked as though it had been sitting on the hotplates for hours and the food wasn't good quality at all.

I would say say that this hotel is ok if you can get a cheap deal and don't bother with hte breakfast, but if you're going to be spending more then a quick stopover, I would reccommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank Bailey1984
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My profession is a Guest Relations Manager in a 4 Diamond golf resort in the USA. I didn't have a reservation at any hotel when arriving at Gatwick, so I went to the pick up location and selected the Best Western solely based on the feedback from the bus driver. He was actually really helpful and an asset to the hotel. The hotel is conveniently located to the airport, approx 5mins, there is a 3 pounds fee, per person each way.

I checked in on a Friday evening, room rate was 49 pounds which I thought was reasonable. My main need from the room was a working phone since I had no means to communicate with family in the UK and US. Upon entering the room I immediately checked the phone, it was dead. It was also very hot so I adjusted the AC control, it didn't work.

I went back to the Front Desk and advised of the phone, they sent a staff member with a new phone, but the wall jack was the issue, not the phone. I was moved to another room close by that had a working phone and AC control. I ordered room service, it was a bit pricey but the portion sizes were larger than expected.

The room had two tea bags, a kettle, cups and coffee which I found to be convenient. Room was a decent size and clean. The decor was very basic, but for one night, it's a place to rest your head.

My departure back to the USA from Gatwick was early, so I decided to stay at the same location the night before. I followed the same process as I didn't have a reservation, at check-in I found the rate to be 30pounds more than my previous stay at 79 pounds, for a Tuesday evening I thought was odd, but later found that is normal due to business travelers and higher occupancy. At check-in the agent didn't know how to make a reservation, she was in training, which is ok; however, she used the word "crap" during conversation which I thought was unprofessional.

After entering the room I found it to be really warm again, I adjusted the AC but it blew heat regardless of setting, looking around the room I saw a trouser press which I thought was a nice touch, but noticed the tea bags were not restocked. I went back to the Front Desk and was again relocated to another room, this time being escorted by a manger. Upon entering the heat was evident again, the manager adjusted the AC but with no success. He informed me he wasn't sure what the problem was and his solution was to open the window for cool evening air. This did lower the temperature, but allowed the noise from the busy road below to enter the room. I also noticed the trouser press was missing but there were tea bags.

Since the trouser press was missing, I asked for an iron and ironing board. The manger, Jason, returned promptly with both. He informed me that the problem with the AC was that it was broken, no kidding, and they were waiting for a part to arrive. They had two choices, it would either blow hot or cold air and since it was "still winter" they had it set to blow hot air. I thought that was odd since the second room on my first stay actually did blow cool air....maybe I just got lucky.

I decided to eat at the bar/restaurant for dinner rather than room service, better value. Food was ok, service was good. On returning to my room I got a knock at the door from Jason, I had an incoming call that they couldn't transfer to my room. He checked the phone and it seemed that they could call internally, but not transfer. Anyway, the situation was rectified after some attention.

Overall the property is old but seemed clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Given the challenges I experienced I would have expected some form of rate adjustment or a complimentary drink in the bar or a complimentary shuttle ride. Something from the hotel that acknowledged the issues. I didn't make a fuss but rather wanted to give the hotel an opportunity to regain my confidence. Given that I stayed here twice and experienced the same issues, I think it's safe to say this hotel has its problems, it's not staff related, rather age related. Given the option, I doubt I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel
Gatwick Corner House Hotel

Been to Airport Inn Gatwick? Share your experiences!