“Basic Airport Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Horley
NE scotland
“Basic Airport Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed here during a stopover between flights.
Don’t be fooled by the bus that turns up at the bus stop saying they can take you to the hotel as its not the hotel bus and he will charge you about 3 quid.
Check in was ok, a bit dry.
Got the key to my room and once I got there, I could hear the AC unit squealing from outside the door. No what you need when you have been traveling for days and desperate for some sleep.
Went back down to the reception and they changed the room.
The room was basic and tired with no TV remote control.
The room was clean but there were hairs on the bathroom floor, this is a pet hate of mine and can’t understand why this is so hard to achieve for cleaning staff.
When I checked out I was asked to pay the bill but I had already informed them when I checked in that all cost had already been paid by my company and the eventually agreed that it was paid.
I asked the receptionist what time the bus came and he told me it would be there in 10 mins. When I boarded the bus I was asked for my bus voucher?
I had to go back and asked the receptionist for a voucher for the bus, when I asked him why he never said that I needed a voucher when I asked when the bus would arrive he said I never asked about a voucher ??
I would have been disappointed I had paid the prices that they were advertising at the reception.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Catherine J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear buckieloon

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport.

I was so sorry to read of the problems you encountered and I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please could you contact me at the Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Catherine James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here en route to a holiday. Reception staff were very pleasant and efficient, and the parking service was great, but the room was not what we'd expect from Holiday Inn. On our return from holiday, the car was ready and we were on our way home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Catherine J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Gregspray5

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London –Gatwick Airport.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff and the car parking.

We were very sorry to read that the room did not meet your expectations. I would like to discuss this further with you, if possible, please could you contact me directly at the Hotel.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed 1 night on route from Portugal ... the hotel looks a bit bleak from the outside and the common areas would benefit from a makeover, however, the condition is understandable given the price point and traffic the hotel sees. If you are travelling from the airport, be ready with your spare change as the bus ride is £2.50 or £2.50 per person.

Our room was good. A good size, clean and tidy with a 2-seater lounge, a decent flat screen TV with good reception for all free-to-air channels (not something we have always experienced on our travels), tea/coffee making facilities, a bath, but unfortunately no bar fridge.

Given the lack of available choice, we chose to eat dinner at the in-house restuarant - what a mistake! The pork spare ribs with sweet potato chips was truly awful ... the ribs appeared to have been broiled rather than cooked on a grill and were drowned in a sickly sweet "smokey" bbq sauce and served on top of the chips which by the time they reached the table were a soggy mush. The children's meal, lamb shepherds pie, was very oily. After complaining about the quality of the ribs we were offered a refund. Breakfast was the usual fair, and was completely adequate.

The thing that differentiated our stay at this hotel was the quality of the service we received from the front desk staff on arrival (with a tired 18 mth old in tow). We had booked the room (by phone) via lastminute.co.uk whilst in Portugal, but when we arrived there was no booking held, even though the booking and payment had been confirmed when we made the booking, and of course we hadn't had a call, sms or email from lastminute to advise they had cancelled the booking - unsurprisingly, we won't be putting any business their way going forward! The staff at the Holiday Inn couldn't have been more understanding and friendly ... fortunately there was a room available which they gave us for the same price that we had thought we had booked in the first place. And the room was available, and a cot for our son setup, within 15 minutes! Thank you again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marknmeils
Dear marknmeils

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport.

We were delighted to read your positive comments regarding your stay and how helpful the front desk staff were when you arrived at the Hotel.

I do sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered in the Restaurant, I was pleased to note that you were given a refund.

I do hope you will chose to book with us again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Recently stayed one night at Holiday Inn as I was flying out of Gatwick.

The location is fantastic and offers a shuttle to Gatwick for a small fee.

The hotel itself has oversized rooms, and is very quiet during the overnight. I initialy experienced a few housekeeping issues, which have been addressed and resolved very promptly.

This hotel is great for quick stop overs, and would not hesitate to consider it again next time I am in the area.

My only suggestion, would to set up a computer & printer/business centre away from the reception desk where guests could print off boarding passes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear andrewlorens

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport.

We do appreciate your valuable comments regarding the computer at Reception and I will pass these on.

We were delighted to read that you would consider staying with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Catherine James.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I booked this hotel for my last night even before I booked my other hotel that I stayed in the majority of my time in London, just so I oculd be close to the airport. I didn't expect much to be honest. But they were more than accomadating. From the time I checked in to the time I checked out. Nice room, very comfortable and clean. Ordered room service as well and the food was quick and delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay close to the airport. I will definitley stay again if I have to leave from Gatwick.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear LadyTayler

Thank you for your very positive review of the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport following your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at this Holiday Inn 4-5 times in the last couple of years whenever we travel from Gatwick Airport. In terms of location to the airport it is in an excellent position - just a few minutes drive by shuttle bus and its easy to find. The park and stay option is always very convenient for us travelling from Cardiff, especially when we have an early morning flight.

When we have previously stayed here our overall experience has generally been good but on our most recent stay we were very disappointed by the service we received.
When we went to check in the male member of staff at reception point blankly refused to speak to or acknowledge my husband as the booking was in my name. He rolled his eyes at us and tutted quite loudly when I asked my husband a question in relation to the car park form - not a very welcoming or pleasant arrival.
When we arrived into our room it was extremely warm. The air conditioning unit on the wall gave instructions on how to use it but we could not get it to work. We reported this to reception and about 20 minutes later someone came up to look at it. Instead of being honest and saying it was broken we were fobbed off with a pathetic excuse. We were told that the temperature was set for the entire floor and we could not make it colder - this would render the air on panel on the wall useless. We were told if we wanted it to be cooler they would have to turn off the heating system for our entire floor. By this point it was late and with a flight in the morning we couldn't be bothered to argue and just laughed at the excuses being offered. As expected we did not sleep very well because of the temperature.

We returned to the hotel at the end of our holiday 5 days later to collect our car. The car was ready for collection in the car park at the rear of the hotel but when we found it it was not locked. I don't know how long it had been unlocked for but having entrusted the hotel to look after it we were extremely disappointed. After 12+ hours of travelling and facing a 3 hour drive home we did not report this to reception - there was nothing they could do about it and we would probably have been fobbed off yet again with more excuses.

This Holiday Inn has always been our hotel of choice before flying from Gatwick but after this experience we will certainly think twice before staying with them again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SophieMarsden22
Dear SophieMarsden22

Thank you for taking your time to write your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport.

I do sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered. Please could I ask that you contact me directly at the Hotel, so that I can discuss this further with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Enjoyed my stay here. Easy enough connection to airport; all the facilities you could reasonably require; option of ground or upper floors. Staff knowledgeable and friendly enough. Room was functional, with trouser press, safe, TV etc.

One minor suggestion: I had to travel to the hotel twice during the day, at 3 quid each time for the courtesy bus. A system of return or even 24h tickets for the courtesy bus would definitely see me pick this again over the hotels directly linked to the Airport.

Room Tip: I chose an upper floor; room happened to be over the car park; seemed to be work well, didn't no...