“Re: Excellent ambience and Restaurant”

Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night and the setting and seclusion of the grounds were wonderful. we stayed in the Windsor room which was delightful with a staircase leading to our en-suite bathroom. Each of the rooms has a story to tell and the staff were friendly and courteous.

The restaurant served excellent food. The only little niggle was we ordered a paper for the morning and it didn't arrive and the mattress springs were broken in the middle of our bed and was not comfortable.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matthew B

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed overnight in a junior suite en route to the Caribbean. Arrived hot and bothered from central London and was immediately calmed. Very smart room and amenities. Staff (Nicole) most excellent. Also left car for the duration away. Good value for money in my humble opinion.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Boyd001
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to partake of afternoon tea at the Langshott Manor in Horley in July 2014 (a gift from friends). From the first moment at Reception in the 16th Century part of the building through to our departure, the experience was absolutely lovely (helped, no doubt, by the gloriously warm weather). The staff were very pleasant, but not overly present, and the surroundings were stunning. We sat on the terrace for our afternoon tea and were both surprised and delighted when a number of ducks swam into view on the pond a short distance away.

The selection provided for our afteroon tea was surprisingly filling (and included miniature PImms') and the teapot was, seemingly, bottomless!

The gardens are beautiful and expertly maintained - well worth a wander round. The afternoon was only marred by a toddler who insisted on picking up handfulls of gravel from the garden and throwing it at the ducks on the pond (I think he may have thought he was feeding them!) ... strangely enough, the parents didn't respond in a way that indicated to the child that this was wrong.

Overall, a delightful afternooon and I'd be very happy taking family or friends there in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I treated my daughter in law for a 1 night stay at this beautiful hotel as a 40 th birthday gift. It was an offer from travel zoo so I thought it was a good price. It came with a 5 course taster dinner. The meal was delicious but the drinks were very expensive. They both had a gin and tonic before their meal and was shocked to find it cost £25.80. When they checked out they had a further discretionary service charge of £21.98 added to their bill. The wine that went with the taster menu was £50. Although it is a beautiful building I would be put off by the rip off extras. I think these costs were just greedy and too over the top.

Room Tip: I paid extra to have a luxury room which was worth while.
4  Thank LEHBedford
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

This is well worth a visit for afternoon tea. Beautiful location, excellent tea - good selection and beautifully presented. Loved the red velvet cake pop and Pimms jelly. Elegant just about sums it up. Only criticism is that they should clean up the pond and make more of that as a feature. The staff are lovely.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Nicky R
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here for one night over the weekend for our 5th wedding anniversary, the place is very pretty and has lovely gardens with a pond and some ducks which provided us with some great entertainment!!

The room was lovely and overlooked the pond, one minor fault was that they had removed a tile which formed part of the bath panel and then replaced it but had failed to grout it back in ( I own my own kitchen and bathroom business so I take note of small things like this!!). The bed was really comfy and the room was very spacious and clean.

We dined in the mulberry dining room and had a lovely corner table over looking the pond, the food was excellent and this was one of the main reasons we chose this hotel. We also had afternoon tea on the lawn which was fantastic. All in all we had a great time and would strongly recommend a stay here.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Langshott Manor is a rather lovely sixteenth century house with beautiful, if compact gardens, and a duckpond formed from the remains of the medieval moat. We stayed for two nights to celebrate my other half’s birthday – the Elizabethan hotel we usually stay in having been booked out on that day for a wedding.

Our room (Jane Seymour) was one of two that had a balcony overlooking the moat replete with a good sized table and chairs. Inside there were also two squashy armchairs – handy for when the weather is not so good. Nicely decorated bathroom too with a large shower and separate bath. But oh for air conditioning!

Through Secret Escapes we booked both the room and the five course tasting menu for both nights we were there. The first evening we had it with the wine flight, and though both the pudding included and the dessert wine were far too sweet for my palette the rest of the food was delicious. I was a little surprised that one of the five courses was coffee with petit fours – I though these usually came after the meal rather than making up one of the courses – not a big problem anyway.

In the morning we took breakfast on the balcony and spent the day sitting in the shade as the humidity grew. We do think that the service needs a bit of polishing – we were very surprised that we had to go and find the drinks we had ordered to go with lunch. Even though there was a private lunch in the dining room it wouldn’t have hurt for one of the staff to check on the guests on the terrace every fifteen minutes or so.

As we were on our second night the chef provided a different soup and pudding for us (the starter and main course change on a daily basis) and I must say the strawberry delice was much more to my taste. Another nice touch was the different butter – the first night was a smoked garlic and the second a mushroom butter. There was the odd mix up but those were resolved and a nightcap offered by the Maitre D’ who, despite what appeared a largely inexperienced staff, kept things running.

I'd love to give the hotel five stars but I just can't do it this time around. All in all we enjoyed our short, mid-week break. We’d happily return.

Room Tip: Some of the room have private gardens, two of them have balconies directly over the moat.
1  Thank CatDavey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Egham
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Sofitel London Gatwick
Gatwick Corner House Hotel

Been to Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick? Share your experiences!