“Disappointing & weird”

Ranked #28 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Disappointing & weird”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

On pre-booked arrival we waited a long time to be seen to check in. In fact, I had to phone to get any attention! We were told that she was busy cleaning our room but there had been a fight for our room...we were very confused....as she then gave us a choice between 2 rooms and the other stayed empty! Having booked a double room plus child's bed we were disappointed to find 3 singles. She did however push them together and explained she mainly has workmen in during the week who room share. The giant tv didn't work but she swapped it for one that did work. We aren't sure whether she came in and turned it off though while we slept! Our every move (outside of the room, we assume!) was being watched and she appeared everytime we left our room to see what we were doing. No facilities - bar/food etc. Beds very comfy and lovely bedding BUT on second floor with small window on limited safety opening and no fan so too hot to sleep properly. Did feel sorry for her though as she seemed to be struggling single handedly, even though only one other family there. Had a very uncomfy feel to it and would not recommend or use again. Bathroom newly refurbished but communal areas cobwebby. All electrics in the room were linked to multi socket extension etc

Room Tip: Better for a winter stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Yorkshire England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel we had booked into went into bankcrupcy and this was the only place we where we could find a room at short notice. It is an unsual place and seems to be run on a shoe string by one person, who appears to be head cook and bottle washer, with all the jobs inbetween. We seemed to be the only guests over the weekend. The room was clean and the bathroom also, though the loo seat required some attention. For cheap accommodation near to the airport it wasn't so bad, just somewhat unusual and somewhat run down. The first room we were given, while being large and comfortable, was very hot, as it faced south and was very very noisy, overlooking the main road with non-stop traffic, and, due to the heat, the windows would have had to be kept open. We then were given a back room which was quieter and cooler. Because it is a one person show, the manager was always busy and so one had to seek her out if she was needed for anything, but she was always willing and helpful. Breakfast didn't start until 8.30a.m. although I am sure that, had there been an early flight to catch, something could have been arranged. The beds were comfortable with excellent pillows and duvets.

Room Tip: There are rooms on ground floor, first and second floors. However the rooms on the second floor are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fotinibell
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Gatwick Inn during my two week visit to the UK and was not disappointed. My room was immaculately remodelled and decorated to an extremely high standard which made it exceptionally comfortable to come back to after a long day exploring. This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel, and I would thoroughly recommend staying at this particular guest house. I didn't have a car, but I found the location ideal for catching a bus to the train station or even into a neighboring town. It is a very cheap and quick taxi ride to/from Gatwick Airport (£6). There is also a Sainsbury Local directly across the street which is fantastic if you need any food or beauty essentials.

Overall my room was fantastic. I had a west facing bedroom with ensuite and I loved it. My bed was a king size bed with the fluffiest feather comforter on it imaginable. I honestly felt like jumping on my bed like a child quite often. The bathroom has brand new features and marble tile throughout. Upon checking in, my room was immaculately clean and I had the biggest flat screen television that I have ever seen for my personal use! I had no difficulty sleeping and was never disturbed by any noise from outside or other guests. When staying here you can tell that no expense was spared in the remodelling of the property from the inside out.

The service was second to none and I have honestly never experienced such hospitality in any other country that I have visited. Leeli is the epitome of graciousness and friendliness. During my visit she made me feel like a beloved family member rather than a paying customer. She runs an exceptional home, one that I would recommend to my family, friends, and even strangers on here! I promise you will not be disappointed with your visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My room appeared to be fairly newly decorated, so was fairly clean in that respect. The glasses and cups were not, there was water pooled around them sitting on their wee tray and the kettle was half full. I don't think any of the doors fit properly in the hotel, if you have anyone near you, anything they do will disturb you. The toilet was fitted with a pump/macerator that made a horrible load of noise. It was very cheap but even then you'd expect a bit more. Didn't eat so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
newport uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

Dirty, poorly kept, unwelcoming - sharp practice!! Don't go anywhere near.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kjtNewportUk
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

Following a fantastic holiday away we found ourselves stranded in Gatwick due to the snow! Places to stay were extremely limited as the airport had closed and this was the only place we could find – now we know why!! As soon as we arrived in the reception we knew this wasn’t a good place to stay! It was so cold in the house. We were told that we had to turn on the heating once we got to the room - it was like an ice-box in there! Heating was a waste of time and we ended up sleeping in our clothes. The place was filthy – there were cobwebs everywhere and you stuck to the carpet. It was probably a good idea to sleep in our clothes anyway due to the cleanliness of the bed sheets. The bathroom we had to use was the worst I have ever seen – I dread to think what you would catch off the bath mat! The bath panel looked like somebody had chewed at it and was covered in some black stuff Needless to say we could not use the bathroom. The breakfast offered was an awful help- yourself continental – what happened to the good old guest house fry-up!! The cups etc were so dirty that didn’t even sample it. To top it all we were told that we had to pay for the airport transfers – one of which is stated on their leaflet and website is supposed complimentary! We were to be charged as it was an emergency booking and not booked ahead! Talk about taking advantage of the situation. So to sum up, if you want to catch something and have the worst night of your life, I would recommend staying here! By the way, the excellent review below is NOT for THIS guesthouse, but for another one in Horley with a very similar name –go there instead!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

My fault! Quick booking, haven't noticed any rating.... I should have. The place have a Massive potential if the owner could put some money in it. The place haven't seen an update since the 70's. You could see through the extra blanket, dust everywhere, dirty showers, tacky furniture, kettle on the floor, courtesy tray with a bare minimum, TV with 2 chanels only, no heat in the bathroom (broken), mould in the shower, dirty shower head, 10cm of toilet paper remaining on the roll, pathetic decoration, water stain in the breakfast room ceiling, help yourself breakfast (owners not there)...
Just a GOOD choice if you wish to hang yourself or commit suicide ( from the moment you enter you just rush to the final solution)
The worst experience EVER