“EXTREMELY FRIENDLY”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Aude, France
“EXTREMELY FRIENDLY”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently stayed here just for one night and was impressed with the hotel. As the restaurant was closed that night I can't pass judgement on the food apart from breakfast which was very nice.
Very friendly staff and the rooms were of a good standard. I will be back when next in the area

Room Tip: Rooms at the side and back will be quiter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Viddler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Nottingham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with pleasant staff. Unfortunately we were allocated a room which overlooked a roof with no other view present. The room was small and the lighting very poor in the bedroom. However it was excellent lighting in the bathroom. Rather over-priced in our view.

Room Tip: Don't have Room 15.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flint_stones20164
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

just spent friday and saturday at the angel lovely room 5 great breakfast on satuday very good choice on menu for saturday dinner well cooked and presented good value for money .stayed in this area before never had better value would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amanda d
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had a great stay and all staff were amazing. I was checked in promptly and shown to my room. When i came back down i was shown a menu advised on what was 'really good' and given the choice of eating in my room or in the restaurant. The chef even cooked a special late breakfast sandwich to take with me as was there for work and had to leave my room early before breakfast service had started, but came back and my samdwich was cooked fresh and wrapped whilst i was checking out. My only criticism would be that the rooms could be much much brighter.

• Stayed August 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Having been transferred here from the Halfway Bridge Inn and being on honeymoon, my wife and I had expected to receive a certain degree of service and room quality that was sadly lacking. We were in a small room facing a very busy main road with a sash window that banged at the slightest breeze. The bathroom was extremely small and we felt like we had landed in a B&B in Bournemouth. When we received a bill for £150 the next morning we felt royally ripped off and I would definitely suggest staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay there! We were in room 7 where the general tardiness was not helped by what looked t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Porkstore
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Where do I start!!!!. It is very rare that I read a review and think that it is not reflective of the circumstances. We received a phone call from the half way bridge at Lodsworth at 4pm Saturday from a member of the management asking if we had any rooms for Saturday night, at that point I had only 2 rooms left. It was obvious that a mistake had been made and they had overbooked there accommodation. At no point where we told the names of the guests, even more disappointing we had not been informed that the guests were on there honeymoon. When I asked if the halfway bridge were paying for the room I was laughed at, why would we do that.
If I had overbooked the hotel I not only would have found an alterative hotel but would have paid for the guest to stay there at our expense. This was not the case as you had to pay for your room, We are a very different property to the halfway bridge and having only received a call at 4pm we only had 2 rooms left.
I have actually contacted the guest directly to discuss the review and he said that he acted in haste in posting his review "a knee jerk reaction" because of the way he had been treated by the half way bridge.

I believe that the problems here are not in fact with us at the Angel but the manner in which they had been treated elsewhere.
Had you originally decided to book and stay with us I am sure the experience would have been a more positive one.

Kind regards

Richard Macadam
United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Angel is a 400 year-old coaching inn that must be a maintenance nightmare. Yet does it have to be so grubby, grungy and grotty? The building is an architectural shambles - some might prefer to call quirky yet it doesn’t have a lot of character. It just looks musty and tired. You enter by the side from the car park and you face a half-hearted conference area and a desk strewn with stuff. The brown carpets are old and stained. There are dark corners. It’s not welcoming at all. Then you climb up to your room and you just know instinctively that it just won’t do for £145 a night, which is what we paid for Room 9 on a B&B basis.

The lever for the shower came off in our hands, the tea pot was dirty and cracked, the cups pathetically small, the two biscuits could have walked out the door by themselves. There were steps and furniture cunningly designed to make you slip or bump into. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, the sheets crispy clean and the TV worked well. Wifi failed to work for us until the next morning. All the usuals like bathrobes, lotions and potions were present and correct. The management has some of the details right but need to inject some style and money into the business.

Downstairs I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the open kitchen - a total mess of pots, pans, raw chips, breadcrumbs, a half-eaten lunch, cartons of oil on the floor, greasy surfaces. For heaven’s sake Mr Manager and Mr Chef, if your kitchen is open to view it needs to look spotless and organised! This one looked like a transport caff from the 1950s.

Despite this, we risked dinner which was surprisingly good. Nice fishy starters, excellent lamb. At breakfast the next morning we found a measly buffet without any fresh fruit and a menu for cooked items that was so torn and filthy that I felt I should wash my hands before touching any food.

Despite the pleasing manner of the manager, The Angel really wasn’t up to the mark at all and reading through some earlier reviews I realise that we paid far more than many of their guests. To them it might seem fair value. To us it was a bit of a rip-off.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pausanias
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Pausanias

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of the Angel. I am very disappointed and apologise that it appears that we did not come up to scratch on this occassion. I am very sorry that you felt that the hotel felt grubby and grotty. Our carpets are only 4 years old and are cleaned every 4 months, but as i have said in previous reviews they do suffer from something called reverse pile a manafacturing fault which gives the appearance of staining, we have had a long battle with the manafacturer to come to a conclusion but at this stage we are still waiting to hear.

As far as your room is concerned I have addressed your points with my maintenace and housekeeping team to rectify the shower and tea pot. I am sorry you did not enjoy our homemade biscuits made fresh every day, normally our guests are asking us for more as they are so delicious.

We are aware that we do operate an open kitchen and oftern between lunch and dinner the kitchen is cleaned to the high standard that we expect, we have been awarded a rating of 5/5 by the local eho for the last three years running, so can assure we take the cleanliness of our kitchen very seriously.
I am pleased you did enjoy the food so much , we felt a little on edge knowing that you had just spent the last two weeks cruising around the med on an exclusive cruise ship and we were aware of the high standards of cuisine you had enjoyed so much.

I am sorry you did not give me the opportunity to recieve the feedback in person as it was me that loooked after you whilst staying at the hotel, we also leave guest questionnaires in our rooms and sadly that was not filled in either.

Please accept my apologies for the experience you received, we are always working hard as a team to look after our guests and exceed expectation as you can see from all the positive reviews we have also recieved.

regards
Richard Macadam

folkestone England
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent two nights at the Angel Hotel. Although a bit tired the staff were lovely. We had our jack Russell dog with us and found that the hotel was very dog friendly, if I have any comment it would have been nice to have been offered at least a water bowl in the room for the dog. On a very positive note the breakfast was fantastic, good choice full English was huge. Lovely country side for dog walking. All in all a pleasant couple of days away

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!