“5 star Service”

Pliadon Gi Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Trikala B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Definitely the location, the surrounding area, rooms and facilities are the best available in the lovely area of trikala korinthias which is a real beautiful place for winter holidays, near from Athens (150Km less than 2 hours drive).
The Hotel has a main building with its restaurant, spa, a very cozy living room rest area, internet corner, the conference area and a kid’s playground. The rooms are separate chalet type houses build beneath the main building. All areas in the main building have marvelous views. While eating in the restaurant, relaxing next to the fireplace in the rest area, or drinking something at the lounge bar, you will enjoy a great view and a cozy environment. The view of the snow from the spa while dipping in the hot water pool gives you the feeling of Switzerland or Tirol. Spa is very luxurious with a gym, sauna, steam bath and hot water pool all in the same area. There are also spacious locker rooms, showers and lots of smiles from the girls in charge there serving the guests, in the best possible way, their relaxation.
Food in the restaurant is very tasteful, with a good variety, local products and an interesting wine list. Breakfast is also great and I found it really nice that the management didn’t stop to serve people who where late even though buffet closes at 10:30. In general I have to say that the service impressed us a lot (me, my wife and our young kid). As you may have seen in our other reviews, we travel a lot and know how to discern when a hotel is ticking wrong. This hotel seems to have an underplaying and ongoing concern for perfection by its owners, owners which seemed to me very active, caring about everything and giving a positive push to employees to deliver excellence. People are always smiling trying to do the best for the guests. Maria at the reception is great, so gentle and friendly always with a smile. We had a welcome charm gift for the upcoming new year and a small toy for our kid which I found really impressing that the hotel took time to plan and buy small toys for the kids according they gender and to put them in the room the right moment.
Rooms are well equipped, luxurious with fireplaces (which are working fine), an excellent bed and mattress giving 100% sleeping quality. The only concern you might be able to develop, regarding the room, is that windows and balcony doors are quiet small and view from the room is limited, compared from the whole horizon you get from the main building. However rooms are cozy and heating is right, reliable and always on so you will find your room warm despite what time you return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank makis33

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is an all-suite mountain resort with little houses spread around beautiful gardens (romantically lit at night) with a wonderful view at the mountains and the picturesque villages around... True luxury but also according to the environment, excellent service, very good spa (with a view) and beautifully designed common areas! With Xmas decorations now!
We stayed at a private suite, which is the best they have, but we also liked junior suites (their standard accommodation). Since it was a weekday stay they offered a much much lower price (on weekends it's really VERY expensive) with 2 massages included. We enjoyed everything!
Staff was very polite and friendly with us and we didn't have any problem with our pet! Our cat was welcome in the suite, as agreed beforehand!
Late at night we had a sudden power cut and they immediately sent someone to fix it!
We appreciate that!
On arrival they had our fireplace lit waiting for us, they provide tea/coffee facilities in-room (creamer included now!), the room was very warm as we had requested...
Spa is soooo beautiful (floor to ceiling windows to admire the view) but the swimming pool was rather cold. Heated of course, but they should rise the temperature! Sauna and hammam were fine! There is green tea and water for free at the comfortable spa area!
Breakfast was good, but it could be better. I understand they don't want to provide all kinds of coffee for free, but they should offer at least Greek coffee along with the standard French. Freshly squeezed orange juice should be a must at these rates, but unfortunately they have only canned. Cereals, fruits, yogurt, cheeses, bread, cakes, jams, omelete, ham, etc. were of a good quality, but croissants were stale the day we were there and there were no other sweet options (pancakes or sweet pies).
If you can afford it, Pliadon Gi is for sure the best accomodation in Trikala Korinthias (we've visited the area several times even on a day-trip since it's only 2 hours drive from Athens and we checked the other hotels too). Just be careful on arrival: don't turn at the first sign to Kato Trikala (exit A) but use exit C where you will see the resort's signs to guide you easily!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AthanasiaGreece
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a superb resort with breathtaking view. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The breakfast has a wide choice of food. The main area is nicely decorated. The houses are clean, tasteful and luxurious. The restaurant menu doesn't have much choice. There is a playground for children and an area for spa etc. All were very clean and nicely decorated. I am not sure about the value for money because I was on a business trip. There is a big and comfy room at the basement with all the facilities for a 30-40 people meeting, seminar or conference. The things that I liked in this place is the attention to detail, the nice decoration and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Really, we have appreciated this hotel for the quality of the room service, of the furnished rooms abd their space + the kindness of the employees.

Spa is really nice and well done/organized.

I recommend it.

Room Tip: the smallest rooms, as far as I know, are the Junior Suites. Very nice !
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We rented a suite for 4 adults and 2 children at a great price. We stayed 3 nights. What was really great was the accommodating staff and the food. It was one of the hottest weekends in Athens so Trikala Korinthias had a great breeze! There's a swimming pool which unfortunately was not heated, but you had your free botox because of that! :)
Rooms very clean had excellent aesthetic touches. Of course the view was great!
Freshly hand made bread and bio products from the garden was defiantly a plus for small kids! :)

Room Tip: Get the lower level suites, better view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2012

A mountain retreat with large individual chalets, very well equipped and tastefully decorated.
We went in the summer season to escape the heat and had a great time. Still I cannot imagine paying twice of three times the rate we paid for winter rentals!

The spa has great mountain views, which should be even more impressive when there is snow.

Room Tip: The lower you go, the more privacy you have, but the more steps you will climb for the main building...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Theoharis
Reviewed April 5, 2012

What others mention here in their reviews about how wonderful the surrounding area, the actual hotel rooms and the common areas of the hotel are, is true. But as everyone who had his share of traveling and staying in hotels knows, 50% if not more of a hotel experience has to do with personal contact and the feeling of hospitality you should get from the hotel staff and management in order to relax and enjoy your staying.

Superficial unprofessional and unconcerned is how we were treated when my wife under strange circumstances lost her wedding ring during our staying in Pliadon Gi hotel.

We checked in at Pliadon Gi for one night only, to celebrate my wife’s birthday and our 6 months of being married on a very cold very windy evening of January with 15cm of snow and temperatures of -2 degrees Celsius.

During our first check-in we experienced the first in a series of bad quality of service and lack of professionalism cases. A lady who had pre-booked a room in which pets were supposedly allowed (she had an extremely well mannered cocker spaniel with her) was told to leave her pet outside on the porch were they had a dog house despite the fact that she was told otherwise over the phone when booking. Seeing her frustration we stepped in to take her side indicating to the reception employee the extremely bad weather conditions(snow, cold, wind) and the fact that this was supposed to be a pet-friendly hotel. The employee was finally convinced to let the pet in the room.

The events of the next day are as follows:

The rooms and the hotel main areas are situated separately i.e you have to walk outside to go from your room to the reception, spa, breakfast area etc. Due to the snowfall and ice freezing cold ice had formed on all the hotel walkways overnight. I call the reception first thing in the morning and ask them if they intend to clear the ice from the walkways outside of the rooms and they simply say ‘’no we will not’’. (I have a broken leg and arm so I am sensitive with these matters).

After breakfast we head back to the room at around 12:30 and pack our stuff . I see my wife’s wedding ring by the bathroom sink and shout to her: ‘’ don’t forget to put on your wedding ring, it is here by the bathroom sink’’. She replied ‘’ok I will’’. Due to this crosstalk we know exactly were the ring was last seen.

Our plan is to spent some time in the hotel spa and then head back to Athens. So we leave the room in a hurry on 12:55 with all our stuff, first we check out and then we head for the spa for our massage therapy pre-booked for 13:00. After the massage session is over at around 15:00 my wife realizes that she forgot to put on her wedding ring and we immediately inform the reception that we left the wedding ring by the bathroom sink.

They respond that the room was already cleaned and no ring was found. We were also told that since we left the room only 4 persons entered the room: an employee who checks if something was consumed from the mini bar and informs reception and three cleaning ladies. They all said nothing was found. Additionally cameras record the areas outside the rooms 24x7 and no one else entered the room apart from these 4….

When we insisted that the ring was left by the sink in plain view, we were boldly told that it was our word against theirs…

For the next 3-4 super frustrating hours we searched again and again the room from corner to corner, under furniture, in the sink pipeline e.t.c just in case the ring had slipped somehow somewhere but with no result.

Please note that the ring was of ‘’industrial design’’. Heavy, platinum enamelled gold, flat, with a small diamond embedded, ~1.5 cm in radius, 1.5 mm thick and 7mm wide. Not the kind of wedding ring that would easily go unnoticed by the sink or pushed mistakenly in some corner. Especially if it fell on the floor of the bathroom it would make a lot of noise and should be easy to find.

While going back to the room to search with one of the hotel employees, I slipped on the ice fell and hurt my self on the exact walkway they refused to clear from the ice earlier that morning.

All the time I was searching for the ring, my wife was sitting at the hotel lobby sobbing and crying over losing her wedding ring on her birthday.

When after the fruitless search we had to call the police to report the incident, much to our surprise we found out that a man sitting all this time unconcerned at a table almost next to my wife, was in fact the hotel owner. He answered a couple of questions to the police and then left. The only real comfort and interest my wife and I received, came from a couple of British hotel guests that saw my wife sobbing and asked her what was wrong. They were very kind and I really thank them.

By now the time was 20:00, we were exhausted it was dark outside and we could not face the drive back to Athens in those weather conditions so we decided to stay one more night at Pliadon Gi and checked-in again. Next day by luck we found out that we were charged (for the same kind of room), 20euros more than a couple that had checked-in exactly the previous night as well. The hotel’s excuse for this was that the other couple had checked-in the last minute but this was exactly the case for us too… Needless to say that through all this frustrating situation we were not offered even a complimentary coffee.

As we were leaving my impression was that the hotel stuff was relieved to see the ‘’nuisance’’ go.

I have never felt more like a ‘’wallet’’ in my life before.

A couple of days after the incident, my wife received a call from the owner’s wife saying how sorry she was about the whole incident and expressed her concern since they were expecting a VIP to visit them over next weekend….

Comic epilogue

When we finally left Pliadon Gi the second day and due to our frustration, we forgot an i-phone charger in the room we stayed in. The next day my wife called from our home in Athens and let the hotel reception know, she was told that the charger was found and that it will be shipped immediately to us in Athens. After 2-3 weeks of receiving nothing, my wife called again to enquire about the whereabouts of the charger, she was told that it was posted to us weeks ago via ordinary Greek postal service which should be held accountable for the big delay. Exactly the next day, we received the charger via a courier company not the Greek post office. On the package the date indicated it was sent just the day before i.e on the day my wife called for the second time. Of course the shipping was charged to the recipient and we had to pay the courier for the delivery………..

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
57  Thank Gerasimos A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trikala
Mavraganeiko
#3 of 8 in Trikala
Hyades Mountain Resort
Hyades Mountain Resort
#1 of 8 in Trikala

Been to Pliadon Gi Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!