“Excellent value for money”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Lincoln
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Stayed at the Thistle on Bath Road for one night (Friday) prior to a three week trip to Australia.
Chose the Hotel purely on value for money from the internet, mainly for the car parking deal.

We were offered three weeks parking with one night stay for £77 room only, but unbeatable value.

No reception problems, immediate porter service, room absolutely fine, including hot and COLD water.
Car park spacious, with no problems.

We suffered no aircraft noise during our stay, but suspect take off was from the other end of the runway.
Have to admit it was quite noisy when we picked up the car.
Having said that most Hotels on Bath Road will suffer some noise due to the close proximity of the airport.

Overall, would definately use this Hotel again, and it is nowhere near as bad as some reviews make out.

• Liked — convenience for the airport
  • Disliked — No opinion
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Triarius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Indonesian first
inverness
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We didn't pick this hotel, but due to upcoming BA strike our cruise company Royal Caribbean offered to fly us down the night before and put us up in a hotel free of charge.

When we knew the name of the hotel we decided to check out Trip Advisor and were horrified by the reviews. We were expecting the worst and to be staying in a dump!

However, upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised.

The reception area was clean and spacious and the queue cleared quite quickly. Our room was pleasant and clean with a large comforable double bed and all the usual amenities. The bathroom was also clean and complete with yellow rubber ducks! We had a great night's sleep and were not troubled by any noise. Since we had a lunchtime departure we enquired about breakfast but at £14.95 each we decided to give that a miss and headed to "Mcdonalds" across the road which wasn't great but it was only a few pound.

Take it from 2 Scots - overall we thought this hotel was not bad at all, and we would go back if the price was reasonable.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was oK.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Highlandscots
Kent, England
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I always go into most things with an open mind. So putting the other reviews on this site to one side I did the same when visiting earlier this month. Lesson one - take heed and read the reviews, that's what they are there for! Unfortunately as my visit was business related I had no say on where in the Heathrow area I was to stay.
Perhaps in its heyday this hotel (no doubt not under the Thistle flag then) was a contender. However, standards and expectations over the years have changed. Unfortunately the Thistle hasn't. This hotel is in serious need of investment on a big scale. I'm afraid to say it's shabby on the outside, shabby on the inside.
Check-in was a relatively courteous, painless and efficient affair. However, the standard double room was not worth the attached price-tag that I was luckily enough not having to pay. Probably nearer to one of Heathrow's main runways than most the standard of double glazing in my room gave little comfort in the face of attack from the maximum take-off thrust of 747's and alike. The nightime flight curfew at least afforded me a couple of hours sleep. The upstairs bar, again looking terribly dated, gave little sanctuary for relaxation with booming WWF wrestling on widescreen TV! Breakfast was the usual standard over-priced buffet affair. Check-out again coutreous and effficient.
Sorry, but if transiting Heathrow or looking for an overnight stay before business trip or holiday I would not recommend this particular Thistle. Courteous staff do their best to overcome what can only be described as not a very nice hotel.

• Liked — Rubber ducks in the bathroom!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Surprisingly bad for a supposedly renown hotel chain and more than $100 per night. Whole building was permeated with a smell of decay. When I got to my room I discovered that behind one of its walls some machinery was operating loudly - sound similar to an old, disintegrating fridge or air con (avoid room 201). Got my room changed to another, no noise this time but same, worn down furniture from the seventies, same dirty windows, same disgusting smell. Worn down bathroom with a fixed shower and no way of regulating the temperature of the water coming out of it. I went to eat something to the restaurant, which was closing down, then to bar that stayed open. Same thing - dimmed lights hiding worn -down furniture and carpets, failing to hide the smell.

In the morning I took off as fast as I could, glad that I didn't include the breakfast when making my reservation. Will never again stay at any Thistle hotel.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Emin
Bargoed, South Wales, UK
Reviewed February 4, 2007

Booked via Holidayextras.com for a family room for x2 adults and a child. room comrised King size bed and a double bed.
Had a great deal, £60 with parking!!!

Room was very clean and comfortable with usual amenities, TV coffee etc. Room had an annex which was handy for storaging out luggage.

The restaurant had an offer for meals, £15 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine. Meal was excellent and generous portions.
The staff were very friendly toward us and most helpful.

Downside-long corridors meant dragging luggage through several fire doors and no porters to assist!

All in all, I would recommend the hotel. FAMILY FRIENDLY

• Liked — Restaurant and comfort of rooms
  • Disliked — Heavy fire doors made hauling luggage an arduous task!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
Uk
Reviewed January 28, 2007

What can I say about this property other that the fact my advice is NOT to stay here! An hotel like this with 4* rating should be reduced to a bare minimum 2* with immediate effect!

I stayed here for 3 nights (due to work training) and from arrival to departure things were not good.

Check-in consisted of a miserable attendant who decided to go on her break halfway through the check in and "handover" to some other person. By "handing over" I mean throwing paperwork on the desk in front of him and walking off. He apologised and actually was quite nice in giving directions/facts about the hotel.

I proceeded to my room down a mile long corridor which only can be described as something out of a horror movie/1970's Crossroads/brothel which was extremely old/low ceilings/damp/handles missing of doors etc Not a good impression.

I eventually made my way to the room which had worn tatty furniture. The windows were filthy and the whole place was "very very tired". With regard to the bathroom, lets just say I could have brought my pet cat with me, and she would have enjoyed it as there was no room to swing her around!!!!

I noticed a two warning signs that said "Very Hot Water" (more on that later) and "Please keep bathroom door shut as hot steam will set of the smoke alarms" Extractors fans non existant it would seem.

To have a shower I turned on the water and discovered that it was indeed scalding hot and there was no cold......I called reception and she said "Let it run" which I did for fifteen minutes.....and still no cold. I called again and she said it can't be that hot and joked that I would be complaining if it was too cold. Further, I could not change rooms as the hotel was full! I was shocked to be honest, verging on disgusted, but made do.

The bed was comfortable and I had a decent sleep but on the first morning the maids starting coming round at 8am, banging doors etc I had the do not disturb sign up but yet they knocked and asked did I want the room cleaned.....I said yes, but after I leave. For the next hour they were hovering outside my door like the "tormentors in the harry potter movies" banging and making noise and made me uncomfortable...like I shouldn't be in the room or something. God knows how poor people who are trying to get rest after/before a long haul flight can cope with this, not too mention having a shower etc

On checkout the agent simply asked the room number and that was it- dissappearing into the back office...no thank you/goodbye nothing.

Never again at this 2* shack. Never again.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank liquidice
Cardiff
Reviewed January 8, 2007

If you don't want to read this tirade any further, simply take this message - do not stay at this hotel!!!

Okay, so my stay at the Thistle didn't get off to the best of starts, having booked through Priceline only to find that the Thistle had no record of the booking. With hindsight, this was fortunate and I should have recognised this as an omen and slept in my car. My wife would have refused anyway, so we forced the issue and we were offered a room at the price quoted by Priceline. It was 12:30am after all and we'd been travelling for 9 hours.

On approaching the Thistle, you are filled with a sense of foreboding - it has all the charm and attraction of a inter city council estate or scheme. The car park was full, no doubt with vehicles of people flying from the airport, taking advantage of the cheaper parking costs, rather than "guests"!

Forced to park at the back of the hotel, we faced a few hundred yards hike to reception and then another few hundred yards hike to the room. The staff were friendly enough and the booking error was clearly the fault of the Thistle or Priceline. However, the hotel itself was at best unkempt and at worst dilapidated. Carpets were grimy and doors were chipped and battered. Our room was the size and style of one found in an austere residential home for the elderly - the three rubber ducks adorning the bath tub did not detract from the fact that Tom Thumb alone would have comfortably fitted for a soak!

While the rooms are miserable, do not seek solace in the hotel bar, which is about as rough as any I’ve been in. The prices are phenomenal too - £3.60 for a bottle of till water…

An extra feature was the terrifying wake-up call (we had NOT requested) we received at 9:30am when a member of staff entered the room. It was only the fact that I had attached the door chain that prevented this intrusion further.

To add insult to injury, when we checked out in the morning we were informed that we had been given a price exclusive of VAT and so had a further £9 added to our bill.
This hotel is woeful - do not stay here. If you can find no other hotels in the Heathrow area, pitch a tent or sleep in your car. Either way would be preferable to being fleeced at this deplorable dump. Ugly, shoddy, dodgy and pricey!!!

• Liked — Nothing to like about this hotel!
  • Disliked — Hard to say - almost everything was awful
  • Tips/Secrets — Book anywhere else, even the Bates Motel!!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!