Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel London Heathrow(West Drayton)(Great Value!)
$70
Harmondsworth Hall(West Drayton)
$99
Travelocity
2,932 results
All reviewsheathrow podpod serviceplanes landingrunway viewan overnight staycar parkingleave your carsat navdays parkingbar and restaurantflying from heathrowterminaldriverlesshoppatube
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 4, 2006

Be careful when booking at this hotel! The room was fine and the front desk helpful. I was not aware that there is no lift at this hotel and I am partially disabled, so after some scrambling got our room changed to the ground floor, which after a very very long walk we discovered. As I stated the room was fine, clean, except only one towel and facecloth. We decided to eat dinner in the restaurant and were seated immediately. It took quite a bit of time for the waiter to come for our order. We wanted to get drinks but again flagging down a waiter was very difficult. The restaurant was quite empty, but the staff was huddled at the bar talking among themselves. We rounded up a busboy and asked for bread. Finally our dinners arrived and the food was barely edible. My wife's salad and my burger were $15 each and looked as if they were from the child's menu. The fries on my plate were very good, but the burger was overcooked. (Fallout from mad cow disease?) When we attempted to get some sparkling water, it took a long discussion between our server and the bartender to work this out. At an adjoing table a regular customer who had an office nearby said the service was always this bad. It ranged from being ignored to inability to understand the orders. When we asked for our bill we were told that we could not charge the tip to our credit card even though there was the usual line for that. If you stay at this hotel you are a captive audience at this restaurant so be forewarned. Fortunately my wife and I had just completed a wonderful trip to France and walked away from this restaurant laughing and shaking our heads.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bertcam
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We booked this hotel as it was quite cheap for two night stays (one at the beginning of holiday, one at the end) with parking included.

However on arrival, all excited etc, having booked this for over three months, there was no parking places. We pulled up outside of reception to book in, and was told very curtly that someone would be with us to find us a spot. After 5 or 10 mins we weres still waiting so we went back inside to ask for an update, Again very abrubtly we were told there were possibly two spaces at the front, YEAH so off we went, no there wasnt lucky if one could fit in, were told "they were looking wasnt they!", after bout 20 mins of waiting we found a spot someone was leaving, not all that great customer service first day. Hotel room was OK, didnt use the services in the hotel, a really nice local pub within walking distance.

On our return, from a bit of a nightmare flightm we were very tired, just wanted a room for a few hours kip. Checked in got to our room (after lugging two suitcases each up and down stairs), and after being told it was no smoking and a double room, we were dissapointed, two of the smallets single beds you have ever seen squashed up to each other, and the room smelt so much of smoke we couldnt have slept in there. My partner left me in the corridoor with four suitcases to go an change rooms. After 5 mins r so, he returned to say we had changed rooms, and had to wait here for someone to come and help with our luggage as it was in another part of the hotel and we, well I couldnt manage! After 10 mins or so a guy turn up with a little trolley, bless him, he took our four suitcases to our room, it took us 5 mins to walk, and no fault of his own bless him, all we wanted to do was get in bed to sleep but he was about 20 mins, he got a good tip!. After bringing our suitcases into the room, we had no room to move, the room was ridiculously small, with like many have mentioned a office fan, it was so hot, not good after sweating buckets lugging suitcases!

n the end we couldnt be bothered we went to sleep fora few hours, woke up slightly refreshed couldnt wait to get a shower, WANRING SIGN on the shower VERY HOT WATER, didnt think anything of it, after 20 mins (I am not kidding) of trying to sort out the temperature with no look, I got a shower in scalding water, well stood at the other end and splashed myself. Not happy, to then go and brush my teeth in scalding water, NO COLD water whatsoever in the room. I was very peeved at this pint as was my partner. We complained but we were leaving so didnt matter.

Also they advertise 24 hour room service, I wouldnt bother we tried to ring for 40 mins and no one answered the phone.

Would of preferred to have paid the extra and stayed in the MArriott had a much better experience!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Should have read the reviews before I booked this hotel. It was close to the airport and I had a 7am flight, so I thought that it would be easier to stay close by...

When I arrived around 11pm, I was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep so I could wake up at 4am for my flight...because the woman at the front desk told me I had to be at the airport by 4:30am....

Was given a room on the first floor...and then realized there was no elevator...a porter saw me struggling with my suitcase and offered to take it for me when he finished with the guest he was helping...but 5 minutes later, I found my bag still just sitting alone in the hallway - don't know where he went but he left my bag just sitting there...

Then, when I went to turn on the air conditioner in the hot, stuffy room, it wouldn't work. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up...15 minutes later, still no one...
So, I took my big suitcase back downstairs and asked for another room. They acted as if I was somehow too stupid to figure out how to turn on the AC, so back we went to the room, with me dragging my bag (no offer of help from the guy at the desk who was coming to "fix" my air conditioner). Once we got back there, surprise! The AC really was broken, so back we went to the front desk (still no help with the bag) where it took them another 10 minutes to find me a new room, which of course, was back upstairs...

Finally got to the new room and went to bed - but oops! they forgot my wake up call - good thing I set a backup alarm. Not that it mattered, because it turned out that the airport check in doesn't even begin til after 5am, so there was no snese in my being there that early...

Ugh...

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank orimeep
Reviewed September 26, 2006

I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel for a convention. My room was small – it was a twin room, but the two beds are butted together with only a tiny amount of space on the other side of either bed. Only really suitable for good friends. The room was very hot and stuffy. There was an old air conditioning unit near the window, but it wasn’t working and from the look of the accumulated dust and grime on it, it had not been working for years. The solution of the hotel was to put a standard office style fan in the room in it’s place. All this did was circulate already stuffy air, and did nothing to cool the room down.

I also found the hotel’s food to be very hit and miss. The veggie curry on day 1 was fantastic, and so I ordered it again on day 3. This time, there were very few vegetables in it, and instead the chef had put a lot of tinned pineapple chunks in it. Quite frankly this was inedible. Very disappointing. Also be wary of ordering a side order of their chips. £2.50 will give you a bowl of 8 undercooked chips. 8 chips is not really much for £2.50.

On the positive side, the room rate included breakfast buffet, and that was very good, with a decent choice of fruit, cereals, cooked items etc.

So all in all, if attending another convention at this hotel, I would seriously consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank jc76
Reviewed September 7, 2006

I've stayed at the Thistle Heathrow three times in the last few years and just felt I had to comment that the bad experiences some people have experienced aren't universal. All the rooms I've stayed in have been clean and decent with AC that functioned properly. The food at the downsatirs restaurant was quite good and the breakfast buffet is excellent (though both are pricey). The food is certainly better than that at the more expensive Sheraton that's nearby. TheThistle also has a nice, large bar as well with (if you like watching planes) a good view of the runway. The rooms are well soundproofed so the aforementioned runway isn't a problem. The Thistle's staff certainly haven't bowled me over, but they've always been polite and competent. I've always had a car with me and while the parking lot is a bit sprawling and disjointed I've never had a problem finding a space and usually was able to park right out front of the lobby. The primary reason I choose the Thistle was it's location. Not only is it a conveniant airport hotel, but it's an easy walk to Hertz and some of the other car rental company lots which made picking up and dropping cars off very easy. On the downside, the lack of an elevator was a problem when I was travelling with my father who had some difficulty walking, but the next time we made sure we got a room on the ground floor. On one visit a room seemed a bit musty, but that's about it for problems. Undoubtedly there are better hotels around, but for a quick stay, especially a night before your flight I've found the Thistle to be a decent choice.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family