“Do Not Stay Here !!!”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed February 6, 2006

What can i say...just awful.

The rooms need updating (since the hotel was built in the 60's, it hasnt been touched as far as i can see)...the corridors are also in need with hideous carpets, decor and squeeky floorboards.

Good point - room service food was nice

Stay at the sheraton or holiday inn...much better...trust me.

This place is extremely cheap for a reason...!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,773)

Reviewed December 28, 2005

I stayed at the Thistle Heathrow for 1 night on 5 Dec 2005. It was the worst rat hole that I have ever been to in the Heathrow area, yet it's listed as 4* on Thistle's web site.

Upon arrival in Heathrow, I called the hotel to find out how can I take a public bus to the hotel (instead of the rip-off Hotel Hoppa bus). The person at reception was outrightly rude, refused to tell me how to catch a public bus there, asked me why can't I take the Hotel Hoppa bus! I found out how to get there from one of the bus drivers. Even though it is on Bath Road, it is actually in the direction away from where all the other hotels are located, so the normally free bus ride on bus number 111 will not get you there. If I remember correctly now, it's bus number 8 that gets you to outside the hotel.

When I was checking in, I reminded the person at the check-in desk that I needed an iron and ironing board in my room (I stated this on my reservation). It took them about 45 minutes to deliver it to my room!

The room was tiny. The carpet looked old and dirty. The bathroom was tiny, had mold on the ceiling and paint was flaking off the ceiling also. There were 3 yellow bathtub ducks for kids on the side of the bathtub which I found rather odd -- I have never seen it before in any other hotels. As the bathroom was so small and badly designed, you need to close the bathroom door in order to be able to sit on the toilet. There is no central heatig in the room, and the electrical air conditioner didn't work properly -- it was constantly blowing hot and cold air alternatingly.

The hotel restaurant was closed by the time I checked in. As I was hungry, I ordered room service. It took them nearly an hour to deliver the food. When I checked out the next day, I noticed that I was charged GBP 4 for "tray removal" on top of the horrendously expensive food.

Breakfast next morning was overcooked and oily. The restaurant was very badly lit and restaurant's carpet looked as if it has not been cleaned in years.

When I was checking out, the staff at the desk asked me about my stay, I told her that it's the worst rat hole on Bath Road. Her response was indifferent, telling me that others don't think so.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Kenneth T
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I'm amazed to see such poor reviews. I stayed at the Thistle, Heathrow, for one night in April, before my return flight to California. I had stayed at another London hotel for 2 nights and found that to be really cheap and nasty -it was such a relief to be at the Thistle. The staff were very helpful, the room comfortable and very quiet (that's really important to me when I'm staying at a hotel). I had broken my wrist earlier that week and everyone there was very helpful. I had lunch and breakfast at the hotel and found the food to be very good and the service excellent. So, I'm not sure how other people had such a poor experience there - I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!!

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Wlshgal
Reviewed December 17, 2005

Had a one night stay and was very worried due to other reviews. Must admit other reviews were correct this hotel just not very good, rooms a bit shabby and at this time of year the room was freezing cold the heating system was rubbish.Check in and out was slow and parking was tricky just not enough spaces. Also had shower before dinner this also cold, a hotel with not enough hot water, come on............

There are just better airport hotels than this one...

5  Thank millpage17
Reviewed December 14, 2005

If I were not as able-bodied and a problem-solver, I think I'd rate this hotel a 1 = Terrible.

*The initial ride to the hotel and its cost was an omen.

*The wait to get checked-in was excessive considering the staff milling about and the lack of a line/queue of patrons.

*Next, consider the long journey to my room: A labyrinthine trek that resulted in a corridor that reminded me of a never-ending hallway in a movie.

*For better and for worse a young staff is widely employed here.

*The decor is old english and nice, though showing it's age upon close inspection.

*An iron and ironing board are in the room as well as preparations for making your own tea. When the attached ironing board is in use, the hallway is impassable.

*Extra towels were in the wardrobe....they all had a smell (not necessarily bad--but not necessarily a clean scent).

*Windows do not open and there were signs of past mold/mildew in both the window well and on the bathroom ceilings.

*As my first room didn't have heat and then no internet, I was moved to another room. It had heat but the internet still did not work. I accepted that and went on with my meal (which was enjoyable). My ginger ale was 125ml...which is a quarter of ONE can of soda in the USA.

*Getting out of this hotel and the 3 pound HOPPA BUS to the airport were the highlights. Be prepared to handle all of your own luggage.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank derekdc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for a quick overnight before catching an early flight. The reception staff were helpful - I have a broken ankle and they offered us a ground floor room, so that was a good start. Our first impression of the room was good, but on closer inspection - it was pretty tatty and decoration had been botched. The bathroom and shower were fine. Although the room had been booked for double occupancy there was only one bath towel and one hand towel - we had to make do as we had a quick turn around in the morning. There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room - which was a nuisance and I think you should expect them bearing in mind the price.
Check out was very time consuming and we had no extras.
We used the car parking facility too, which is a bit ad hoc and we struggled to find a space. On return to the hotel to collect the car ensure you have your receipt for your hotel reservation ... they didn't believe that we had stayed at the hotel and again this was a laborious process. It was fine for what we wanted (arriving at 9.30 and leaving the following morning at 7) but I wouldn't recommend it for anything longer. It was expensive for what you got.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 2, 2005

Airport hotels are seldom exiting but it should not have to be this sad. It felt more like run down B&B than a four star hotel (yes, I know that the stars means nothing when it comes to how fresh it is, the atmosphere etc). If going to Heathrow chose the Jury's Inn instead - it more or less the same but is a lot nicer.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
Novotel London Heathrow
Novotel London Heathrow
#5 of 12 in West Drayton
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!