“Ehhhh...”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“Ehhhh...”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Friday 12th July to Monday 15th for the same convention as Chloe-Louisee below. We were her friends who wanted to be nearby yet ended up at opposite ends of the hotel. Whilst looking at their room, it seemed nice enough, yet once reaching our room at the other end of the hotel, it showed that their end was clearly the nicer part with theirs being dated as it was. Our room was throughly outdated in comparison, the shower wouldn't turn off so was continuously dripping, the spare pillows in the cupboard had blood stains on them... unimpressed.

The (very loud) air con in the rooms done the job but not in the convention centre. With 300 people in one room, it was horribly stuffy without fully functioning air con. And with it being the hottest day of the year, we kept going to the bar to request water to find it shut. We would then go to the other bar to either find it shut or to be instructed by the rude staff behind the bar to use the WARM water in the jug at the end of the bar (although I'd like to add that there was one very lovely lady behind the bar, just the rest weren't so pleasant) and were very unhelpful with providing cold water (probably because we weren't interested in paying £3.50 for a cup of lemonade like one of my friends did).

I wouldn't stay here again but if you only need to stay here for one night, it's not so bad. As someone who came here for a convention... I'd just recommend using the Premier Inn across the road instead to escape this hotel during the evening.

1 Thank lucygee294
jorgras, General Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review Thistle London Heathrow. I was sorry to learn that you were provided with a bedroom which had not been cleaned properly. There is no excuse for poor cleanliness standards and I have shared your review with the Head Housekeeper and asked him to run through the issues you experienced with the team.

Please let me know directly if you are to be travelling through Heathrow in the future as I would appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Kind Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Indonesian first
Wales
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked the Thistle Heathrow as a stop over with parking at the end of a 10 day holiday in Florida. I booked an early check-in as we knew that we would be arriving at around 10.00am and despite it saying that this was available, it was very difficult to get this arranged with the girl taking the booking having to consult with Management. We arrived at just before 10.00am and as suspected the room was not ready. We waited around 20 minutes for the room which was on the first floor (there are only 2 floors). There was no lift and we had to drag all of our suitcases up the stairs......surely an airport hotel knows that people with be arriving with luggage.

Before getting to the room we had to carefully negotiate a corridor which was being painted and when we did reach the room we were disappointed. The room was quite small and the furniture was pretty old. Only one set of towels had been laid out in the bathroom and we had to search for the others.

We left the children sleeping (they were leaving on another flight later that day) and we went to the foyer area to get a drink. The bar was not open, despite the hotel information saying it would be and we had to ask for it to be opened so that we could get tea/coffee.

It opened after around 30 mins and we managed to get a pot of tea. Before we went to wake the children we ordered food to be ready for 12.20pm in the foyer so that we could eat together before returning the children to the airport. We were called as we reached the room to advise that we could not have some of the items we ordered as the had technical issues and could not prepare some of the food......We were surprised by this as it was fish finger sandwiches, but they were able to make fries and chunky chips! Anyway, due to confusion with the order we ended up with 3 baskets of fries and 4 bowls of chunky chips......you would have thought they would have questioned this.

Later in the evening we tried to order some desserts but were told we could not have these due to ongoing technical difficulties.

The toilet would not flush properly and the air conditioning unit in the room was ridiculously loud.

Overall the hotel was definitely not worth the price paid.

I did send a complaint by e-mail via the main website as we left the hotel at 5am the next morning and have still had no response at all to this.

Room Tip: Book a room on the ground floor if you do not want to drag your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tinamorgan991
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle London Heathrow. I am genuinely sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay with us. Whilst we try hard to accommodate all early check in requests this very much depends on occupancy the night prior to your arrival. Therefore early check in can never be guaranteed as stated in our T&C’s.

Our concierge team are fully aware they are the first point of contact in the hotel and therefore always give a friendly welcome and assistance with luggage; it’s disappointing to hear that this did not happen on this occasion, especially with the luggage you were carrying.

The guest relations manager is currently investigating the concerns you have raised and shall be replying to you directly.

I hope to assure you that this is an isolated incident and hope we can have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from Thursday 11th July to Monday 15th for a convention. Upon arrival there was ample parking, right near the main entrance, a lovely entrance lobby and the check-in staff could not do more to help. I am heavily pregnant and had specifically requested upon booking back in March that my friends would be able to be placed in the next room. They assured me when booking this was fine, they actually placed us at opposite ends of the hotel, myself on the ground floor relatively close to reception and my friends on the upper floor at the other end of the hotel. I expressed i was not happy and they offered to change me to a room near theirs after my first night but with no life access to their room i declined.
Having looked at the photographs of the hotel on the website i was expecting a newly refurbished pleasant airport hotel. Upon arriving at my room however clearly they had missed out our corridor. It was dated, badly decorated, worn and the furniture was visibly faded from years of being in there. Being one to rarely complain i decided to make the best of it anyway and turned on the very noisy air conditioning unit. Light sleepers beware the unit would keep you awake at night if the planes don't but i personally am good at sleeping within loud surroundings so wasn't much of a problem for me. I checked out the bathroom to find a similar worn, dated situation but i will admit that the shower(over bath) was nice. Temperature was regular and water flow was strong. I'd recommend you take your own towels as the hotel's were worn, rough and scratchy.
Bed was comfortable unlike many hotel beds, Extra blankets, pillows etc all in wardrobe. The room had basic tea/coffee facilities, an iron, hairdryer, trouser press and FREE safety deposit box.
On the first night all seemed well considering. It wasn't until the next day the actual problems started to arise.
Some of the hottest days of the year were upon us and the hotel's convention area/conference suite had the poorest air conditioning of the whole hotel. We had to keep trekking over to reception just to cool down as the air con in the conference wing was so inadequate. The hotel had assured us it was on full.. A handheld fan would have helped the room more than the air con for sure it was that bad. The hotel staff at this point decided to close the bar in that wing also. Meaning a further walk up some stairs or over to reception to get a drink. The reception bar also closed mid afternoon meaning people with access problems couldn't actually get to the only open bar. The receptionists actually even refused my request for a glass of tap water and demanded i go upstairs and to the other side of the hotel for a glass of (warm) water. (They refused to provide me with ice). Casual reminder at this point, its the hottest day of the year and i am 7 months pregnant. The staff were rude and unhelpful about drinks services all weekend. Even when you did make the journey up to the one open bar they would be too busy doing what would seem to be nothing at all to serve you until you had stood there for several minutes.

One thing about the hotel i did love (being a bit of an aviation geek) is the terrace overlooking the runway and terminal building. It was nice to sit there on an evening and watch the aircraft.
I personally would not stay here again just because of the terrible lack of service from everyone. But its pretty much what you need and expect if you're looking for a one night stop for the airport. (Do take the free bus from the main road, ignore reception who try to sell you a £4.50 ticket on the bus to the terminal).

3 Thank Chloe-Louisee
jorgras, General Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle London Heathrow Hotel. Firstly let me apologise that you felt our hotel was not up to its usual standards during your stay. This is uncharacteristic and I can assure you that we will be addressing your feedback with the relevant departments.

We do use all customer reviews to constantly improve the hotel product and facilities. It is with observations such as yours that we are able to improve our product and service.

Thank you for your positive feedback about the runway views.

We hope you will continue to use the Thistle brand in the future and give us a chance to welcome you back to our property for you to experience our continuous improvements. Check the thistle website for best available rates.

St Austell
Reviewed July 14, 2013

On the hottest night of the year (32 degrees next day) the air con was so efficient I slept like a baby.
I have a personal hatred of fixed shower heads though.
Staff very helpful and food was average hotel fare but plentiful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments, all rooms that have been soft refurbished have brand new A/C units in the rooms. This is a great benefit to us and noted by all our guests. We aim to have the whole hotel complete by October 2013.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, check directly on the thistle website for best available rates.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were on a London weekend coach holiday and this was our overnight stop. Quite a long walk to our room. Once there it was very nice with everything we needed. The planes were taking off and landing very frequently and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to sleep. However I slept like a baby in the very comfortable bed. I had trouble working the shower next morning so it was very hot, but my husband knew how to work it. Breakfast was all self service and adequate. The planes were taking off and landing on a regular basis again, but to go out in the sunshine on the terrace to watch them was an added bonus. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Faridabad, India
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Thistle Heathrow because our tour operator was probably cutting costs at the expense of its clients. An average property with no bell boys to carry your luggage. The hotel does not have a lift and you can see families with kids struggling with their heavy bags panting up the stairs lugging their luggage. The rooms are small (we were told that real estate was expensive) and the staff non existent. The television was not working and the guy was called. He turned up an hour and a half later. The hotel is surviving on group tours primarily from India and can do much better in terms of service. The saving grace was the breakfast where the waiters served with speed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We aim to always have a porter on duty that can assist with luggage. We are in the design process for a lift installation that will see the 1st floor accessible without using the stairs.

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay due to the quality of you room and can assure you this is something we are constantly trying to improve by means of a refurbishment throughout the hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found our breakfast staff helpful and efficient. We hope to see you again in the future for you to experience our improvements.

Kind regards
Wales
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a much needed rest after long flights from the Far East and found this ideal, being near to the airport although we experienced some difficulty in finding it. Rooms were small but well appointed and comfortable, particularly the beds. Staff were particularly friendly and helpful which is always a bonus for the jet lagged. Parking was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Answer:

We have over 400 car parking spaces at the hotel and offer a variety of packages. The best available rates for 4, 8 and 15 days parking can be seen at www.thistle.com

Thank you for your great comments. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be helpful. We put a lot of effort in to working as a team and ensuring everyone is well trained.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Sofitel London Heathrow
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Hotel
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!