“Fine for a night close to Heathrow”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked this as a place to crash before flying out from Heathrow the next morning. Check-in was efficient and staff friendly and helpful. Easy to get to/from with the "Hotel Hoppa." Room was small, dated with the bare minimum of essentials. Only two towels and no room in the bathroom for any toiletries at all. Window did not open, so very humid after a shower or bath.

Service in pub was atrocious. The staff member allowed us to come in and sit (great place to watch planes land, by the way...) because it didn't open until 5. Strange for an airport bar. But then he neglected us, and even though he knew we were there, waited for us to come up and order. When we wanted to pay for our drinks later, he had disappeared.

On the contrary, service and food in the main restaurant was very good. Despite the fact that staff stood on the far wall and watched us as we ate, food was very good!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,725)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Yes, it's a run of the mill group hotel next to Heathrow...or is it? It's got clean rooms and the staff (now our 4th time of using it), remain swift, efficient and friendly.
It has on site parking that you can buy as a 1 week, fortnight or multiple day package with your room tariff; so no one is going to drive your pride and joy, badly, across half the capital- the spaces are generous too.
It's food looks good and the restaurant is pleasant, but here's the surprise. Exit the hotel and turn left out of the car park and stroll (really, stroll) for five minutes tops; you then reach the White Horse, a real ale serving, half-timbered and thatched country pub- which serves real pub grub at reasonable prices. I know it's hard to believe, being so close to the airport, but it's true!
We wouldn't stay anywhere else if we fly from Heathrow, we set off relaxed and we don't feel like Dick Turpin paid a visit the night before!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wkflymos
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We arrived early evening on New Years Day. Our problems began at checkin when we were told that our offer of dinner included in our booking could not be met as the restaurant that did these meals was closed. We were then told that we could eat in their other restaurant but we would have to pay. I was not happy at all and requested that I see the manager - I was then told that he was not in the hotel until 9 am next day. I said who is in charge then - me i was told by the idiot doing my check in. A heated exchange then happened and I told him he could at least honour our meal in the open restaurant but this arrogant jumped up desk boy was not budging. He told me that I would have to contact my travel agent - I laughed and told that was him as I had booked direct. He continued with his arrogant stance - I got my keys to the room.

The room was okay typical dingy airport hotel. We ate out ion one of the local restaurant pubs in West Drayton which was good.

At check out I was asked if everything was okay - i then asked for the manager and told no he wouldn't speak to me. I told them fine I would be contacting my credit card company to reverse my room payment as they had not honoured my contract. The desk clerk then got the manager - who tried to get aggressive with me in as I told him what i would be doing. I told him in no terms would I ever stay in any Thistle Hotel again as their attitude was shocking. Selling dining packages and then trying to rip people off.

Quite frankly the people who run this hotel are the most horrible hotel staff I have ever encountered.

I took up the problem with my credit card company - who reversed the transaction and credited my account for the whole amount. Weeks later I got an invoice from the hotel asking for the full original amount (which cheekily included the non existent food). I never replied and put the invoice in the bin. I have heard no more. If only they had been a bit more accommodating they would have got paid.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CamCam68
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was disappointed in the hotel.
Had to change rooms as my room smelt of smoke. The second room was better but both rooms looked like they have seen better days. There were marks on the walls including in the bathroom which could have been wiped off & the carpet could have been cleaner.
Dinner was included but it was also disappointing. Breakfast was fine.
The public areas were good especially the Aviation bar with a view of Terminal 5!
Raj, the Food & Beverage Manager was particularly helpful & friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank IslandMichele007
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked a night's stay before flying and a night on the return together with car parking for the duration of the holiday. Parking is on-site and you take your keys with you - I regard this as better than letting your car be parked somewhere you don't know.
Reception staff were helpful and friendly as were the restaurant and bar staff.
The room was small and the decor a little tired but generally OK. My only grouse was that to get to the room you need to carry a heavy bag up two steps - this is OK unless you have mobility problems - a ramp would be a great help.
The bar is a bit expensive but you do get good service and a great view of the runway. WE had breakfast in the restaurant - service was OK and the content of the buffet breakfast good. Again you get a good view of the runway.
I shall be using this hotel next time we fly out of Heathrow.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

quite dated rooms and bathrooms but clean. good bar with a great viewing terrace of the airport. veeeeerrry looooong corridors make sure your cas has wheels. i left my lap top in my room, the hotel found it put it to one side and informed me. i went back 4 hours later and it was waiting for me at reception. its an additional £10 on top of the room rate for parking. bear that in mind when booking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank liam c
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I chose the Thistle because it was slightly cheaper than the hotel opposite. The staff was nice and polite, but the hotel has seen better days. I arrived tired, ready to go up to my room, only to be told that there was not lift, so the porter would carry the case up in about 10 minutes.
As I was eager to go to bed , I took it myself.
The room is rather small and the interior tired. I have to do stretching exercises on the floor . Being THAT close to the carpet was not nice. During its lifetime a lot of hairs appeared to have worked their way into it ...yuck !
The hotel was rather noisy. Not the aeroplanes, but the corridors. A lot of sounds from the rooms next door too.
I am afraid, I won t come again :(
Also, it appeared that the staff purposely didn t tell people that there was indeed a free bus as an alternative to the £ 4.00 Hotel Hopper one. Are they on commission ?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Sofitel London Heathrow
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!