“Old decor but good value for money”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Chaguanas
“Old decor but good value for money”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was in transit and needed to overnight near Heathrow Airport Terminal 3, and I have stayed at another Thistle Hotel before and found it quite nice, so I thought why not this one at Heathrow and moreso at the price.

I had booked online and requested an early check in since I was to arrive circa 9am. My flight was not until the following night so I paid for two nights, iirc 82 Sterling in total.

When I arrived, there were some serious reno works being done to most of the reception area, so much so that there was no place to sit. Thankfully the person at the reception desk processed my booking quickly and I was afforded the early check in at no extra charge. On this note I would remark that the staff were quite polite and never too forward.

Since it was just two nights and all I really needed was to get over the 10+ hours of flying I just did and prepare for the 22+ hours of flying ahead of me, I just wanted to sleep. The room was adequate, with twin beds which fortunately were moveable so I joined them to make one large bed,

The room in which I stayed was at the end of two extremely long corridors...I checked about 90 paces per corridor (one of my paces = roughly 3.5 feet). The decor of the hotel itself seemed pretty old...judging by the wood of the beams and door frames, I would say over 50years old. Although the place was a bit dated, they did try their best to give it a classic appeal, with the colours etc, but I would rather they pull out that carpet and either use hardwood or tile for the floor as the carpet makes it look old and creepy. Whenever I met the intersection between the two long corridors and looked down, I felt as if I were in the hotel from the movie ‘The Shining”, just minus the eerie feeling. lol

But all in all, the hotel was great value for money. I was on a budget and so the additional 10 Sterling to fork out for breakfast was not economical since across the road there was a cafe as well as a McDonalds that I could eat my fill on half of what the hotel would charge. I would also note that their carpark is quite large for those who are driving and may need that info...and its also secured.

The hotel had no mini bar but they did provide a tea/coffee station which I made use of. I would recomend this hotel for the single budget-minded traveller who is just passing time or passing through.

Room Tip: If possible and you don’t like long walks getting to and from your room, ask for a room close to rec...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank trinlimer
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I hope that others reading this will find it helpful. We are undergoing refurbishment works throughout the hotel and hope that you are able to return to us in the future and experience these changes.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle London Heathrow in the future.

Paul Watson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Indonesian first
Wimborne, Dorset, UK
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Unfortunately, my experience at the Thistle Heathrow was not a good one. Room smelt of stale smoke and net curtains were not only grey, but sticky. Took a while to find the bar and after walking past entrance twice, where staff were stood and didn't bother to ask if they could help us, we finally realised you have to walk through the restaurant to get to the bar! Bar service was poor, with 1 glass wine, 1 soft drink and a bag of crisps costing £10. As we walked past the bain maries in the restaurant, they were still filled with cold water and floating food which had obviously been there sometime! I wouldn't return here as I believe there are better value hotels at the airport.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Thistle London Heathrow. I do apologise that you did not have a good experience with us, I can assure you that this is not our usual level of feedback and hope that in the future, should you have the opportunity, you will allow us to restore your faith in the Thistle brand.

Best wishes

North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Some parts of this hotel are 5 star standard while others are dirty & dated. Externally, it looks pretty depressing but the reception area is really nice. The standard of cleaning in rather a dated room was unacceptable. Great view of Terminal 5 & aircraft from a nice breakfast room. Lots of parking and excellent customer service. A bit of a strange mix of awful and excellent! Excellent value!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about Thistle London Heathrow.
I am sorry to hear that you found the cleanliness of the hotel was not up to standard. I can assure you that this is not our normal feedback and I will be addressing your feedback directly with the departments involved.
We are currently in the process of updating many aspects of the hotel, including our public areas and bedrooms and hope that you will return to the hotel to experience these changes.
I am pleased to hear that you found our service to be excellent, this is something we pride ourselves in at Thistle London Heathrow.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Lincoln
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This hotel is not impressive but if you want good value for money for a night at Heathrow then this is recommended. There is a McDonalds a short walk away and there is a great pub not too far away which does great meals. The bar has a great view of Terminal 5 departures to see the jets taking off. It's not the best hotel in the world but it does the job at a great price. I am staying again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mercurial_Man
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your experience at Thistle London Heathrow. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view from our First Edition restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

So much going for it - very, very easy to get to from M25, cheap compared to local competition, great parking, helpful staff. Entrance lobby really nice but deceptive as rest fo hotel isnt quite up to same standard.
Long, long corridors with endless doors like something from a doctor who episode I remember but to be honest, who cares if you are just staying for a night before flying? Rooms a bit small and dingy but the real problem was that room had a slightly damp, grubby smell and was soooooo cold, I didnt sleep a wink! Heating completely broken and would have been better off sleeping in the car! Cant comment on restaurant as didnt use it.
Such a shame because if room had been half decent, the location, parking and staff would have made it really great! But if you are so sleep deprived that you are zombie like the next day, it cant be recommended whatever the price :(

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Firstly please accept my sincere apologies that you found the room to be too cold for you to have a good night’s sleep. This is something we are constantly improving. We do have heaters for the rare occasions that our bedroom heating systems are not working.
I am however pleased to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, including having the opportunity to experience our hospitality, comments of which we are regularly receiving.

Liverpool
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I've been staying in the Thistle Hotel on business trips, and have found it to be good value for money. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel location is very convenient. The rooms are beginning to show their age, but are clean and the beds are comfortable

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow in the near future,

Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Thistle Heathrow on numerous occasions the night before I fly. Up to now I have no complaints whatsoever about the hotel. The check in process is quite fast and the staff have always been pleasant and helpful. I usually arrive at 7.00pm to 8.00pm and check out early so have not used the dining facilities. The value of this review is, therefore, limited.

Rooms are functional but rather tired and in need of renovation. No problems at all regarding cleanliness. Heating is by way of air conditioning units and getting them to work can be a bit hit and miss. Beds are comfortable but pillows are a bit hard for my liking. The duvets are on the thin side but there is an extra blanket in the wardrobe. Rooms have the usual facilities in terms of TV, safe, tea/coffee etc. and are, as I say, functional rather than comfortable.

Noise from planes varies and stops at around 11.00 starting again at 6.00 depending on which runway is in use.

Transit to the terminals is by way of the hotel Hoppa and I have never had to wait long even leaving at 5.30am. Costs £8.00 return trip.

This is not a hotel I would choose to stay at for any longer than one night but it fit’s the bill perfectly if you want a reasonable hotel near T5 with parking whilst you are away. I have several advance bookings there for upcoming trips so I am a satisfied customer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Thistle London Heathrow. As General Manager, I am always pleased to hear that our guests have received a high level of service from the members of our team that they meet. We are making constant improvements throughout the hotel and as a regular guest, I hope that you are able to witness these changes in your upcoming stays with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Sofitel London Heathrow
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!