“OK as an overnight pit stop”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Bath, United Kingdom
“OK as an overnight pit stop”
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Stayed overnight for an early morning departure from Heathrow.

Easy to get to using the Hoppa bus to and from the airport. Staff were OK - not great but not bad either.

Room was clean - freezing cold but soon warmed up when we managed to work out how to switch on the heating (instructions were high up on the wall next to the unit - so not obvious). Very small bathroom but shower was good (some mould on the grouts near the bath...)

This hotel is in dire need of refurbishment but if you want somewhere cheap-ish and convenient for Heathrow this is it. I could not find anywhere else which was cheaper and as close to the terminals.

• Liked — location near the airport
  • Disliked — tired furnishing and decoration
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Indonesian first
Devon
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Dreadful place, impossible to park as car park is used as an airport car park and is TOTALLY under capacity. Room was horrific, with broken fixtures, heating via a strap on aircon unit that made more noise than the airport. Eventually got a convection heater from the reception. Bar service was overpriced and tricky to use, (had to have room card and wallet) and was used for a Xmas party so access was a challenge.
Receptrion was understaffed and the staff were very cold indeed.

Only stayed as had enjoyed the Tower thistle in London and assumed it would be a similar quality. I was wrong.

• Liked — Leaving it behind
  • Disliked — Having no choice but to stay there.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sumoman
England
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Had a very early start for Heathrow on Tuesday of this week, so decided to stop overnight beforehand. Check in was great with staff able to book taxi / give advice on the opening times of the airport and reserve table for dinner (although Heathrow is open allnight the check in does not open until 4.15 - 4.30, so the two to three hour early check in is a bit of a myth at this time of the morning! security does not open until 5 am at all, so be prepared to wait in order to get through - and of course by 5 am the queue is considerable, but having been there since 3.45 on advice of airline (!) we were front of the queue after checking in).

The rooms are smallish but all we wanted was a bed and a shower - so it was fine. the decor is in need of some renervation but it was clean and comfortable. We had a fabulous dinner on site (early so we didn't want to go out - it was also bucketing with rain!). Service was a bit slow but the knowledge of the staff and the quality of the food made up for it.

We had a quite night - no airport noise and were able to sleep until we had to get up at 3.00 am.

The best was that the car was parked at the hotel in their car park for the few days we were away (some of the hotels include car parking in cost but you park elsewhere than the hotel car park) , I felt it was secure and safe. getting the hoppa back to the hotel to collect the car was also easy (H4 from stop 12 outside T2).

I would definitely do this again if I have to fly from Heathrow again (not my airport of choice).

• Liked — conveninece for airport and the car parking on site.
  • Disliked — no lift - but only 2 floors anyway.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
England
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Hmmm, what to say about this hotel? We stayed for one night before flying out to the States. Our room was on the ground floor and at the back of the hotel. It was quiet which was nice but it was quite warm in our room and there was no ventilation. Also, a light was hanging off over the bed. We reported it to hotel staff but nothing was done. Thankfully it didn't fall on our head during the night. They do offer a shuttle to the airport for £2.50 a person and it stops at other hotels on the way. We stayed one more night when we came back from our travels and the room was much nicer. This room was on the 1st floor and was much better than the first room. It had A/C had we needed it. This one faced the road but there wasn't really much road noise. A nice feature was that you could leave your car at the hotel (for a fee) while you were on your travels. Would I stay here again? Sure if I had a room on the 1st floor, or a more up to date room.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2007

The lobby looked fairly nice, but the rest of the hotel did not match. Blocking the front door to my room was a huge pile of dirty laundry. I shoved it over and walked in. The look of the room was not bad, but I wasn't able to breathe, there was no ventilation and it smelled bad. This all could have been taken care of, had the windows not been sealed shut. I began to feel lightheaded and asked to see other rooms, but all the rooms were like this with sealed windows.

After many attempts to switch to a room that I didn't feel ill in, I decided to leave and get another hotel room by the airport. When I told the person at the front desk about it, they were no help at all. They wouldn't refund my credit card either since I booked through Orbitz. They wouldn't even call Orbitz or let me use the phone or internet without paying a fee. By this point I had already lost 2 hours of sightseeeing time on my last day in London.

Luckily, they did tell me about the Holiday Inn near Heathrow and i got a great room there. I hope this review helps someone else avoid wasting valuable time on a bad hotel experience.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank worldtravelgrrl
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2007

This was the third time I have stayed at the Thistle. Having read some of the other reviews I wondered if it had gone downhill since the last time i was here but no it hadn't. The room was quite small but I only wanted a bed overnight after a long flight. It was clean and comfortable. Tea/Coffee in the room. Staff were polite. This is easy to get to from Heathrow. Take the # 75 bus from the central bus station to the stop after the Compass Centre (just before McDonlds). It is free within the perimeter of the airport. Walk forward for about 200 yards on the left hand side.

• Liked — location and in room tea/coffee
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank judithO
Croydon
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I Stayed here for 3 nights whilst on a training course nearby.

Excellent check in and friendly and helpful reception staff.

My first room was a bit disappointing because it smelt a bit damp, but I asked reception if I could have another room, which was agrees straight away, to a less smelly one!!!

The room was a bit small but OK just for me. Some faults in the room though, such as my shower not working properly, I couldn’t move the thermostat so it was just boiling hot. My room was really warm, but the air conditioning unit was so noisy I had to turn it off.

The worst thing about this hotel, is that the walls are so thin that you can hear everything, a lot of people use this hotel prior to early morning flights, so get up at 2am and have a shower, I could hear my neighbor having a shower so clearly that they might as well have been in my bathroom. Was not impressed at all!!

Breakfast was great, very good choice, but the waitress staff were not great, and seemed to forget to offer people coffee or tea.

The best thing about this hotel is the “Oak and Avocado“ restaurant, the food is fantastic, expensive but well worth it. The Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding was the best.. Also the service was great, the waiters were all really good.

All in all, I wasn’t impressed with the hotel, and wouldn't pay myself to stay there. I stayed in the Thistle in Liverpool which was much better (and would go back tomorrow).

Would go back to the restaurant tomorrow, but in no rush to stay in the hotel…

• Liked — The“Oak and Avocado“ restaurant food was fantastic
  • Disliked — Small room, and very noisy
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!