“Comfortable, straightforward hotel - provided what I wanted at reasonable price”

Novotel London Heathrow
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I needed a hotel in London following my arrival on a flight from China, and chose Novotel largely because it was offerring a good deal for a good quality hotel - surprisingly, an airport hotel was offerring better value for money than one further into London. In the event my flight was delayed, so I was grateful for a relatively nearby hotel, and the room was comfortable and provided all the services required. The only negative point is that it is further from the airport than some Heathrow hotels, and furtehr than I realised, so the time taken to reach it on the airport hotel bus was longer than I expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
MLucasLondon, General Manager at Novotel London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Novotel Heathrow. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Michael Lucas

Write a ReviewReviews (2,598)

Reviewed October 11, 2010

We've stayed here several times before, always after driving to the airport the night before a flight out, and needing little, we have found it to be adequate. This time, however, we arrived in the early afternoon on a flight from France, so needed rather more. There were so many problems, we will avoid this hotel in future.

We ordered fish and chips for two in the foyer restaurant. What arrived was one order of fish and chips, and two plates. When we pointed out the error, the server insisted that we had ordered "fish and chips to share". The word "share" had never been mentioned.

The extra pillows in the room had no cases on them. We had to ask one of the housekeepers in the hall for those.

I set up the iron and ironing board to press a shirt. There was no filler jug for putting water in the iron. Luckily it had a little water in it, otherwise I would have had to manhandle the entire board and iron into the bathroom to get to the tap, since the iron was attached to the board (how many people on overnight stays between flights are likely to steal an iron, do you suppose?). Next, I found that the soleplate of the iron was covered with baked-on goo. I called the front desk, and after 20 minutes a new iron and board was delivered. After setting it up and heating the iron, I found that it too had similar sticky goo on it. So I gave up on the ironing.

Earlier in the day, I had checked in online for the next day's flight, and saved our boarding passes as PDF files on a USB stick. The hotel foyer has two iMacs for guest use, only one connected to a printer (have they not heard of networking?). Unlike normal iMacs, these run some crippled Novotel-specific OS, apparently running on Windows (an Aston-Martin with a Lada engine). If this system has the ability to print PDF files, it is certainly very well hidden. The front desk staff were, however, happy print my files on their printer.

The box of Pringles in our minibar had been opened and re-closed. The supplied package of biscuits had been pulverised into crumbs. When we pointed these out to the person who delivered our room service dinner, he told us we would have to tell the front desk about it. Couldn't he have dealt with it?

Between us, my wife and I have three Internet-enabled devices, so we decided to buy the expensive (£14.95 for 24 hrs) wired connection, and plug in our wireless hub. That didn't work, since the connected device has to attempt to access a webpage to activate the service (why, since it has already been activated via the TV interface?). So we called the front desk to remove that service from our bill, and signed up for the £9.95 wireless service instead. However, the wireless service allows only one device to be connected at a time, so it is necessary to disconnect one device and go through the laborious sign-in procedure on another. And this didn't work with the iPad anyway, so it never got connected. The connection, when you eventually get it, is extremely slow. In summary the Novotel internet service is slow, expensive and inconvenient. They should look to other hotels to see how it should be done.

As others have reported, there is little or no ventilation, and the windows don't open, so the room was stuffy and hot.

The front desk staff were helpful, but clearly powerless to do anything except apologise profusely.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PTCanuck

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel London Heathrow. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the various issues that you have raised.

Please fee free to call me on 01895 458710 or email me on michael.lucas@accor.com to discuss this further.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Lovely double room, only £50, 5 minutes from heathrow, friendly staff and the best bit of all a midday check out which is perfect if nursing a bit of a hangover!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

I'm so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Novotel London Heathrow. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Reviewed October 2, 2010

Very nice hotel and great rooms but the location meant connection to anything but the airport was awkward and expensive. Staff are friendly but their computer systems give them no flexibility and assume the customers are not going to pay. For example, reception did not ask me for a pre-swipe of my credit card on check-in so when I went to get a drink at the bar, I was told I could not put the drink on my room and I'd have to pay cash. I had to go back to reception, register my credit card (which they should have anyway because I pre-paid the room) before I could get any meals or drinks. Novotel UK feels like its owned by the French - guilty until proven innocent. Novotel in Holland however had a much better feel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found the rooms great and the staff friendly.

We were in error in that we should have asked you pre-swipe of your credit card upon check in which would have prevented the issues you experienced when ordering food and dirinks. I have discussed the situation with my team in order to avoid such situations in the future.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

This has been our best hotel room we've ever had. Beautiful bathroom. The beds were so comfortable, it was like sleeping on a cloud. And having this room just after a back injury made it that much better

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your positive comments, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel London Heathrow again very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

We chose this hotel as it was one of the cheaper hotels near to Legoland Windsor, and has its own pool. The main hall area inside is very attractive with lots of natural light. The pool is not massive but adequate, albeit rather on the cold side when we tried it out! We ate in the hotel restaurant, a two course meal was a very good £14.95 and a large glass of wine (250 ml) about £5. One minor criticism is that the waiters in the restaurant must have asked us about 7 times if everything was OK, a little excessive!
Our family room was just big enough, and the bathroom very good. Full English breakfast in the morning had the usual good quality selection. Overall, very good and we shall be pleased to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Many thanks for your positive comments, I am happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. My team were obviously over zealous in trying to ensure that you enjoyed your dining experience and I have suggested that they only need to check once or twice during the meal that our guest is happy.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Novotel London Heathrow again in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Stayed here to catch an early morning flight the next day having travelled from Liverpool to take a flight to the USA the next day, room was large enough with separate bathroom and toilet. Beds were comfortable and the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel London Heathrow. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.