“Mediocre (and that's being kind!) accommodation at a high price”

Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We recently spent two nights at the Holiday Inn, Junction 4, Heathrow. The sole purpose of our staying at this particular hotel before flying out of Heathrow was its proximity to The Plough, a quaint old English pub which serves outstanding food! From the Holiday Inn one can easily walk to The Plough in 2 minutes -- very convenient when it's raining.

Upon arrival I was told that the room I had booked (and prepaid) was not available, but the desk clerk offered me a "free upgrade" to another room. I can only say that if the room we were allocated was an upgrade, heaven help anyone staying in the original room! Our room was very small, containing one double bed and a rather grubby-looking sofa bed. The adjoining bathroom was old and in desperate need of some refurbishment. The grout along the bath was black, and the shower curtain stained. The bedroom itself contained an old TV which emitted an ear-piercing shriek once it had warmed up; the only way to combat this problem was to give the top of the TV set a hefty slap to stop the noise. Finally, despite assurances that our room was designated as non-smoking, there was no indication, either on the floor listing beside the lifts or on the door of the room itself, that we had a non-smoking room -- and the furnishings and draperies all carried the distinct whiff of stale cigarette smoke.

Internet access in your room at the Holiday Inn costs GBP6 for 60 minutes (which must be used during one session). If you wish to connect using BT Openzone (using your own account) you must either sit in the Lounge where you are expected to buy a drink at an exorbitant price, or sit in the lobby with a howling gale at your back every time the revolving door opens -- which is most of the time.

We did not eat at the Holiday Inn (we had the good sense to have dinner at The Plough -- advance reservations recommended on weekends), but on our second night we met some guests who were also staying at the hotel who told us that they had dined at the Holiday Inn the previous evening and were outraged by the high prices for very indifferent food.

Upon our departure we waited over half an hour to board a Hotel Hoppa shuttle bus to the airport, due to the numerous private tour buses which blocked the entry to the hotel while loading their passengers. Four Hoppa shuttles waited behind this chaos until they were able to approach the hotel.

Nothwithstanding the convenient location of the Holiday Inn to the pub, we will definitely NOT be returning to this hotel again. We will go back to the Novotel on Cherry Lane; it will be worth the 15-minute walk to the Plough, even in the rain!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2008

We booked the Heathrow M4 Holiday in for one night and 12 days of parking while on holiday, at £169. Unfortunately, the experience was soured by money dripping out of our wallets at every other opportunity. First, my husband went down for a pint of beer and to ask whether we had breakfast included. He was told that breakfast was not included, but cost £10. He drank his beer and signed for £3.80. When we received the bill upon check-out, our breakfasts each cost £15 and the beer cost £4.20. After complaining about the breakfast price being misquoted, and taking a very long time to get resolution with the very unhappy manager, we didn't bother to point out the price difference with the beer. Next, we went to get our tickets for the Hotel Hoppa (not included in the parking deal, and for two of us £16 return; I'm curious how much a taxi would have cost). The machine in the lobby was broken, and the manager told us that we would have to pay in cash. As we didn't have enough cash, we had to use the cashpoint at the hotel for a £2 fee. We were extremely upset to find that there was a functioning HH ticket machine that took credit cards just outside, where the bus pick-up point is. All-in-all, it felt that although we had booked an all-in-one hotel and parking deal, we had to keep paying out extras. The manager we spoke to did not have a "customer is always right" attitude.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2008

got this hotel cheap online and it was really good deal. the room was quiet and comfortable. very close to heathrow. clean and staff friendly. i would totally recommend it if you can get a cheap deal.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2008

As others have reported, this is a decent Holiday Inn. Stayed here one night before flying out of Heathrow on our return to Seattle. Top floor room above the lobby. Large, soundproof windows. Spacious room. Very small closet however. Furnishings seemed fairly new and in good condition. Excellent value through Priceline ($65/night). Parking was £10/day and (as someone else reported) the parking lot was absolutely jam-packed when we arrived back at the hotel that night after seeing a West End show (we drove to West Hounslow tube station and left the car in the car park). Concierge was very clear on directions to the tube station and provided good recommendation for dinner.

As someone else pointed out, bathroom amenities are minimal (basically soap). But for $65, I can provide my own shampoo.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Nice hotel, clean, warm, sound proof, cheap hotel when we booked, tried to book it In November 2007, doubled in price so we booked elsewhere, over, over priced for a 1 night stay, big car park for your trip if your taking one, easy access to Heathrow itself, other than being over priced which Is a rip off, nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Stayed here for one night in Feb 2008, got it thru a Priceline bid of $60. I was a bit concerned about the hotel (both quality and Hoppa Bus service) after reading some nasty reviews here.

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise. I thought the HI is very nice, much better than I had expected. I feel its quality is more of 3.5-4*. (It was rated a 3* on Priceline)

The H1 Hoppa bus takes you to this hotel. It also makes 2 other stops - Crowne Plaza and Novotel. It costs £4 each way.

Check-in was fast even though I was the last person to get off the Hoppa. No mention of PL, and I was given a king room when I asked for it. Room was nice - similar quality to Hilton or Hyatt in the US. It was clean, no musty smell, no stained carpet.

There are several restaurants on premise offereing various cuisines, though I did not dine there. The staff was courteous.

The next morning I took the Hoppa back to Heathrow T1. The first Hoppa runs at 4:30am, followed by 5:10am and then every 10-15 mins thereafter. It stopped at the other 2 hotels after the HI, and then at another terminal before dropping me off at T1. The whole trip took about 30 minutes. I suppose it can possibly take longer during rush hour when there are more passengers and more traffic on the road.

Anyway, a good deal via PL and a decent hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank y2000k
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I booked this hotel with holidayextras.co.uk for one night with 8 days parking. We stayed on Christmas Day 2007 (we flew to LA Boxing Day at 9 am) and paid about £90 or so.

When we first arrived, we had a bit of a nightmare trying to park the car. Do not be fooled, there are CARS EVERYWHERE. In bays, on double yellows, randomly against the hotel building. Eventually we parked on double yellows but apparently this is the done thing so no harm done. When we returned from LA our car had been moved, it was still onsite but it was decidely 'off-road'; stuck on a bank between 2 trees and no easy way out. We ended up going down a curb (crash bang) and all I can say is, thank god it was my boyfriends old car and not my shiny new one! Because i would have been mightly pee-ed off beyond all belief.

Now, the hotel itself was very nice indeed. I was not expecting much due to the mixed reviews, but I have to say I was impressed, and I have stayed in some great hotels in my time. The lobby was great-looking, and the rooms were very tasteful. OUr room was right near an elevator, and I was a little concerned it would keep me awake all night, but I did not hear another guest the entire night.

Despite having had xmas lunch before we left, we drove from West Cornwall so were a little peckish. No service stations were open so we ate a little snack and had a drink or two at the hotel bar. Be under no illusions, it is expensive for what you are getting, but no astromically so, £4.50 ish for a glass of wine, about £7-8 for nachos.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and I would definately stay again next time I fly out of Heathrow... but I will be sure to take the old car with me!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Heathrow Ariel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport

Been to Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4? Share your experiences!