“Average at best & check how close your terminal is!”

Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Average at best & check how close your terminal is!”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I chose this hotel as it included the price to leave my car for 5 days when I went away to New York. Since I was going away with my fiance I thought it would be nice to upgrade to an executive suite, in all honesty I would advise against it, the room is no bigger than a double in most hotels and for the extra £30 I couldn't honestly tell you what the upgrade was. It certainly wasn't the non existent bathrobes that apparently was supposed to be included.
The hotel looks like a classic 60's design from the outside with the reception area tidy and reasonably up to date, the rooms are clean and tidy if not a bit dated, again the executive element is sadly lacking and I would strongly advise that you pre book to get a reasonable room rate as the room rate advertised should you turn up without a booking was extortionate and certainly not worth it.
The hotel had a restaurant and bar, we had a couple of drinks which were typical airport hotel prices but having overheard some other residents realised we were within walking distance of the village of Sipson which had a couple of pubs that did food and 2 indian restaurants (we ate at the first one you come to in the village it was very nice and the cost of couple of pints & starters and mains for 2 was about £45).
If you use the airport shuttle bus which swings by the hotel you will either need to buy the ticket beforehand (from reception or a machine located in the foyer) or buy on the day with the driver (however they only take cash on the bus, so don't make my mistake and turn up with a cash card), the ticket is about £4.50 per person & takes about 30 mins to get to terminal 4 due to distance and other hotel stops.
As the bus driver would not wait for us to go to reception to buy a ticket we got a taxi which cost £20 as the hotel is a good 15/20 mins from terminal 4, so what with the return added £40 to the stay.
If you decide to leave your car they will ask for the key and have the right to move the car to a long stay car park located about 3 miles away (they will bring it back for when you return!), they didn'y move mine but be mindful if your less than happy for a stranger to drive your car.
Finally positives are a double room price with parking is worthwhile but factor in costs to the airport, the service was good if unexceptional. Downsides lack of information about shuttle service (in fairness I didn't ask but since 99% of people are using for that reason surpised the information wasnt offered!), distance to terminal 4 and the fact that they reserve the right to move your car if required.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
bournemouth
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We booked this holiday inn as a stopover before an early flight from Heathrow.
We booked a "mystery hotel" deal with parking and got the room and three days parking for £69. I would say this represents value for money at this place - anyone paying more would be disappointed.
The hotel is fine - its clean, nice size rooms, decent bathrooms, very quiet etc. I can't fault anything there. (but also won't rave about it - its a holiday inn - nothing special)
Staff are also fine - not all english speaking which led to some mix ups - nothing major but enough to stress us out - minor irritations.
(e.g. we were told friday night we would need to pay cash for the airport shuttle bus so paid £2 to withdraw cash in the hotel lobby - only to find out the next morning we could have bought the tickets on card from a machine they have.)
Location wise you're about 20-30mins from heathrow depending on the terminal, and the bus showed up on time both ways, and the parking service was seamless and stress free.
My biggest issue with this holiday inn was the restaurants. They are all extortionately over priced. We didn't get there until 9pm and had to be up at 5am, so we didn't have time to go and find somewhere else to eat. We had a choice of japanese (not fans), pub food, starting from about £15 a burger or £11 a pizza, or a buffet meal priced at £19.95 per head - PLUS DRINKS. We went for the buffet in the end as at least you can see what you're paying for upfront, but it reminded me of a school canteen - sloppy curries, dried out salad, stale slices of bread, over cooked joint of beef and some sort of creamy pork mixture. I then asked for poppadoms as they'd run out, and was given a plate of poppadom crumbs, obviously the last remaining shreds!
Its bad enough to be charged £20 a head for an awful meal, but there is no excuse for dried out cucumber, stale bread and leftovers of sundries.
In the cold light of day the next morning we noticed a small pub nestled besid the hotel. If you do stay here either eat on the way or go and find the pub, unless you have money to waste.
Fine for a stopover, if you can get a deal i'd say go for it. But take a packed lunch!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fionapage
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

As a place to sleep only the hotel is OK. Fairly clean, adequate rooms, and obviously very convenient for people traveling. But service and value for money would drive me to find an alternative, even if it were further away from Heathrow.
For a start, a pet hate of mine...is it really asking too much to expect staff to be able to communicate in English in an English hotel?
Next, why build a hotel with 617 rooms when it can't cater for 617 rooms worth of guests? The night I stayed the hotel was clearly busy, and they couldn't accomodate the guests in the handful of eateries that were available. And when I suggested they serve us in the bar (where there were tables) they said they couldn't because of health and safety (apparently the disco was due to start at 8pm and the lights would be dimmed). Any solution I came up with was greeted by bureaucracy and pig-headed stubborness.
For a hotel that charges up to £200 or so for a room (not to mention the £24 overnight parking when there is nowhere else you can possibly park), this is unforgiveable. If this is the first impression people get of the UK, I'll be surprised if they ever come back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

A good hotel situated next to M4. Ideal if you travel to Heathrow by car. The hotel is clean, quiet and modern. We travelled by the Heathrow express from London and decided to get a taxi. The taxi driver was curt and in a hurry and took us to the wrong Holiday Inn. It would appear this is a common complaint as we were not the first customers this had happened to that evening or in the past. The taxi drivers want the "big fares" into the city and not the local runs. This is the nearest holiday inn and at night when you are tired and just want to get to your hotel it looks the right location. You pay the taxi driver(£10) go in to reception to be told that you are at the wrong hotel and of course the taxi is gone when you come out. It then costs a further £10 to be taekn to the corect hotel. So travellers beware!!
Th eshuttle from the hotel takes about 10-15 minutes and operates on a regular basis.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris H
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

For the purpose of my review bias, for the last 10 years I have stayed approximately 100 nights a year in hotels, this is broken down into (per year) 75 nights within the Intercontinental Group / Holiday Inn group of hotels (this incorporates the Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn & Holiday Inn Express chain), the other 25 nights are split between Best Western, Hilton & privately operated hotels. I stay predominantly in the Holiday Inn group because of 2 main reasons, 1 ) is their loyalty points scheme which up until the end of 2010 was probably the best hotel loyalty scheme in the world, 2 ) the locations/ proximity of their hotels to the jobs that I am working at.
Firstly locating the hotel can be a problem, whilst it can be annoyingly seen from the exit of the M4, it cannot be directly accessed from this roundabout, instead you need to access it off the A408 check the hotel website for driving access details.
I stayed at this hotel for the sole purpose of catching a ridiculously early flight as most guest here also do. The hotel is very close, just a few miles from most of Heathrow’s terminals, it is connected to them via the use of a subcontracted bus shuttle service which is operated by “National Express” the cost of this service is currently an additional £4 for a single ticket or £8 for a return ticket (tickets can be bought from a machine in the hotel lobby or directly from the driver) and runs from the hotel approximately every 20 minutes during flight times at the airport. The reason for this extra charge is mystifying considering that the standard rack rate of £200 to £300 per night depending on your chosen room level, why it isn’t included is just plain stupidity. I am told there is a cheaper public bus route to the hotel but sadly that bus didn’t operate that early for my flight
My advice to save money on accommodation would be to book online in advance or if pushed on the day of need and save easily half of the walk in value. Furthermore if you are choosing to book in advance it may be worth considering purchasing the room rate with a package of parking included e.g. 1-8 days or 8-15 days as otherwise parking is charged at over £12 a night or in some cases £6 an hour.
My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows: On arrival on a Thursday evening at 6.30PM I queued for approximately 12 minutes due to the weight of fellow guests, the check in staff are welcoming, friendly and international. Once at the desk, check-in is simple and easy. The reception area is the typical open plan area next to the main bar area which is modern, bright, tidy and cleanish
The rooms, are exactly what you expect of the Holiday Inn brand (see photos). On check in as a Holiday Inn Priority Club member I was upgraded to an executive room for no additional charge so the room pictured is of this level. The room was clean, tidy but well used. I didn’t use the chargeable WI-FI as it looked exorbitant when compared to my mobile phone tariff. Why WI-FI is not free at all Holiday Inns is clearly a missed marketing opportunity or a cleaver profiteering opportunity depending on your slant.
After 7 dedicated years using the hotel chain I decided enough was enough with hotel food and vowed if possible not to eat in them, having no real other option on this visit, I opted for the spaghetti bolognaise from the bar menu which whilst not actually tasting of anything was warm and wet and satisfied my needs at the time, but I’m sticking to my mantra of not eating in the chain.
On awaking early, the bill was strategically placed under my door for my attention which was quickly settled at Check-out. I left before they started serving the over priced breakfast which was great because the breakfast at “Huxleys” bar inside terminal 5 was much better than I expected to receive here.
In summary I give this hotel a 3/5 for a perfectly adequate airport hotel that just needs, a free airport shuttle, free WI-FI and better food to score 4.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank theresaheadinit
Louisiana
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on a 3rd party, blind, pre-paid booking. The hotel is in the Heathrow airport zone. However, to use the local buses (as opposed to the pricier Hoppa Bus), one has to take a bus (e.g. 111 or 140) from the Heathrow Bus Station to Bath Road, exiting at the Texaco Station, and crossing the street to catch Bus 222. One needs to exit Bus 222 at "the Plough" stop, which is a pub next to the hotel. The first bus is free, the second bus costs between 1.30 to 2.30 pounds, depending upon whether one has an oyster card, or not.

After navigating the bus transfers, we arrived exhausted at the hotel at 10:00 a.m. from our overnight flight, only to be told that check-in was not until 2:00, but for a mere 25 pounds, we could check in early. We declined the opportunity to purchase the right to access our room a few hours early. Accordingly, we were relegated to the hotel's public restroom to freshen up after the flight. Also, although the concierge has a luggage room, apparently, that is only available for guests who have checked in. Since, we had not yet checked in, the concierge could only offer to keep our luggage along the wall behind the desk, which remains accessible by passersby, when the concierge strays from the desk. Fortunately, our luggage was still there that evening, albeit unattended, when we were permitted to check-in that evening.

I'm not sure whether it was our pre-paid rate or not, but the check-in staff remained quite aloof and generally disinterested.

Once we made it to our room, however, we were quite pleased. It was perfectly fine for the four of us. The couch converted to a single bed, plus a pull out trundle bed, which accommodated the children.

For the price paid, I definitely would stay here again. All other things being equal, however, I would opt for a hotel closer to Heathrow.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We arrived late and left early but was great for the airport apart from having to pay for a transfer. The beer is not too over priced but didn't try the food. Our room was large and clean with a good bathroom. We also got a great deal on lastminute.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Novotel London Heathrow
#4 of 12 in West Drayton
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4? Share your experiences!