“honest review holiday inn heathrow ”

Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Peterborough
“honest review holiday inn heathrow ”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel twice on business when travelling from London heathrow t5 and as a stop over hotel it is fine.

Restaurant has a buffet (18 pounds or so) or normal menu. Ham, egg and chips was a little on the mean side for 11 pound and drinks quite pricey. Note they add a 10% service charge to the bill by default...

30 mins of internet access free and then chargeable after that. Convenient hopper bus service to the airport. Staff are friendly.

Note that this hotel is about an hour out of Central London on the tube...

I'd stay again if using London heathrow.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear pvtbackup,

Thank you for your comments about your recent visit. It is nice to know that you found our staff to be friendly and our location convenient. I regret if you found the drinks served to be a bit steep.

Despite this, I hope that when your travels bring you back to the area you choose us again for your lodging needs.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Illogan, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel as it was far better value that hotels in central London for the same price. The hotel is located a couple of mins from a bus stop where you can get a free bus (U3) to heathrow central tube station and get the piccadilly line straight into London, it obviously takes a little while, but after a day's sightseeing and wondering around, we were gald on the sit down. The hotel was clean and the rooms were of a good size. Staff were very polite and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. We would certainly visit this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ashby
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very good hotel close by Heathrow
Ideal for a stopover or early flight
Slick reception with plenty of staff, comfortable & quiet rooms for a large hotel, computers & printers to check in online (why don't every hotel have this?), efficient bar with large screen TV's, fantastic breakfast, airport bus stops outside.
Only problem is lack of parking - the spaces under the hotel don't add up to the number of rooms

Room Tip: Arrive early if you want a car parking space
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I always stay here on business. It's certainly not a 'destination' hotel but serves people who are overnighting well (I couldn't really stay here a week for example). The rooms are always clean the food is generally ok (avoid the Salade Nicoise though..it's scarred me mentally), the gym is really a bit too small but the staff are really friendly, particularly at the bar. Certainly if you need to overnight close to London or the airport, this place won't let you down

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ontario
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A friend told me something interesting about airport hotels; don't look too closely, otherwise you'll start to see cracks. The point being, that if you're staying for one night then you don't really care about the minutiae. I think his comment hit the spot with the Holiday Inn at Heathrow. As others have said be careful as there is more than one Holiday Inn, as proven by a couple that walked into reception while I was waiting and were told they were booked at the other hotel, which was a 25 minute walk away.

Anyway, I digress. The hotel was clean and functional and the service was decent. The room was big enough for me although the A/C unit squeaked all night. This didn't really keep me awake but it was annoying and it brings me back to my point earlier. I reported the noise but the maintenance guy didn't knock on my door until 15 minutes before I was due to leave, exactly as my friend predicted. They probably didn't address the A/C because I checked out and I therefore wouldn't need to use it again. So they appeared to attempt to address my concern but didn't fix anything in the time I was there.

A friend and I dined at the restaurant and the food was acceptable and edible. The price was more expensive than I would like for the quality and quantity of food but I assume that's typical of a place in London and near Heathrow. The breakfast buffet was a welcome sight in the morning; it had a selection of cereals, pastries and there was a chef making pancakes and omelettes. I think I paid 10 pounds on the price of my room although I don't know that I ate enough to really make it worthwhile, although that's just me.

The elevator broke down just after I arrived (hopefully just a coincidence given my two suitcases) but it was fixed by the next morning. The ticket machine for the shuttle bus was also broken and remained that way.

The shuttle to the airport was convenient and ran frequently, though the price of 4.50 per person one way is a bit steep, given the price for the room. The shuttle is 8 per person for a return ticket. It drops off at several terminals and right outside the entrance to terminal 3, which was very handy for me.

I found the bed to be too firm for my body. This is subjective so you can probably ignore this comment. I found it fairly difficult to get comfortable so I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked, but I'm sure the fault was more with my body than the bed.

My room faced the airport on the third floor. I could feel and hear the rumble of aircraft taking off but I don't remember it being an issue while sleeping, although I didn't fall asleep until near midnight.

The bathroom was clean except for a couple of spots of what I think was brown mould between tiles. I think it was cleaner than most I've stayed in. The shower was hot and had good water pressure.

The room was about 95 pounds I think (from memory). I expect this is typical for the area and I booked the room 2 days before I checked in. I'm not sure if it's cheaper if you book earlier. I rarely feel I get value for money in hotels these days and this one is no different. There was nothing that stood out yet there was nothing that offended me. Except the noisy A/C. And the broken elevator, though in all fairness it was fixed before I had to lug my suitcases downstairs.

I used the computer and printer to send emails and print my boarding pass. The computers are very slow, primarily I think because of limited memory and the slow on-board graphics, which struggled with media heavy sites. One of the printers wouldn't print as someone had started a print job that got stuck in the print queue. I had to delete the job from the queue before the printer was usable again. It would be nice if someone could check the availability of the hardware. The next morning one computer failed to startup and wasn't usable and I had to return later as the other one was in use.

I had to give the Holiday Inn Heathrow a 3 rating - unfortunately the next rating up is "Very good" and I don't honestly think it deserves that given that the price seems a little steep. I do think it was clean and the location is obviously appealing to people flying from Heathrow. I wouldn't like the drive to this hotel - some friends dropped me off and the route from the M25 seemed awfully confusing.

So would I stay there again? I would consider it if I was flying to/from Heathrow and if I wasn't renting a car.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JustATraveller07
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear JustATraveller07,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target the problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Castelnaudary, France
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Arrived following a long drive for a one night stay at the Holiday Inn, Sipson Lane, Heathrow after booking a room directly through another Holiday Inn Express we were already staying at. We expected a similar standard establishment at the very least but were rather disappointed in just the first few minutes.

This hotel has seen its best days and is rather tired with a myriad of passageways usually devoid of natural light and decorated in a dull corporate display that is almost monochrome. The one we had just left, although dressed in a similar corporate style, at least had some colour.

Upon checking in, we were informed that it would be an additional £50 on top of the £94 rate to include our 9 month old Maltese Terrier. The £10 rate for pets, which we have found to be the norm in the hotel/B&B industry and was mentioned whilst booking, did not exist. The duty manager was polite but inflexible when challenged. As we booked this hotel due to it being 'pet friendly' (they are few and far between), we had to accept this rate as there was no possibility of locating any alternative hotel at that time of night. Strange to think that the dog 'paid' more for her stay than ours, should one split the cost of our room into two. And she had no bed either! It left me a little annoyed and made me think of how I could get my pooch's £50 worth during her overnight stay here, but common decency directed me to shelve the plans I had begun to mentally create as the domestic staff had done nothing wrong to upset me!

Checking out was almost as disappointing as checking in. The receptionists were not exactly warming and I have received better customer service and attitude from supermarket check out operatives. At least they smile and greet their customers. The girl who dealt with me when leaving made me feel as if I was inconveniencing her. If the car park ticket machine was working in the first place I could have simply placed the room cards into the express check out and saved queuing for that particular experience.

The underground car park is the only place to park in the general area and this costs £12 after five hours but free for the first 30 minutes. It's situated underneath the hotel and one should be careful of the lift as it appears to only reach a part of the hotel with executive bedrooms. There are no signs to inform guests that those with standard rooms should only go to the ground floor and then walk the 100m or so past reception and restaurant to the lift at their side of the building in order to continue the ascent.

The room itself was clean and generally well looked after. There is plenty of shelf space for clothing and an iron compliments the usual tea making facilities. The sound proofing is excellent. Our room overlooked the runway across the road at Heathrow but triple glazing made sure there was no interruption to our sleep. The tv runs off an antiquated Holiday Inn system and has around 14 channels. The choice of radio was rather limited, with only Radios 1, 2 and 3 or Capital FM. There is no speech radio, for example their local 'LBC', currently the UK national commercial radio station of the year was not included, which was unfortunate as early traffic reports for the motorway networks would have been invaluable the morning after the October storm as we were heading for the coast.

If you intend to work online in your room, do be warned that unusually for a current day hotel, they do not provide free wi fi - unless you only want 30 minutes and would accept a speed of 128kb. If you want what they term as 'up to' Maximum Speed Possible Internet Access (open to interpretation), then it's £3.99 for 2 hours or £9.99 for a day. Quite a contrast to the much superior Holiday Inn Express we had recently left, where this was fast, free and was available within any part of the building.

The bathroom was rather tired, not dissimilar to other areas of the hotel, and was fairly clean. Water staining on the grout around the bath/shower and the lack of any recent deep cleaning had allowed lime scale build up on the shower head for example, but also on bathroom floor was hair from the previous occupants that should have been cleaned up as well as soap staining on the shower curtain itself.

The dining room is adjacent a bar area, which was showing football games throughout the evening. The commentary was loud and emotional, but the hotel background music competing via the ceiling speakers throughout the ground floor was also doing its best to entertain those who found the commentary lacking. Barry White won my vote. Surely not everyone wants to see or hear Sky Sports every night.

Food was of a very good standard, with a nice evening alternative of a three course buffet meal for £18.95. Double that and add the cheapest bottle of wine, then you're looking at just under £56 for a good evening meal. However, you are a bit of a captive audience here as there's not much outside in terms of utilising a wider choice. All of the menu is available 24/7 and can be brought to your room for £3.50. Breakfasts are really nice; a good choice of continental and/or cooked and if you don't have this meal as a part of your package, be prepared to pay £16.95 per head. A nice touch is the ever present chef for both meals we took. He was able to offer freshly cut meat in the evening or cook eggs to order in the morning and was very pleasant to his clientele. The staff are also worthy of mention. They were attentive, polite and well turned out and made a very good impression.

The hotel is probably a welcome port in a storm for air travellers whose flights are cancelled or delayed, as we saw with over 140 flights cancelled during our stay and due to a storm, but for those with an informed choice, please choose your hotel near Heathrow wisely. You may often feel a little like a part of a conveyor belt system as opposed to a valued guest. The only thought I had whilst driving away from this place was 'never again'.

Apologies for such a long report - having spare time to type on an overnight cross channel ferry does invite one to ramble. At least the dog is asleep - and free of charge!

Room Tip: Consider another hotel/
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Witney162
Dear Witney162,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Regards,

Jaime W
Mississippi
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel was good for a Heathrow stopover. The room was spacious, the shower was clean and equipped with the basic amenities. Other than that, there isn't much to look forward to, but you get what you paid for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear DearGlobe ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!