“Surprisingly quiet”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly quiet”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for one night before a long haul flight the next morning. Having experienced airport hotels before I wasn't expecting great things, so I was pleasantly surprised by what I got. First of all, it's across the road from the runway, but despite this I hardly heard anything at all. I stayed at an Ibis hotel on the way back, and that was further up the runway beside where planes start their take off. That was noticeably more noisy. The room was a decent size - bigger than the Ibis - and the bed was comfortable.

So, for my stay, it ticked the 2 most important boxes - quiet and comfortable bed.

I didn't try the restaurant so can't comment on the quality, but the prices didn't seem exorbitant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Nothing fancy but functional and efficient. No complaints. The room was fine as was the bed and bedding. Internet speed was good and staff were efficient and pleasant. I would use it again when transiting through Heathrow

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Colin P,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and for staying with us. We strive to provide our guests with an extraordinary experience and we are pleased to have the opportunity to do that for you during your visit with us. We truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and wen look forward to your next visit.

Connie D
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We travelled as a couple and to be honest we were not expecting much. The reception was efficient and friendly. The room was a basic Airpot Hotel room but very clean and the bed was comfortable. We ordered room service as we were shattered. The menu was good, the food did not take long to arrive and was genuinely excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who is flying out of Heathrow or needs accommodation in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jane R
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel for 1 night in transit and this was perfect for travellers who need to be near Heathrow Airport. The hotel is only 20 minutes by bus from Terminals 4 and 5. Our room was across the road from the runway but we were not disturbed by noise at all. The first time I realised we were opposite the airport was when I looked out the window and saw an airplane take off. The staff are polite, professional and willing to help out, we had a late flight and they did allow us to have a later check out. The room itself was quite spacious, comfortable and clean with a nice bathroom. The only negative was they only have 30 minutes of free internet with a very slow connection speed. Their business centre however more than compensates for this and it is fantastic. Definitely a 4 star hotel and once again a nice stay at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was clean, efficient and close to the airport. The staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. Easy to get to from Heathrow airport, just follow the directions on the hotels web page. Our only negative comments would be no night light in bathroom and it is very much needed, and the food. In my opinion the menu was small and the prices were high. Unfortunately there is little alternatives in close proximity. We will be back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here one night on business before my flight back home. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I was too tired to go out by the time I got there, so I ordered room service. The menu was surprisingly extensive, and I was not expecting much - given it was room service from the hotel after all. Surprisingly, the food was very good. It was delivered very promptly, and it was quality worthy of any restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint was at check-in and check-out, and it was somewhat minor. Upon check-in, instead of offering services like WiFi or telling me about the Hopper (the bus that loops around to all the hotels and airport), I had to ask. I was told before I got there that there was a hotel shuttle to the airport. I wasn't told you had to pay for it.

Check-in: I was given the wrong instructions for getting logged in for Wifi (which was 10 GBP for 24 hours). I was told if I pre-paid for breakfast, it would be 14 GBP instead of 17 GBP if I walked-in the next morning (so I chose to do it). Also, when I told the desk clerk that I would require the shuttle to the airport the next day, all he said was that it came around every 20 minutes. I asked him how long it would take to get to the airport and what time I needed to be there to make my flight (I gave him the time of my flight). He seemed unsure and made a guess, that would have had me arrive at least an hour later than I would have planned - I did inform him it was an international flight. I decided to show up much earlier than he recommended - and good thing I did. Read on....The next day, I was too tired to make it to breakfast.

Check-out: So I expected to see a bill before I checked out, or at least to review at the desk before I paid. Instead, I was merely told the amount. When I asked for an itemized receipt, I was told I couldn't get one until I paid. What??? Too tired to argue and trying to make my flight, so I paid it. This was a different clerk than the night clerk. I saw a shuttle outside the hotel when I came down, and when I asked if it was the one I should take, she asked me which terminal I was going to (Terminal 5). Turns out it wasn't the bus for that terminal, so the next one should be along shortly (no more than 20 minutes or so, I would guess, since they supposedly looped every 20 minutes and I did not see the bus for Terminal 5, so it must have already left). She asked me if I had a ticket for the bus. What? It's not complimentary? How do I get a ticket? Apparently, you have to buy it from a machine, which luckily was right in the lobby. It is only 4 GBP, but good thing there was no line and I was not in a rush. The next bus did not arrive for Terminal 5 until 40 minutes from the time I stepped onto the curb outside to wait for it!!! Good thing I decided to not trust the other clerk's recommendation and show up an hour earlier than I had planned. I figured I'd go early and get a little last minute souvenir shopping done since I had no time on that business trip whatsoever. After getting on the bus, it took about another 40 minutes to get to the terminal since we had to stop at all the other hotels, and the driver spent about 15 minutes at one hotel talking to another driver. I don't think that was supposed to happen. I would have been more panicked had I not left very early.

The real complaint I have is that given this was a business trip, I need receipts for everything. I had prepaid for breakfast, and even though I didn't use it, I was charged - as expected. Not a big deal. I expected to see it on my itemized receipt at check-out. Nope. But my card was charged! And the Wifi - well, it was purchased at the same time as the breakfast, but it was not charged to my card. Instead, it was listed on my itemized receipt at check-out (which I later discovered when trying to do my expense report) as "In-house movie" and then in small print "Miscelleneous" - same price as the WiFi. How am I supposed to explain this to accounting? I didn't order a movie, and if I did, it would not be covered (WiFi coverage would). Sounds trivial, but I am really not a complainer, but it just seems unprofessional - especially for a hotel that would expect to see a lot of business travelers! I would have even been okay with that, but when I tried to call, they said to send an e-mail to them about the matter, which I promptly did. I needed a corrected receipt soon so I could file my expense report. It has been a week so far and I have not heard a peep from them, even to acknowledge that they received my email. That is disappointing customer service to say the least.

Believe it or not, the overall room, cleanliness, food, etc. was pretty good. If you don't have to hurry and catch a plane or file an expense report, it is not a bad place! I stayed in the executive suites (which was really just a room with a couch in it) and they had quality magazines (Elle, National Geographic, Where, etc.) delivered to the room, chocolates and cookies and bottled water in the room, and pants press (which was handy) in the closet. The tub is actually a bit dangerous - slippery, high tub walls and the tub is higher than the floor, so be careful stepping in and out when it's wet!!

Room Tip: The executive suites are not terribly expensive, and you get great free water, snacks, and amenities...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Andrea F,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am sincerely sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Janice A
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was like many Holiday Inn Hotels except that the bed wasn't cleaned properly in the room on arrival. I am worried that after this issue in a Holiday Inn and a Crowne Plaza that it might be a chain issue.

Once the bedding was replaced (a free drink was given as an apology) I looked to the room which is of a decent size and I was offered a free upgrade on check-in but I the only problem was that I already booked an executive room so they couldn't. The windows are secondary glazed so there is no noise from outside, the bed (once cleaned) was comfortable and the air-conditioning worked well as in all Holiday Inn hotels.

The buffet on the evening meal was absolutely shocking and the hotel should be embarrassed to offer it. The food wasn't cooked and the staff had no idea what the dishes were or what they contained. We ordered 2 buffet meals but only ended up paying for one due to the quality.

In complete contrast the breakfast was fantastic with a pancake station, good service and a reasonable choice (imagine a Premier Inn Breakfast with pancakes).

There was plenty of parking in the hotel and with the food and cleanliness of the beds perhaps for good reason. The convenience of this hotel aside the bargain price might be the only reason I would revisit after this disappointing stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear LiverpoolSt,

Thank you for your candid review. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!