“A big surprise”

Viceroy
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dunkeswell
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The pretty village of Dunkeswell isn't the first place you'd expect to find an award-winning Indian restaurant, but with the buzz surrounding Viceroy Indian Restaurant at the moment, I decided to head down to see what all the fuss was about.Greeted at the door and whisked straight to an elegantly laid table, what hit me first was the 'sparkle' of Viceroy. Soft lighting and flickering candles were perfectly complemented by contemporary soft furnishings and comfy booth seating, and crispy poppadoms with a selection of yummy dips kept us entertained while we cast our eyes over the menu.Now, it's not easy taking someone who claims a dislike for Indian food to an Indian restaurant, so the challenge was on to test the tastebuds of my companion and open her up to the culinary world she'd been missing. To help with this, we started with the chef's signature starter - crispy mixed vegetables cooked with chat masala sauce, topped with raita and fresh pomegranate.The choice of Bangladeshi specialities on the menu includes classics such as tandoori, balti and biryani, along with dishes that are unique to the Viceroy. Though I wished I could squeeze in more than one, I chose to sample one of Viceroy's special recommendations, the tandoori king prawn makhani. Beautifully garnished to resemble a blooming flower, it is a feast for both the eyes and the tastebuds. My companion, fearful of anything too exotic, feasted upon lightly spiced butter chicken (£8.95) and now has a new-found admiration for Indian cuisine.Many customers take advantage of the chef's 13 or so years of experience and ask for a dish to be created according to their particular preferences. It is this customer care and satisfaction, along with the absolute dedication to detail and presentation that makes the Viceroy so special. With a takeaway delivery service, Sunday eat-as-much-as-you-like buffet and Tuesday gourmet evening to boot, there's every reason to believe the hype; I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A big surprise”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It doesn't look like much, being in a little industrial estate in the tiny Village of Dunkeswell but you should never judge a book by it's cover. Inside it's clear that a lot of care has been put into the restaurant and the staff are really friendly. The food is even better.
I had the Chicken crocodile tears a starter and it was one of the nicest things I've ever had. I followed it with the chicken shashlik which was also wonderful and a very generous portion. The only mistake made was one on our part where we forgot that in the South of England a masala sauce tends to have coconut in it (not so in Leeds where we're from) and neither of us are big fans but the waiter was adamant we shouldn't pay for it in that case (even though it was really our fault).
A great little restaurant and by far the best Indian food we've had in Devon.

• Visited September 2013

Plymouth
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is the first time I have had a meal with friends where the meals do not look all the same. Chicken Crocodile tears is a must to have and I asked for it to be pushed from the one chilli to two chilli's to make it that little bit spicy hot and it was spot on. The service was just right and washed it down with a nice Cobra beer what more could you ask for. All our meals was delicious and will be visiting again when I'm in the area as you will not get a better Indian meal than this place. 5 Stars

• Visited August 2013
“Yet another fantastic meal !”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We often go to the Viceroy quite often when we stay at the Devon and Somerset Gliding Club.
Last nights meal was outstanding, Crocodile tears( with Chicken), Crocodile tears with king prawn,, Weeping Tiger, and Chicken Byryani, staggering !!! Staff very very good, nice surroundings. Love it !

1 Thank Spladdy
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going back soon”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This restaurant has a lovely atmosphere, no bright lights. Food was excellent in fact we will be going back again and again....we might even have a take away. I would recommend this restaurant to family and friends, well worth a vist or two.

• Visited August 2013
“Great food, some of the best Indian cuisine I've actually ever had (and that's quite a lot!)”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We dined here while staying nearby on a getaway break, and decided upon giving this place a go given its reviews on here. It's location is a little quirky but I don't think it's too much of a surprise to the eye as some reviews make out. Inside is a completely different transformation to the outer building surroundings, being modern and very sophisticated.

The service was very warm and welcoming. The menu was very reasonably priced and the choice was vast! Food arrived quickly and I must say, as a curry lover, this place has topped it for me! Just the right portion size (more generous than not) and fantastic taste with stylish presentation. I'll be visiting again!