We arrived after midnight and checking in was fine and found our way to our room. So far, so much Premier Inn.
However, when we put the lights in the room on, and additionally the adjacent switch for the AC we were met by a foul blast of cigarette smoke air which left the room stinking.
We went straight back to the desk but there were no further rooms available, nor did we want to move to another Inn at that time of night as was offered. The manager agreed the smell was awful and could only suggest a previous occupant had been [wrongly] smoking in that room and had the AC on to cover it.
With little choice but to make the most of it we settled down but to a far from acceptable night’s sleep.
The next morning we were asked how things had been [by a different receptionist], explained what had happened and were, without any prompting, offered a full refund under their “Guaranteed Nights Sleep” policy. So, unfortunate though the smoke was at least Premier Inn live up to their promise. So, lower marks than usual for the room – which was otherwise standard Premier Inn fare and quite acceptable, but better marks for customer service and making amends for what had gone wrongMore