“Plane Spotting”

Holiday Inn London - Heathrow Ariel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Hayes
Reviewed March 22, 2013

A landmark 1960s or 70s style building, in the shape of a rotunda. Reception uncluttered and spacious, opening into a restaurant and bar area. Check in staff were friendly and efficient, and check in was quick and easy. My room was labelled as an 'Executive Room' and was clean, comfortable and equipped with a good size flat screen TV. The wi-fi worked fine, and was included in my room rate.

I ate an evening meal and breakfast, both of which were of reasonable quality. The evening meal was perhaps a bit pricey at over £60 for one including a bottle of wine for a well presented but nevertheless diner style meal.

The standout feature for me was that my room commanded a grandstand view of the threshold of runway 27 R. I whiled away a morning watching an unending procession of aircraft lining up and starting their take off run. I think your attitude to this will depend on whether you are a plane spotter or not. Luckily, I am, so I was very happy I tolerate the noise this brought with it. The room was double glazed, but really could do with triple glazing in a position like this.

Room Tip: If you enjoy plane spotting, ask for a room on an upper floor with an airside view. If you value a l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Hotel was clean, well presented, as were the staff. Had a slight issue with the pay movies, it was fixed, for a time, but still not working properly. When I spoke to reception the charge was removed, which is all I was looking for, but then without prompting I was given free car parking. Very impressed with the way the situation was dealt with, couldn't do enough for me. Excellent customer service, high praise from someone who knows good service. Would recommend, though maybe not if you were relying on the movies/internet for entertainment.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

the property looks a bit worn, asked for a room with a view, got a view of a parking lot and the neighboring homes, bed was OK. My biggest complaint was that the bathroom sink appears to have been designed by a sadist. the hot water comes out on one side and the cold the other on the faucet, apparently it doesn't mix at all in the faucet, it's designed to mix on your hands which can be quite hot. If you are cautious, no worries. Just be wary of it is my advice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Heathrow Ariel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Mito B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the bed.

However, We’re sorry about the por plumbing. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 15, 2013

An unexpected request to attend a meeting in Edinburgh at short notice meant I ended up spending a night at the Holiday Inn. HI has never been one of my favourite chains. They should do so much better for their size and reputation. My experience here did not change my point of view.

Watching the new Pope being selected whilst in my very own monastic cell certainly brought the news to life. The single room I had did not have enough room to swing a thurible, and the space was made smaller by the inclusion of a small round table and another chair. Honestly – take them out, it would make the room at least feel a little bigger. We can use the desk, honest.

The room was also very cold. Now, I know that the weather has been unseasonably cold lately, but nothing exceptional. Yet this room had a small, oil-filled electric radiator on wheels so I can only guess that the normal combined air-con and heating system is unable to maintain a comfortable temperature. It’s one more thing to clutter up the room. Here’s a tip – get the heating fixed properly. It should be able to cope with a UK winter – we’re not in Siberia.

And while you’re at it, how about reviewing your internet policy? Here’s a clue – make it FREE in the rooms as well as the lobby. All you’re doing it annoying people and providing yet another reason for them to seek accommodation elsewhere. Thank the Lord for mobile phone tethering.

As I had picked the hotel for it’s vicinity to Heathrow, I expected a little airplane noise, and I wasn’t wrong. If you have to stay here and want a quieter room, I’m guessing that the rooms on the inside of the ring (the building is ring-shaped) might be a little less prone to jet noise, but no promises.

I had to catch an early flight, so it was a quick bit of room service and then bed. The food was OK – delivered in the time quoted and it’s pretty difficult to balls-up a burger, but the bed was something else. Just two pillows, one marked “soft” and one marked “firm” but even together they were unable to make it possible to lie in bed comfortably and watch the TV. As for the duvet, it was insufficient for this cold room. I ended up getting the bath towels and laying them on top of the bed.

At least the hotel provided the requested early-morning call, however, it was superfluous as the cold had already woken me up forty minutes before the 05:00 request. It would have been nice to have a biscuit to go with my morning tea but none were present so I can only guess that more cost-cutting has taken place. How much do you save per room doing this? 20p? How much is the ill-will created costing you? My bill on this occasion was £115.

One last couple of niggles, the bathroom looked like it was last renovated around the time of John-Paul II’s appointment. The freezing bathroom floor really didn’t make performing my ablutions very pleasant, and the fixed shower head made dodging the fist icy blast of water very difficult.

The Pope might forgive you, but I won’t be staying in any of your establishments again unless I absolutely have no other choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside of the ring - there's no view as such to miss and it might be quiet...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank raybancat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Heathrow Ariel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear argonault,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. It is good to read that you found our location to be convenient. However, allow me to apologize for the inconveniences experienced with the room and Internet connection that made your stay less than satisfactory. Your review will be used to consider enhancements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done at a latter time.

Once again, thank you and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn prior to taking a flight to Miami to join a cruise. It was a surprisingly good start to our holiday. The staff at the reception were very friendly and efficient and our room was very good for the price of £85 for the night. We overlooked the airport but I could not hear any noise through the triple glazed windows. Well above the standard of Premier Inns and the like we haves stayed in at other airports etc. We had a good meal in the restaurant and an enjoyable time in the large friendly bar afterwards bantering with American guests over the merits of the football (English) game that was showing on the TVs. All good fun! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone for an overnight stop. We caught a taxi to Terminal 3 in the morning, a reasonable £10 I thought. Altogether a great start to our holiday.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Heathrow Ariel for 2 nights in an executive club room. I chose to stay here as I could walk to my car hire at Avis and hence didn't need to pay for parking at the hotel. You can get bus 423 for free from terminal 5 instead of using the hotel bus that costs money. It gets you there just as quickly but you have to walk a block or so from the bus stop.
The bed was the usual comfortable standard. The bathroom was very clean although probably a few years old now. The windows are pretty sound proof, so you won't have problems sleeping.Breakfast is not generally included with the room but I paid for it in advance on arrival. Breakfast is pretty standard with cooked options, cereal, fruits, tea, coffee, fruit juice. Considering it was one of the cheaper options at Heathrow it is good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stay here pretty regularly whilst transiting throughnLHRmor even visiting clients in the area. Usually I get upgraded but didn't this time, guess you can't win them all, but as I didn't arrive until23:00 it was no big issue. Breakfast was good as usual, and check in and out great, they staff here are good.
Will be back again for the next two weeks and that itself speaks volumes for this hotel. Keep up the good work, you're doing a grand job.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport

Been to Holiday Inn London - Heathrow Ariel? Share your experiences!