“Lovely staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishop Auckland
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Not a fan of Premier inn's because of usually not so friendly welcome when you arrive, and tend to only use them as a last resort, but I must say that the receptionist on my arrival was wonderful, (think she was called Cheryle) very friendly welcome and genuine with it. To be fair though found all staff friendly and helpful was good to see that.

Room was very clean, bed comfortable, bathroom nice and clean, also nice and quiet on a night.

Downside (1) having to pay for wifi connection, cannot understand how other smaller hotels give free internet facilities and a large company like this charge for it. (ok yes you get an initial 30 mins free, but that hardly gets you enough time to deal with your business requirements)

Downside (2) Food, Brewersfayre, got to say I find the food is not nice in these places, the two nights I stopped found the food greasy, overcooked, forgot to bring out my third course on night one (they did give me a free drink as an apology). Night two had mixed grill, blackish type grease on bottom of plate from cooking process, tomatoe was coated in same fat, and steak was almost inedible (took picture)
although ice cream sundae was nice.

Yet breakfast on both mornings was very good.

So big thumbs up for accommodation side, but food side give it a miss.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CharlieFR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The online booking was a bit flaky, as we had to book 2 rooms with an adult in each, and ended up with beds for 7 (instead of 5), but a quick phonecall to reception made sure we had rooms with an adjoining door.

The rooms were a good size and very clean, tidy and comfortable.

Breakfast was excellent value. All 3 of our kids are under 16, so got free breakfast.

Room Tip: Ring reception beforehand if you have any specific concerns or requests. They are very accommodating...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeremy T
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My Wife and I have used this place probably around 6 times over the past years.

This trip, where it was rather cold, and the first day of Snow in 2012 26 October.

The room was very cold on arrival. It took 10 hours with the Heat Pump operating at the highest setting 28 Deg C,to get the room to a temperature of 21 deg! All in all the 'Heater' is rubbish. I used the thermostat on my Tissot watch, sitting on the table in the room for the entire time. Rather accurate BTW.

The hotel used to have electric panel heaters in place, and as a hotel, this should not have to be asked for. Premier Inn needs to think of the customer experience first. I nearly went to Tesco near by to buy a heater.

During the day we left the heater on at 25 Deg C and the 'do not disturb' out during the day so we had a nice room to come back to.

If you are getting food and breakfast don’t bother with the nearby Restaurant breakfast and dinner are not good quality for price. From memory the coffee was flavourless and the staff would not allow us to sit at tables which had been set out and insisted on us using un-prepared tables. Not a good experience when you have an 80yo father and 77 yo mother in tow.

Just down near Sainsbury's there is now a Starbucks with great opening hours, and a KFC as well! better value for money when away and want something quickly. There is an M&S coming soon apparently.

The Staff at this Hotel are great. Premier Inn recruits and trains staff well throughout the country.

Room Tip: Go for a top floor, and to the back of the property if you want pure quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Customer Services and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
Brereton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first experience of a Premier Inn, and I was not expecting much at the price charged. My thoughts were that it would be low-budget, and grim. To my surprise, it was far from either.

The room was immaculately tidy and clean. There was a kettle and complimentary tea and coffee. As I don't drink either, I asked the Receptionist if it was possible to have drinking chocolate instead. She found me some. (She was very friendly and efficient at check-in also.) The bed was very comfortable, and the pillow choice a welcome change.The TV was modern, and varied, but might prove problematic for non-English speakers, as the channels were all in English. I liked the ease of the air conditioning switch to vary the temperature.

The bathroom was modern and scrupulously clean. (Ibis Versailles, please note.) The bathroom was also well equipped. The shower was easily adjustable, and the shower-head provided a great volume of water.

I took out the "Meal Deal," and was amazed at the great value. The evening meal was mainly pub meal standard, but the portion size and quality of cooking was great. Breakfast was absolutely amazing. there was plenty of choice, and the cooked meal was exceptional in quality and also the choice of what you wanted. (Thank-you Tracy.) (I asked the waitress to compliment the chef, and so I got to meet her.) Kids, apparently, eat free at breakfast. Exceptional value.

All-in-all, this was a wonderful experience, and Premier Inn has now become my hotel of choice when staying in the UK.

Room Tip: If you haven't tried Premier Inn, do so. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan_LDSUK
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Lovely hotel and friendly staff. Great bed and pillows and shower.
Only complaint was the noise of the air conditioning.

Evening meal in Brewers Fayre was what you expect of basic pub food, but breakfast was good.

Room Tip: This may have been refurbished - I had a room on the ground floor with flat screen TV, my colleague...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MytripsLincolnshire
Norton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel and would like to sum it up in one word.. brilliant. I have to say the stay was superb, from the greeting on our arrival to the check out procedure. We arrived and a member of the staff called Caroline welcomed us, We got a warm and friendly greeting and a warm and friendly check out. My husband and I are normally poor sleepers and were sceptical of the claim 'a good nights sleep guaranteed' but in fact we had the best nights sleep we have had in years.. how do they do it? We ate at the attached pub, the meals were reasonably priced and of good quality. We are regular visitors to hotels within 50 miles of where we live and this is the best stay by far. I must say that Caroline was very friendly and gave us lots of local information. Well done Premier Inn we will be coming back soon.

Room Tip: I would have thought all rooms are great our room was.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happywandererUpNorth
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel gets five stars because it is what Premier Inns aspire to be- neat, clean, well ordered, the young staff in the hotel and restaurant were well mannered, friendly and efficient and the food in the restaurant was acceptable.

It is by the motorway in an industrial estate. I guess whether this is a highly convenient or terrible location depends on your priorities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m

Been to Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel? Share your experiences!