“Great food but watch your staff”
Review of The Barking Frog - CLOSED

The Barking Frog
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A coverted sandstone bank with high ceilings and a warm Mediterranean feel , the restaurant offers tastes from all around the world ,brought to you by a first class waiting team cooked by experienced chefs.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The food was fabulous but we were seated so we good see into the kitchen, nothing appealing about watching plates being scraped into the bin! And should the male staff really be using the ladies toilets??

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had arranged to take a friend of mine out to lunch in Southport and did some research on tripadvisor to see where would be the best value for money. She is not from Southport and so I wanted to take her somewhere that would impress. I was looking for a quiet restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and fresh food with a varied menu. The Barking Frog provided all of this. When we arrived we were immediately seen to by staff who sat us away from other customers, who were also equally spaced. I found the restaurant to be very clean and service was prompt and professional. In total we had 2 starters, 3 sides and 2 desserts which came to £25.00. Their set menu was full of different choices for an extremely reasonable price. My only criticism would be that there was a slight mix up with our order but this was only due to a miscommunication... and let's face it, these sometimes happen. The food was hot, fresh and well presented, the waiting time was short, and I most definitely recommend The Tadpole for dessert! Would go here again.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Barking Frog has quickly gained a formidable reputation and is usually pretty full so booking in advance is recommended. Our latest visit was on Mothers' Day for evening dinner and every table was occupied.

Despite the popularity the restaurant has resisted the temptation to use smaller tables and to squash more customers into the existing space. We have never felt, whenever we have visited and wherever we have sat, that we were uncomfortably close to our fellow guests. We were quickly seated and presented with the standard menu plus a specials menu, and the wine list and were asked if we wanted drinks whilst we made our choices, which we did.

I was the only one choosing from the specials and decided to have the Sea Bass. My son had the Three Roasts (beef, lamb and pork) whilst my wife and mother-in-law both had the salmon. We also had starters. To go with this we had a very nice Viognier, which was one of the more pricey wines on the menu but then, this was a special occasion.

The food was tasty, well prepared and presented and more than adequate in quantity. Vegetables did come with each dish but there was also a separate sharing dish of carrot and swede mash, broccoli and cauliflower cheese.

With desserts as well, the whole meal for the four of us came to £116. Service throughout was very good: attentive but not intrusive, just as I like it.

It was good to see that the restaurant has maintained its excellent reputation. We will most certainly return on another occasion when we are in town.

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This is the usual restaurant of choice for my family for special occasions because the food is always great.

Our last visit was for my mum's birthday. They do a special offer if you let them know it's someone's birthday.

Food was lovely as ever, with generous portion sizes. We all had a starter and a main and we also shared desserts despite being stuffed because they were just too tempting!

Can't recommend this place enough!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

the owner is very helpful and wants all of his customers to have an enjoyable meal. Lovely food, lovely setting. Great for family occasions such as parties and christenings. The owner is very helpful and we visit the restaurant frequently. Great wine list.
The Abram Family Southport