“Decent hotel”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here for one night with a group of friends and paid £40 per person for bed and breakfast. The room was pretty nice. No bath, just a big shower, but that suited me fine. The toilet cistern was leaking when the toilet was flushed, but i reported this, so i am sure the staff were probably just unaware. Nice lounge area and the breakfast was good too. Very hot! Which is always a good thing. I would stay here again

Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
England
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The rooms are only 40 quid a night for bed and breakfast, not sure what some people expect. I have paid far more than this for supposedly better but it wasn't. Staff were very attentive and helpful and friendly and I did have a bit of a tv issue which was rectified straight away. Lovely outside area, parking and bar and so close to all the amenities. The rooms were clean and comfy - seriously how long do you stay in your room? Thank you Dukes Folly for a lovely weekend at the Southport Flower Show.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evelyn1234
Sevenoaks united kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have just spent 4 nights at the Dukesfolly on our Malta reunion. This is my fourth stay there and all have been a really good experience, have recommended it to friends and again they have all been happy with their stays. Although the building itself is a bit tired and in need of a bit of TLC the hospitality more than makes up for this. Very tasty breakfast, fresh, well cooked, well presented, good choice and plentiful. I was sad to see that John had sold up since our last visit but pleased to know he is still working there the new owners were very friendly and very ready to help out with anything we needed, they bent over backwards to locate a restaurant we were trying to find, even getting a copy of a map from the I telnet for us to follow. We had a brilliant stay and definitely hope to return soon.
The new owners have lots of plans for improvement and lots of new ideas, including possibly a lift and a restaurant. Great position for Lord Street a d lovely big conservatory to enjoy breakfast in. I suggest you give it a try.

Room Tip: They have theme rooms which although a little more expensive are fun.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

six of us have just had a great time at this hotel although its a little tired the new owner is refurbishing it but we still had a wonderful time breakfast was really good and fresh the staff very good we will all gladly stay here again nice to be just off lord st but close enough to walk anywhere to all the staff thank you allan and liz from stoke on trent

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My partner and i have just spent 2 days at the Dukes Folly Hotel and had a really good time the hotel had recently been taken over by Agnes and she was one of the most friendly people we have met.The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was 1st class we will definitely be going back sometime soon good luck to Agnes and her staff who work very hard to give you an enjoyable stay from James and Michelle

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, England
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Arrived and checked in, but the invoice book was missing, so I could only have the receipt from the card machine to prove I'd paid.
Stairs up, stairs down, just to get to my room.

In the room: nice view of the roof and the back wall of the care home next door.
No door on the toilet room, so you have to make sure the curtains are closed at night. I am used to a light bedroom at home, so this was unideal. The shower was hot.... Then cold... But the dial to adjust the temp was stuck.
The room the toilet and shower is in is very small, and anyone bigger than me (80kg) will struggle to get it. I struggled.

I'm currently watching a blank screen on the tv because it keeps dropping the signal. Half the time it won't even let you change channels!

Tea & coffee facilities: my advice is go to a cafe. The kettle is full of limescale, the lid is full of what look like knife marks and the water that you eventually put in your cup tastes disgusting.

The bed was ok, but the pillows too thin. Woke up with a sore neck.

In the corridor, there is a fire exit. This has been blocked by an iron and an ironing board since yesterday and if the hotel was full of smoke, you wouldn't know it was there.

I noticed a library full of books, I'm presuming you can read them and they're not there for show.

Breakfast was tasty, though I've never seen sausages that thin before.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Travelling on business I decided to pick a hotel rather than the usual chains and pricing for B & B was fine. Has own car park, and in good location to walk to restaurants. Reception can give details of restaurants and book reservation for you.I had large double bed for single occupancy but no chair or desk. Hotel has free wifi which is also a bonus. On the day I was staying I was last down for breakfast, the room full with senior citizens except for one other businessman. Despite full tables my waitress quickly served me and it was an enjoyable breakfast.

Room Tip: My room was number 18 and the view was a fire escape - ask what view your room will have when bookin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business