“christmas high tea - don't bother!!”

Alexandra & Victoria
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“christmas high tea - don't bother!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Christmas afternoon tea at this place is very very average and how disappointed we were today. Groupon voucher £19 for 2 people, advertised as discounted from £38. I would guess what we had was worth about £2.50 nevermind £38!!!!. Misled by Groupon's description giving ”impression of a smart seaside Hotel” and misled by the description of the high tea. Shame on you. The hotel looks very tired, and shabby – the seating area was tiny, the toilet- there was only ONE ladies loo. Food served in a cafe layout, right next to the open kitchen area, no tablecloths, paper serviettes and a tile floor.

The food was basic, one cucumber triangle, one ham, one grated cheese. One choc cake portion each and a dried up scone each, with jam and cream, and the most DISGUSTING glass of mulled wine, sorry a HALF glass actually. I didn't complain as we ate all the food but left the wine. The staff were very pleasant and kind, but the food was awful. Groupon built it up and the deflated reality was terrible

3 Thank gilliandrea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Liverpool
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I bought what I thought were 2 vouchers from a national deal for dinner bed and breakfast here in January. It must have been a popular deal, however I emailed them as soon as the booking opened and provided my desired dates and voucher numbers, asking them to confirm. I tried to call on several occasions following, but it was either busy or rang out. I managed to get through today after 4 days with no reply email. I was told, "Oh yes, someone has opened your email 4 days ago, but done nothing with it, or replied to you - Sorry" I asked if it would have been acted on would I have had my booking. "Yes, Sorry" was the reply. Well of course we could not stay here, but if the administrative procedures have anything to go by, I wouldn't want to anyway - Disgraceful customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Southport hotels

Flintshire
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from a night's break with my friend. We had a lovely stay in this friendly hotel. Room was a good size with the added bonus of a small kitchen in a cupboard, very impressed. The shower room was small but adequate and the bed was large and VERY comfortable. Lovely feather quilt too. The manager was extremely helpful and friendly and the girl on reception really welcoming. The highlight of our visit was the food. My friend had the pate which she said was the best she had ever tasted. The steaks were to die for so tender and tasty.Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again.

Merseyside,U.K.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I decided to treat a friend when I found a £19 groupon for £50 Christmas high tea. I was shocked at the small amount of food brought out, but then I was told that it was a basic afternoon tea not the luxury high tea, and it was for the next table. Then they brought out the "luxury" offering and I thought they were having a laugh. It was less than the basic. Three sandwiches (six slices of bread) between the two of of us. The bread had the crusts cut off so the size was minute. Inside two of them was one slice of wafer thin ham, and in the other cucumber - nothing else just cucumber. There were two cheap scones, and two dry madeleine type cakes (no jam or cream in them) and two pats of butter. I would have felt ripped off if I had been charged £10 for this. I was told that the chef did not want to do a full christmas high tea, even though we had in effect paid for one. Then to add insult to injury they charged £10 for two cheap bitter glasses of wine. I went to complain and 1 member of staff denied she worked there and the so-called manager acted very bizzarely when I approached him, claiming he had been hit on the head. I felt like I was in Fawlty Towers. Then when I went to pay the extortionate wine bill, I was told they did not take debit or credit cards as the receipts were showing the name of Amerisuites and not their name. They are a hotel and restaurant and they tell people after the fact that they do not take cards. All in all this was a weird, embarrassing and unpleasant experience

2 Thank promobull99
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment, followed by a deep clean. The management would benefit from some customer relations training. The photo's on the hotels web site and on a well known deal site are not a true reflection. Would not recommend at any price !!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay at The Alexandra and Victoria hotel, The room was comfortable and could do with a bit of an upgrade. The food however was excellent and was great value for the money we paid. We went with a KGB deals voucher which entitled us to bed, breakfast and a main course for evening meal, which we upgraded to a 3 course meal for an extra £10 per head, which was well worth it, it even included a bottle of house wine. Nice friendly staff and a totaly laid back place. Will deffo go again !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester-UK
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a one night deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast. The staff were very friendly and the food was exceptional but there were a couple of small things which let the place down a little.

The carpet in the hallways and on the landings would benefit from clean and the room that we had was very tired. The bed linen is a good quality and very clean and fresh but the bed itself would benefit from a replacement base or at least covering with a valance. The room was a miss match of styles and had very little space to put any clothes. There was a small shelf with a rail under it but only one hanger. There was a huge cupboard in one corner which contained a small kitchenette with microwave, fridge, sink and hob. I would have preferred a decent wardrobe and drawers. It would be crazy to cook yourself in a room so small. Also, it would be such a shame to stay here and not eat in the restaurant.

The shower in the shower room would benefit from the use of some bleach when being cleaned. We did not feel comfortable using it. Also, there was no heating in the bathroom, the shelf over the sink was hanging on for dear life and the toilet would barely flush.

The staff were credibly friendly and accommodating. The food was exceptional for a hotel. I travel on business often and I can say that this was probably the best hotel food I have ever had. The dinner and breakfast were both very good quality and faultless. The room was comfortably clean and the towel and linens were a good quality.

Would I return again? I would go back to eat there but would not stay there again. I think with a little more work on the rooms and communal areas this could be a very good place to stay and eat in Southport. At the moment there are a few things that need to be addressed in order for this place to meet its full potential.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends