“Scarey Scarisbrick”

Scarisbrick Hotel Southport
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Southport
“Scarey Scarisbrick”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have stayed at the Scarisbrick Hotel half a dozen times before, but I think this time is probably my last time. A couple of people in the bar summed it up in saying; that "it is not what it was".

Its an old hotel and prices on late booking sites are good value. The hotel still has bags of character and charm, but the staff are really letting the place down.

We arrived at four and found the car park full so had to park on yellow lines and nip in before check- in, to find out where we could park. We had to wait for the staff to finish their conversation before they told us we would have to park some 15 minutes walk away on the street or find a pay and display. We went to check in again and had to wait until they were ready to acknowledge us once more. They quickly took payment while carrying on talking which resulted them checking us in at room only rate instead of bed and breakfast. We got no information from the reception and not even a smile. We found out in the morning about the breakfast when we had to argue the toss with the dinning room who wanted me to go back to the room to get my booking confirmation, this after we had waited ten minutes in a queue outside the dinning room to get to the front.

I asked reception about an iron at reception and the girl said we will send one up to the room shortly. I knew she was keen to get back to her conversation and I commented to my partner, "forget the iron she wont remember in two minutes". -I was right no iron came. On checkout we found that the rooms have an iron in the wardrobe.

It irritated me that the hotel did not even accept the breakfast problems were down to their administrative incompetence and tried to blame the agent Booking.Com who we have used many times with out any issues. Breakfast was very average, but they ran out of eggs and toast and the water for coffee was cold probably because the hotel was busy and the breakfast room was understaffed.

The room was large, but the beds were rickety and the bed linen cheap and plain. The TV was old and the tea and coffee were budget quality. In the bathroom there were uncovered wires on the radiators and there were drill holes all over the walls and tiles which had been plugged with screws? The heating system was noisy and kept us awake all night. The lounge bar was good and the bar man cheerful, good humoured and professional. Maloney's was a good bar 10 years ago, but it no longer has any atmosphere and the staff seem unhappy in their work.

Its a fair price and the age of the place is not important customer service is always my main criteria and good manners are free. No excuses and some of the staff in my opinion need to go back to basics.

Room Tip: Wetherspoons for breakfast
4 Thank rc5555

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We booked this hotel based on it's location and the fact it has a pool and hot tub facility.
Booking it through booking.com not only did we pay for breakfast then get there and be told it says room only(they did change this!) But nothing was said about paying extra for pool etc... The website states its there for guests to use ( but only if you want to pay more ! ) I refused to pay for it the manager said he'd allow us to use it....Oh but the lift isn't working will you manage the whole flight of stairs ( I am in a wheelchair ! ) So determined to get to the pool i did the flight of stairs on my bum, husband carried my chair down, to be told once i get there my chair won't get onto poolside it's not accessible atall for wheelchairs, and there are a ton more steps to go up.....and down......and up again before you reach the side of the pool that has no disabled changing area. So i wasn't able to use it atall.
We decided to go into the bar.......... again there were steps and no disabled access .... and no disabled toilet facilities. Our bedroom wasn't accessible beyond the door in my wheelchair (standard sized chair) which wasn't a huge issue. Unlike the bed. No mattress protector, Springs that were sticking through so much they were actually visible so you can guess how uncomfortable they were !! We spent most of the night both nights being kept awake by the fact the bed was so uncomfortable and the noise from the bars downstairs , now i expected some noise, i didn't expect it until 4am !!! When the cleaner came to service the room she said no wonder you were struggling to sleep it's a single quilt inside that cover !!! No wonder we were freezing !! Thankfully she was lovely and gave us a second duvet to sleep on top of to cushion the springs a little but didn't make it much better tbh !! The sign in the bathroom telling us to run the tap for 10 minutes to allow hot water through pretty much summed up that !!! nothing like wasting water hey!! Almost as off putting as the sign at reception asking guests to sanitise hands because there may be virus's in the locality ?! Oh and a window that the lock has been broken off and is now badly held closed with two sliding locks letting a ridiculous draft in !! I realise the building was built before the law states that accessibility was raised however you would think that simple measures would be made to be open about the fact it is ridiculously inaccessible for wheelchair users on the website and booking websites to avoid people booking and then having their time ruined by being so limited.

1 Thank Wheelybusymum

Travelers are raving about these Southport hotels

Llanberis, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Having read previous reviews about this hotel after booking, we were a bit wary, to say the least. When we arrived, there were workmen and dust everywhere in the reception, so it didn't look good to begin with. However, when we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised. It was a big spacious room, might be a little tired looking, and in need of a little tlc, but it was very clean and warm. The bathroom was o.k., the tile grouting could do with a good scrub, but otherwise it was fine, plenty of nice clean, white fluffy towels, which were changed after 1 night's stay. We didn't hear any noise during the night, maybe because we were on the 3rd floor, overlooking the car park. The stair area was beautiful, full of character. Breakfast was brilliant, one of the nicest we've had in a long time, the dining room very pleasant, although it was very busy on the Saturday morning, everyone arrived at the same time,so we had to sit in the bar area to eat, this was no problem for us. The staff were very helpful and polite. The location of this hotel is very convenient for the shops and train station, I couldn't comment on the car park as we came by train, however, it did look a bit small. The entertainment on Friday evening was very good in the lounge area, he hadn't finished when we went up to our room, & we couldn't hear a thing, didn't go into the Irish bar downstairs, not our scene. I wouln't hesitate to return to this hotel, it suited us fine, and I wouldn't say that we are easily pleased.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
2 Thank roberts1963
Leicestershire
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The room looks nice when you first enter, but on closer inspection, shoddy paint work,curtains that don't fit. We asked for a quiet room,not a chance. I asked how long the noise was going to go on for. Only to be told it was the entertainment and there was nothing to do about it.
We arrived to find a queue at reception all asking about car parking all to be told there was none. We had to find our own, so round and round we went, southport is very badly signposted on the car park front.
We arrived on valentines day and expected a special evening meal. NO CHANCE no red roses, chocci hearts, just one poor over worked waitress and a waiter at the door. I had pate, no biscs. The sticky toffee cake was finished, replaced with two very similar puddings. What a disaster for a meal. Uninteresting menu full stop.
Pool closes at 7.30 and will open at 9.00am Sat and with the last entrance to the pool at 15.00, that is if you can find it. You have to go through the Irish bar down a couple of flights of stairs and it does not smell fresh. I could go on and on. Even on a bargain break this is not worth it. Any one who reads my reviews know I do not look at trip adviser but make my own mind. Even clean sheets and towels do not cover for this one.

Room Tip: DON'T BOTHER. STAY AWAY. I stayed at a better B& B round the corner lot cheaper and a lot b...
1 Thank seasoneddiver
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

As a Southport resident, I must agree with all the detractors of this dreadful establishment. Back in the late 80's and 90's this was without a doubt the flagship hotel in Southport and having stayed there myself several times, I used it extensively for visting guests and business colleagues. However, since Britannia have taken it over, the hotel has quickly declined and turned into the worst hotel in the area. You only have to take a look at the exterior of the hotel now to see what an eyesore the place is now, and it must be one of the first things that the many tousists arriving by coach into the town centre see on their arrival. Britannia have now taken over the Prince of Wales Hotel and Pontins and they seem to be doing an equally determined job at destroying those business's as well. This is not doing Southport's reputation any good at all and I only wish the tourist board would tell Britannia to pack their bags and get out of our town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank bishopbrennan
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed in a basic room at the Scarisbrick for 3 nights whilst visiting friends in Southport.

Upon arrival, we were greeted at reception by a rather grumpy woman who made us feel like we were being an inconvenience when we queried a £3 PP charge to our room tariff that we had not be made aware of when we booked online. An extra £6 per couple should definitely be mentioned at some point in the booking process, but we had to pay it.

Our room was booked on room-only basis as we were visiting/eating with friends, so I cannot comment on the food quality.

The room we had was very small, and very basic, but given how little time we spent in the hotel, it suited us - but probably only because we had very little luggage etc. We didn't sleep too well over the weekend as there is a nightclub/pub underneath the hotel and there was a lot of noise with people leaving - about 2am!

Another issue for us was that on two of the mornings (we were only there 3 nights) the fire alarm went off about 8-9am. This was a false alarm on both occasions, but that's not much good when you've jumped up out your bed in a fright and hurried downstairs. We were a bit disgruntled that no staff member came to tell us not to bother, nor did they mention it at check-out. We were a bit grumpy about this happening twice during our very short stay.

On the plus side, the location of the hotel is ideal - right in the centre of Lord Street. Plenty of bars and shops around, and the hotel is an ideal base to see the town.

The staff in the hotel seemed pleasant enough - all except for the reception staff who tended to 'grunt' at us on the two occasions we approached them - once at check in when we queried the extra charge, and once shortly after, on the same day when we had to request towels for our room, as only two hand towels had been provided. We arrived back to our room a short time afterwards to find two towels dumped at the outside of our room door. Classy.

I probably would stay here again, but really only because it was a good base to get out and about. I'd only stay if I got a cheap room rate, there are other nicer places in Southport if you want to spend a bit more than this.

Room Tip: Don't pay over the odds.. look elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dippy99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was very dubious when I found that the couple travelling with us wanted to book into this hotel. The reviews on Tripadvisor were most alarming. In the event the experience was much better than I expected. There was a place to park. From this we found a rather dreary and unimpressive entrance to the hotel with a drab foyer and an uninspiring reception desk. The bars and disco were large and loud and the former very crowded. It was a trek to our room which was in a newer wing apparently freshly decorated but in a 1980s style. Our room was large and clean. The bedlinen was spotless (I searched it thoroughly after the reviews on this page!), although the bed itself was quite small for a double. The bathroom was large, recently refitted and clean. Our room was quiet, although our friends next door could hear the actual words of some of our conversations. Breakfast was served in a pleasant room and the food although buffet style was well cooked and plentiful with a range of choices. As it was such good value and such a convenient position I would go there again but would avoid times when it was likely to be busy with large groups of noisy youngsters.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cloisters wing. This seemed to well away from the bars on the ground floor
1 Thank chris d