“not what i expected”

Scarisbrick Hotel Southport
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed September 6, 2013

we stayed in one of the suites which had a huge bedroom with a four poster bed and our own jacuzzi in the bathroom,it was great. is it the most modern hotel i have ever stayed in? no, but it has been there for over a hundred years, it has history, character & traditon, the spindles leisue facility adjoined to it definatly needs some money spending on it though, that could be a lot better. but all in all enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: pick one of the named suites.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Worst night I have ever had in a hotel!!! My partner and I had booked a double room only to find on arrival it was a twin! Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem as I would push the 2 beds together but because they were different heights it didn't really work out! The on suite bathroom was clearly designed for a dwarf, having to put one leg around the sink pedestal to sit on the toilet! It would of also helped if the shower worked :/ As we couldn't sleep on the literal bed of rock we decided to watch what has to be a world record for the smallest ever tv (roughly the size of an ipad) The next morning we both fancied a cup of tea but as there was a kettle and two mugs but no tea bags or coffee sachets this was not possible :( on check out I mentioned a couple of the problems I could think of at reception on which they said I should of called them from the telephone in the room, Which happened to be half kicked under the bed on the floor as there was no bed side table !!! All in all a truly atrocious nights stay !!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank JamesDavidB
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed in room 303 for one night ...? Thankfully ! We didn't have the farce with trying to park our car as we had come on the train, only from Liverpool so lucky there, however I think that's where our luck ran out unfortunately ! The entrance hall and reception area smelt extremely stale, a concoction of booze, fags and a sewerage aroma thrown in for good measure . once checked in after 3 pm which I felt was quite late in the day we took the stinky lift to our room. While our room was spacious enough it was by far airey as the windows had safety catches on to prevent us opening them too far as a health and safety measure , I on the other hand suspect it was stop the guests jumping out to put themselves out of the misery of where they had actually 'paid' to stay . Our bathroom seemed to be clean and pleasant enough however the sink was so close to the loo you had to get yourself at a sideways angle to sit down..... Hilarious! We had paid up front for our room when we booked and had paid for a bottle of Rose on our arrival..... Was it there in the room ? Nah ! Neither were towels and we had One shower gel between us both ! I'd usually bring all my toiletries myself but as it was only a one nighrpt stay and having luggage on the train I kept what I was taking to a limit and was relying on theirs.We finally got an answer at reception after about 20 mins of trying and was told wine,towels and shower gel would be brought to our room...... Guess what ? They weren't and an hour passed before I had to get back on the phone again.... By this time I was in dire need of a shower in an inadequately ventilated room with nothing to drink either . It was finally sorted and no apology given me of course, I was just pleased to see a clean towel etc so I could enjoy a shower ! That night we were awoken by the revellers of course however not by the loud music thankfully, I don't know whether the club below was open that night. The 'Big Brittania Breakfast' that was advertised on posters in the hallway was vile ! Cold toast and greasy black Pud .... Yeuch ! Not worth the money at all ! All in all we won't be back ! Oh ! And for those of you wondering about the quaint Victorian decor..... There's plenty of it in the form of filthy, greasy dust on a most all surfaces , looks like its been there since Victoria's reign anyways !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey F
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our trip was to celebrate and meet with family who live in Southport for a 40th birthday party and the christening of my great niece and nephew. We nearly didn't go due to my mother suffering a stroke only days before but as she was determined not to miss her great grandchildrens christening so she travelled the 6 hours or so to get to Southport.

The hotel hum........

First night we dinned in the Knightsbridge restaurant, if you can call it that. There were 16 of us and the food was diabolical. It was buffet style, no one was in charge of it and even as early as 7pm the food was dried and stuck to the metal trays it was served in. The staff although pleasant need training and certainly a boost to help improve morale (but who can blame them working at the Scarisbrick). You could not get a drink at the bar because the same person had to wait on tables with the drinks as well as running the bar so we had no alternative but wait for refreshments, drinking wine with your meal was not an option.

I shared a disabled room with my mother. The sink was so low it was for wheelchair access only and was even difficult for my mother to reach, the taps would not turn off, the shower temperature could not be regulated, therefore I only subjected my mother to it once and there was no bath mat to step out onto making the whole area unsafe. The chars in the main room had seen better days, we're dusty and threadbare and the television looked like a throwback to the 1980's. The beds for a disabled person were old and too soft and resulted in my mum falling out of bed on our first night.

If that was not enough - The biggest upset was the noise. Our room almong with my brother and sister were on the same floor. We had requested this so we could all share in the care of my mother. We were directly above and opposite clubs that played loud music until 2am - and on one occasion 3am. Allowing for the shouting, arguing and drinking amongst those leaving the bars it was impossible to get any sleep until the early hours. On the first night my mum was so fretful I had to hold her hand to go to sleep. I have no problem with people enjoying themselves and listening to music until the early hours but why put disabled facilities directly above and why are they not soundproofed.

Reception took on board our complaints but could not move us as the hotel was full (surprisingly enough). Had we not had a fully packed family weekend planned and no time to source alternative accommodation we would have checked out, although I now know why they take full payment of your hotel accommodation upon arrival and not as is normal practice upon departure.

Breakfast was equally disappointing, toast wet and warm as it is cooked in large batches and kept warm and soggy under warming lights, no fresh tea or coffee, hot water in jugs service without a smile, queues to get a table, which is not good for the disabled, especially having waited upto 10 minutes for the lift.

Overall, a once obviously charming Victorian hotel is now a run down, noisy, grubby place and the last thing you want to see when you sit in the courtyard come ally at the side of the hotel in the sunshine enjoying a glass of something is items left by the bar revellers the night before and the homeless (who you are obviously sympathetic too) trying to find a place to rest.

Quite frankly our whole experience of staying at this hotel was extremely unpleasant and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I cannot add any tips at all!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Georgina S
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It started badly when I went to pay with the credit card I had reserved the room with, if you use a credit card it cost an extra £2. It will also cost you extra to book in earlier, most hotels are 2pm but this one 3pm, book out later, most hotels are 11am this one 10am, car park across the road at another hotel because the car park is so small and use the leisure facilities.

We booked in and went to our room that turned out to be a cupboard with no windows, we complained and were moved to a bigger room with a window. This one was ok but the sink was cracked and it was very tired looking and bed was uncomfortable. Breakfast was terrible with no fresh coffee and thermos jugs of hot water on the table, the toast was made in huge batches and just left under the warming lights. The breakfast room windows were so dirty you could barely see out of them.

This hotel needs a major facelift, fewer extra charges and training to improve staff morale.

Room Tip: Don't, just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tonyhm
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel wiv my mum and7 of her friends.They,d booked a weekend away to liverpool,but for reasons wevdont know they changed us to this place. You enter a small ,smelly and untidy reception...even smaller when two coach loads turned up at same time!!.The reception staff are unhelpful and rude ,no times of dinnerbor breakfast till we asked .A lot of people on.our coach were elderly and infirm ..and had to queue for over a hour!!There is only one small lift that could only fit one wheelchair.
Dinner was at 6 it was poorly set out,and again you had to queue ...how noone ended up wearing someones soup is beyond me! If you wanted a drink with your meal you were told quite rudely ...go to the bar. As for breakfast wat a joke ...we had to be downstairs to have breakfast at 730 any later u didnt get any!! It was cold ,cheap rate breakfast ..and u had to ask for water for your tea and coffee (which the teabags n instant coffee stuck in a bowl) One of mums friends asked 4 times for water!! But the worse is ...they dont tell you....your above a nightclub..which doesnt finish till 5 in the morning...so dont think yout going to have a peaceful sleep...wait till you get home!!Local people of southport ..even laugh and say oh ur there ..god help you its the worse hotel in southport...so b warned!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank tracysmyth
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I should have been staying at the above hotel tonight but I have just got back home after what I can only describe as a debacle courtesy of your above hotel. Firstly, we got there an hour early and we were told very abruptly by a young man with glasses on reception that we could not check in until 3. We then chose to leave our bags on reception and go for a drink. We came back to the hotel at 3pm to se people queuing out on to lord street due to a coach party from Leeds being diverted to this hotel from Liverpool!!. Although I booked the room 2 weeks in advance we were then told there was "not room to put us in a big bedroom" we went to look at the room and it was an insult! there was no ventilation (room 230) Their was little room to move around and a wardrobe had ben placed in front of the washing basin meaning you could not get to the sink! The only window in the room was also a skylight!! My wife to be then went to collect here evening wear from the reception to find it had been thrown on the floor! This behaviour was totally un acceptable and I therefore decided we were not staying and asked for a full refund as I was paying the full rate of £65!! for a box room that was totally inadequate. I was then told I could not have a refund but told them it was my consumer right as I had not received adequate service from them. After some conflabbing with their faceless manager I was given the refund but I feel the service that I received was appalling. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in by a country mile and I am shocked that Britannia is allowing its reputation to be sullied by such incompetence. I trust you will make the necessary changes from this complaint. I would not send my pet cat to stay at this hotel never mind full paying adults!!

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay...Even better avoid this hotel if at all possible!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple