2,275 results
All reviews conservatory bar promenade view front facing spa facilities steam room evening meal large hotel bit dated short break sea front buffet style enjoyable stay my mum self service lovely room night break lord street
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed this at this hotel for five days with a fairly large group.
Location - five stars. It is right on the sea front. Yes, you do have to pay for parking, but that is not uncommon in hotels so close to the sea or in city centres.
Food - Also five stars, both for breakfast and evening meal. We chose the evening meal from a set menu due to the party size but it was much better than you usually get in such circumstances. Plenty of choice.
Staff - Also five stars. In fact, I would like to give them ten stars if I could. The staff are really what makes this hotel stand out. Nothing was too much trouble, and they always had smiles on their faces. They looked as if they really enjoyed their jobs, particularly Zenna who kept us entertained and had boundless energy and Emily, one of the waitresses who served us so efficiently and pleasantly over the week. I would also like to single out the housekeeping manager who very kindly posted my jacket back to me, when I left it behind.
Overall, I have to give this hotel four stars because it does need updating and we did experience a few minor technical difficulties during the week. But I'm sure when the re-furbishment is complete, it will be five stars across the board.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
gmroyalclifton, General Manager at Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Marie W,

Thank you for your lovely review, which really is most welcomed.
We are indeed blessed with a great location.
And I am delighted with your comments about the food and in particular the staff, who make all the difference.
Zenna and Emily will be so please to have received a personal mention. Good news that your jacket was returned to you too.

Thanks again for your lovely comments and hope to see you back at the hotel soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travel agent booked this hotel for outing at Royal Birkdale and wonder why he bothered. It was in ill-repair. Our room, #114, was awful. Carpet was threadbare, there were water stains on the ceiling in the bathroom. The curtains and wall paper were straight out of the 1930's. I understand and appreciate older hotels for their ambience, but this was dilapidated. There was paint peeling off the walls of the hall outside our room. The elevator was non-functioning on arrival as well as departure. We picked up clumps of hair underneath the dressing table. It was a very disappointing end to our otherwise wonderful trip to the UK for golf and R & R. I'm sorry I cannot say anything good except an inflow of cash to refurbish would help immensely! Don't book here!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank dcorbittmd

Dear dcorbittmd,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your experience with us did not match the rest of your trip.
We have refurbished 80 of our 120 bedrooms in the last 12 months, and have plans to complete the remainder in the near future.
Unfortunately 114 was not covered in the last program, though we hope will be included soon.
I'm particularly concerned regarding the housekeeping element you raised, and will follow this up with the housekeeping manager.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Give it a miss - breakfast chaotic and service appalling - better off going onto Lord Street and finding a nice cafe. Make sure you aware of the car parking charge even if you travel on the train ! Really lets the standard down badly !

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Bob R,

Thanks for your review and sorry to read we didn't meet your expectations.
I think we have received direct feedback from you on our internal review system and will be in touch directly to follow up with you.

With best regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose it because we needed a hotel which could guarantee guest rooms on the ground floor as one of our party cannot climb stairs. Rooms were clean, but furniture was old and tired (wardrobes didn't shut properly, chipped Formica on bedside cabinets, drawer handles loose or missing, Windows difficult or impossible to open, towel heater broken). Breakfast was just OK, nothing special. Staff were lovely. If you can get a bargain break here, then it's worth considering, but don't expect luxury. If you don't need ground floor rooms, there are better and cheaper places. There were no ground floor single rooms, so we had to pay for single occupancy of a room for three, which was £85 per night (b&b). That felt extortionate for a poor standard room, but single travellers, especially with mobility difficulties, often pay more.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Quatro48,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am sorry that the room did not meet your expectations. We have refurbished 80 of our 120 bedrooms in the last 12 months. Unfortunately the ground floor rooms were not covered in that program, but we do hope to include them on the next.
I do take some encouragement from your comments regarding the staff. They do make a difference to the guest experience, and it is nice you took time to give them a mention.
Our prices are very much linked to demand, and whilst they do vary according to what's happening locally and the day of week, I am confident that our rates reflect great value in the town.
With very best regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here for two nights with a buy a gift present from friends, the initial booking of the hotel was easy enough with a confirmation e-mail confirming the booking after we had given the gift number. When we arrived we walked to check in to be told that we needed the buy a gift booking number or we could not check in, despite showing the receipt we had received from the hotel confirming our stay. The male receptionist was confident that we needed this, so after 5 minutes of checking e-mails and not finding anything of use we faced the prospect of not being able to stay and not able to drive 2 hours back as we had a beer with lunch upon arriving as you do on holiday. Fortunately my wife asked the female receptionist if we could check in as we had a hotel confirmation e mail and a printed form from the hotel with a booking reference when attempted the first time, we were advised this was not a problem so we checked in. At no point did the over confident male apologise and generally appeared to lack any awareness of the stress he caused. The room was clean with a view of a brick wall and everywhere looked clean, not sure if we would have paid to stay as first impressions can last and the first contact we had with a staff member was a negative experience, we would have rated the hotel as average if it were not for this.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple